How to enable connectivity logs on Exchange 2013 EDGE server RRS feed

• Question

• Hello guys,

I'm in need of your assistance. I'm not very good with Exchange and I need to fix some things.

I'm not sure what is wrong but I don't have connectivity logs on my Exchange 2013 EDGE server. Newest log is from 19.10.2015. and location is C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V15\TransportRoles\Logs\Edge\Connectivity.

I think, it stopped logging when I turned on protocol logging on my Exchange Mailbox server.

My problem is, that I can't find logs that are produced when someone is connecting to my MX by telnet and trying to send a message. We were testing some thing and we had a situation, when we connected by telnet, provided all necessary info and started writing a message, suddenly connection was lost. I need to find log of that so I can check what is a problem.

Here is what we did by telnet:

220 EXEDGE.server.pl Microsoft ESMTP MAIL Service ready at Wed, 20 Apr 2016 09:26:12 +0200

ehlo proximus

250-EXEDGE.server.pl Hello [194.78.2.94]

250-SIZE 36700160

250-DSN

250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES

250-STARTTLS

250-X-ANONYMOUSTLS

250-X-EXPS NTLM

250-8BITMIME

250-BINARYMIME

250-CHUNKING

250-XEXCH50

250 XSHADOW

mail from: someone@server2.be

250 2.1.0 Sender OK

rcpt to: someoneelse@server.pl

250 2.1.5 Recipient OK

data

test spearit

Connection to host lost.

It dropper connection when I expected "mail queued for delivery" message.If you need any additional info, please just ask.

Any help would be appreciated.

Have a nice day.

Adi

Wednesday, April 20, 2016 8:47 AM

Answers

• It should be in message tracking.

If you are looking for SMTP protocol logs, those are located at:

\\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V15\TransportRoles\Logs\Edge\ProtocolLog

You can enable those:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb124531(v=exchg.150).aspx

Don't perform this procedure on an Edge Transport server that has been subscribed to the Exchange organization by using EdgeSync. Instead, make the changes in the Transport service on the Mailbox server. The changes are then replicated to the Edge Transport server next time EdgeSync synchronization occurs.

Blog:    Twitter:   

• Proposed as answer by Mike Crowley Wednesday, April 20, 2016 3:24 PM
    • Marked as answer by Allen_WangJF Tuesday, May 3, 2016 1:43 AM
    Wednesday, April 20, 2016 12:15 PM

All replies

• It should be in message tracking.

If you are looking for SMTP protocol logs, those are located at:

\\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V15\TransportRoles\Logs\Edge\ProtocolLog

You can enable those:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb124531(v=exchg.150).aspx

Don't perform this procedure on an Edge Transport server that has been subscribed to the Exchange organization by using EdgeSync. Instead, make the changes in the Transport service on the Mailbox server. The changes are then replicated to the Edge Transport server next time EdgeSync synchronization occurs.

• Proposed as answer by Mike Crowley Wednesday, April 20, 2016 3:24 PM
    • Marked as answer by Allen_WangJF Tuesday, May 3, 2016 1:43 AM
    Wednesday, April 20, 2016 12:15 PM
  • Hi Andy,

thank you for your reply.

As for SMTP Receive logs, folder C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V15\TransportRoles\Logs\Edge\ProtocolLog\SmtpReceive is empty.

It could be, that I made changes on Edge server as I have folder on C:\SMTP Logs and is populated with files containing logs for one month. Is there a way to discard those changes and fix that mess?

I was checking those logs but I can't locate connection made by telnet that I mentioned in previous post.

Regards

Adi

Wednesday, April 20, 2016 1:40 PM
  • Hi Andy,

thank you for your reply.

As for SMTP Receive logs, folder C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V15\TransportRoles\Logs\Edge\ProtocolLog\SmtpReceive is empty.

It could be, that I made changes on Edge server as I have folder on C:\SMTP Logs and is populated with files containing logs for one month. Is there a way to discard those changes and fix that mess?

I was checking those logs but I can't locate connection made by telnet that I mentioned in previous post.

Regards

Adi

Use that doc to enable and verify the location of the logs.

If the Edge is synced, do this from a mailbox server.

Wednesday, April 20, 2016 1:48 PM