Can no longer name files when i save them RRS feed

• Question

• When i hit Save As there used to be a bar where you could name your file.  No there is no longer that option so i just names my word document whatever the first few words are.  On top of that, there used to be a drop-down menu where you could choose different locations to save, and now... nothing.  Help me how this is very annoying!  

I'l also add in that i didn't change any options prior to this issue, although i had installed a windows update, which i hadn't done in months.

As i went to attach this picture I hit open to find my screenshot and the same thing, no dropdown menu.  So it only shows this one random folder and there's no way use the explorer.

Then this site wouldn't allow me to include an image....... totally buying a mac next time.  

But in the meantime, any help?

Tuesday, March 17, 2015 9:46 PM

Answers

• what happens when you try this in safe mode ? 

Arnav Sharma | http://arnavsharma.net/ Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Marked as answer by arnavsharma Sunday, March 29, 2015 11:44 PM
    Tuesday, March 17, 2015 11:25 PM
  • Which version of Office are you using? If you cant upload a screen shot, could you go into more detail on what you see when you click save as?

Wednesday, March 18, 2015 10:23 AM
  • Hi Brett555,

We wonder if there is any luck your issue has been resolved, if you've found solution by yourself. We would appreciate it if you could share with us and we will mark it as answer.

I am supposing you have this issue when you try to save files every time not just in office. Since It is possibly that this issue caused by certain software installation, as arnavsharma mentioned that please check your issue under safe mode.

If this issue persists, try creating a new user account and check if the issue persists there.

If it works in a new user account then you need to fix the corrupt user profile. You may visit this link for the steps:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/Windows7/Fix-a-corrupted-user-profile

If this issue happened recently, please check any action you took or restore your system to earlier point.

Regards

D. Wu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, March 23, 2015 1:39 AM

All replies

• what happens when you try this in safe mode ? 

Arnav Sharma | http://arnavsharma.net/ Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, March 17, 2015 11:25 PM
  • Which version of Office are you using? If you cant upload a screen shot, could you go into more detail on what you see when you click save as?

Wednesday, March 18, 2015 10:23 AM
  • Hi Brett555,

We wonder if there is any luck your issue has been resolved, if you've found solution by yourself. We would appreciate it if you could share with us and we will mark it as answer.

I am supposing you have this issue when you try to save files every time not just in office. Since It is possibly that this issue caused by certain software installation, as arnavsharma mentioned that please check your issue under safe mode.

If this issue persists, try creating a new user account and check if the issue persists there.

If it works in a new user account then you need to fix the corrupt user profile. You may visit this link for the steps:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/Windows7/Fix-a-corrupted-user-profile

If this issue happened recently, please check any action you took or restore your system to earlier point.

Regards

D. Wu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, March 23, 2015 1:39 AM