none
how can I fix my dynamic All Distribution Group to not include the Microsoft Exchange System Attendant mailbox address? RRS feed

• Question

• Whenever a user in our organization sends an email to the all@ourdomain.com they get a failure delivery report message back stating that they could not send to ourexchangeserver-sa@ourdomain.com (I am generalizing of course assuming this will be seen by the public, the "sa" part of the address is obviously system attendant, but the actual address shown has our real exchange server name before the "-sa").  We cannot find any info on this issue anywhere, but after doing some research I have to conclude there is something amiss with the system attendant mailbox as we have had mailbox move issues in the past (they may not be related but I am not discounting the possibility).  Please help!  Much thanks everyone.
    Wednesday, September 26, 2012 11:48 PM

Answers

• On Wed, 26 Sep 2012 23:48:37 +0000, Verde Valley Tech Support wrote:

>Whenever a user in our organization sends an email to the all@ourdomain.com they get a failure delivery report message back stating that they could not send to ourexchangeserver-sa@ourdomain.com (I am generalizing of course assuming this will be seen by the public, the "sa" part of the address is obviously system attendant, but the actual address shown has our real exchange server name before the "-sa"). We cannot find any info on this issue anywhere, but after doing some research I have to conclude there is something amiss with the system attendant mailbox as we have had mailbox move issues in the past (they may not be related but I am not discounting the possibility). Please help! Much thanks everyone.

The Microsoft System Attendant is a directory object found in the
    Configuration naming context of the AD. It shouldn't be in the Domain
    naming context where it can be discovered by "normal" operations.

In Exchange 2010 you'll find the object here:

CN=Microsoft System Attendant,CN=<server>,CN=Servers,CN=Exchange
    Administrative Group (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT),CN=Administrative
    Groups,CN=<organization>,CN=Microsoft
    Exchange,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=<domain>,DC=<tld>

Can you see the mailbox in the Exchange Management Console? You
    shouldn't.

What is the OPATH query your DDL uses?

---
    Rich Matheisen
    MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

--- Rich Matheisen MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
    Thursday, September 27, 2012 1:17 AM
  • On Tue, 2 Oct 2012 00:09:59 +0000, Verde Valley Tech Support wrote:

>Also another question. Is there anyway to escalate this issue to support, and only have to pay for the support call if the issue is due to our configuration and is not due to a Microsoft bug with Exchange?

MS doesn't charge you if it's their problem. They will ask for a
    credit card before you'll get to the support folks, though.

>Not that I am unhappy with all the help you have given me, I realize this is a forum and you get what you get. But I think I may need step by step guidance considering my lack of knowledge in both Exchange and PowerScript.

If your time is worth anything (and most people think it is) then call
    MS support. There are things that take 15 minutes on the phone (or by
    giving the tech control of the machine) that take ages in a forum
    back-and-forth.

>If not, I will do the best I can with what you have given me. And if I have reached the end of what free advice on a forum will get me, thanks very much for all your time and efforts. I do appreciate it, but I am not getting anywhere on this issue, which is really more my problem than any but I don't have it in my budget to shell out dollars for this right now. Thanks!

MS probably isn't going to do it for free. I really don't think you've
    discovered any bug in the Exchange product, but you may have something
    unusual in the AD. That's what we've been trying to to.

---
    Rich Matheisen
    MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

Tuesday, October 2, 2012 2:38 AM

All replies

• On Wed, 26 Sep 2012 23:48:37 +0000, Verde Valley Tech Support wrote:

>Whenever a user in our organization sends an email to the all@ourdomain.com they get a failure delivery report message back stating that they could not send to ourexchangeserver-sa@ourdomain.com (I am generalizing of course assuming this will be seen by the public, the "sa" part of the address is obviously system attendant, but the actual address shown has our real exchange server name before the "-sa"). We cannot find any info on this issue anywhere, but after doing some research I have to conclude there is something amiss with the system attendant mailbox as we have had mailbox move issues in the past (they may not be related but I am not discounting the possibility). Please help! Much thanks everyone.

The Microsoft System Attendant is a directory object found in the
    Configuration naming context of the AD. It shouldn't be in the Domain
    naming context where it can be discovered by "normal" operations.

In Exchange 2010 you'll find the object here:

CN=Microsoft System Attendant,CN=<server>,CN=Servers,CN=Exchange
    Administrative Group (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT),CN=Administrative
    Groups,CN=<organization>,CN=Microsoft
    Exchange,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=<domain>,DC=<tld>

Can you see the mailbox in the Exchange Management Console? You
    shouldn't.

What is the OPATH query your DDL uses?

---
    Rich Matheisen
    MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

Thursday, September 27, 2012 1:17 AM
  • I will apologize in advance as as my desktop experience hours vs my server hours logged is outnumbered 3:1 so I am not all that well versed in the LDAP stuff.  I am not really an exchange admin either, just learning as I go.

So first I should note here that based on this technet blog article I found on the subject, I was under the impression my SA mailbox should be visible in the mailboxes node.  It is not visible however.  I am not able to locate any AD object associated with the exserver-SA@ email address either in the Exchange Management Console or in the AD Users and Comps tool.

Here's the blog article link: http://blogs.technet.com/b/evand/archive/2004/12/21/329172.aspx

So I assume I am looking in the wrong place.  The only way I even was able to figure out the address was generated for use by the System Attendant was that I was trying to associate the SMTP address with a mailbox so it would stop failing when the user sends to the All group.  Then it mentioned I could not because it was already associate with MS Exchange System Attendant.  Thank goodness it didn't work I might have really messed things up I now realize after some research on the subject.

So knowing that the mailbox isn't visible, and as you say should not be, do I still then need to find out what my OPATH query is?  I don't even know what DDL is so I will need to you elaborate on that if you need the info to help me figure this out.  Thanks so much for checking this out, I haven't been able to find anything on this problem and it is such a minor issue I really feel we should not have to pay MS a chunk of change to get a support call.  Your help is greatly appreciated!

Tyler Kepple Verde Valley Tech Support - AAS Computing Systems and Applications - A+ Certified

Thursday, September 27, 2012 4:24 PM
  • Oh also I did look at the preview of the All user group member list in the properties of the dynamic distribution lists, and it does not show the System Attendant as one of the recipients, which is why this all the more perplexing.  I am wondering if it is possible there is some kind of issue with System Attendant mailbox?  However I don't see any 9715 errors in the log as the technet article suggested would be if the SA mailbox was messed up somehow.  Sorry this is all I really know on the issue as I said I am not that versed in Exchange Admin or the LDAP commands/scripts/queries.  Thanks!

Tyler Kepple Verde Valley Tech Support - AAS Computing Systems and Applications - A+ Certified

Thursday, September 27, 2012 4:41 PM
  • Oh OK der DDL = Dynamic Distribution List right?  Sorry took a bit for the coffee to kick in today.  I assume what I mentioned earlier that I previewed the output for (the DDL members) is what you are referring to, the OPATH query.  It looks like this:

((-not(CustomAttribute1 -eq 'exclude')) -and (-not(Name -like 'SystemMailbox{*')) -and (-not(Name -like 'CAS_{*')) -and (-not(RecipientTypeDetailsValue -eq 'MailboxPlan')) -and (-not(RecipientTypeDetailsValue -eq 'DiscoveryMailbox')) -and (-not(RecipientTypeDetailsValue -eq 'ArbitrationMailbox')))

So that is what is in the Filter Tab of the All DDL properties box.  Maybe I am wrong but it seems this is the query that populates the list members, which as I said the Output preview does not include the SA mailbox.  So yeah pretty stumped here.

Thursday, September 27, 2012 8:24 PM
  • On Thu, 27 Sep 2012 16:24:22 +0000, Verde Valley Tech Support wrote:

>
    >
    >I will apologize in advance as as my desktop experience hours vs my server hours logged is outnumbered 3:1 so I am not all that well versed in the LDAP stuff. I am not really an exchange admin either, just learning as I go.
    >
    >So first I should note here that based on this technet blog article I found on the subject, I was under the impression my SA mailbox should be visible in the mailboxes node. It is not visible however. I am not able to locate any AD object associated with the exserver-SA@ email address either in the Exchange Management Console or in the AD Users and Comps tool.
    >
    >Here's the blog article link: http://blogs.technet.com/b/evand/archive/2004/12/21/329172.aspx

Are you referring to the sentence "There is also a mailbox object,
    stored in the first Mailbox store created on an Exchange 200x server"?

If so, it's referring to the mailbox (in the mailbox database), not an
    object in the directory. The System Attendant mailbox directory object
    is in the Configuration naming context of the AD.

If you run this you'll find the mailbox:

"get-mailboxstatistics -server <server> | where {$_.displayname -like
    "microsoft sys*"} | fl

>So I assume I am looking in the wrong place. The only way I even was able to figure out the address was generated for use by the System Attendant was that I was trying to associate the SMTP address with a mailbox so it would stop failing when the user sends to the All group. Then it mentioned I could not because it was already associate with MS Exchange System Attendant. Thank goodness it didn't work I might have really messed things up I now realize after some research on the subject.
    >
    >So knowing that the mailbox isn't visible, and as you say should not be, do I still then need to find out what my OPATH query is? I don't even know what DDL is so I will need to you elaborate on that if you need the info to help me figure this out.

DDL = Dynamic Distribution List :-)

>Thanks so much for checking this out, I haven't been able to find anything on this problem and it is such a minor issue I really feel we should not have to pay MS a chunk of change to get a support call. Your help is greatly appreciated!
    >
    >
    >Tyler Kepple Verde Valley Tech Support - AAS Computing Systems and Applications - A+ Certified

---
    Rich Matheisen
    MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

Friday, September 28, 2012 3:30 AM
  • On Thu, 27 Sep 2012 16:41:56 +0000, Verde Valley Tech Support wrote:

>Oh also I did look at the preview of the All user group member list in the properties of the dynamic distribution lists, and it does not show the System Attendant as one of the recipients, which is why this all the more perplexing. I am wondering if it is possible there is some kind of issue with System Attendant mailbox?

I'm not sure I'd start there.

>However I don't see any 9715 errors in the log as the technet article suggested would be if the SA mailbox was messed up somehow. Sorry this is all I really know on the issue as I said I am not that versed in Exchange Admin or the LDAP commands/scripts/queries. Thanks!

Have a look at the message tracking logs for the message sent to the
    DDL. Is there an EXPAND event? If there is (and there should be) the
    addresses that were the result of the expansion are found towards the
    end of the line (and there are probably a lot of them). It may be
    easier to use the get-messagetrackinglog cmdlet and get the stuff into
    a CSV file to look at it. I don't think you'll find the SA mailbox in
    that list.

Another way to look for the message is to search for the recipient
    server-sa@domain.com and see where it came from.

---
    Rich Matheisen
    MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

Friday, September 28, 2012 3:36 AM
  • On Thu, 27 Sep 2012 20:24:52 +0000, Verde Valley Tech Support wrote:

>
    >
    >Oh OK der DDL = Dynamic Distribution List right? Sorry took a bit for the coffee to kick in today. I assume what I mentioned earlier that I previewed the output for (the DDL members) is what you are referring to, the OPATH query. It looks like this:
    >
    >((-not(CustomAttribute1 -eq 'exclude')) -and (-not(Name -like 'SystemMailbox{*')) -and (-not(Name -like 'CAS_{*')) -and (-not(RecipientTypeDetailsValue -eq 'MailboxPlan')) -and (-not(RecipientTypeDetailsValue -eq 'DiscoveryMailbox')) -and (-not(RecipientTypeDetailsValue -eq 'ArbitrationMailbox')))

That looks okay.

>So that is what is in the Filter Tab of the All DDL properties box. Maybe I am wrong but it seems this is the query that populates the list members, which as I said the Output preview does not include the SA mailbox. So yeah pretty stumped here.

That's why I said I wouldn't start looking for a problem with the SA
    mailbox.

You could always add another condition to the OPATH query and see if
    it helps, but I don't think it will:

-and(-not(name -eq 'Microsoft System Attendant'))

---
    Rich Matheisen
    MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

Friday, September 28, 2012 3:39 AM
  • Ok so the main course of action is to first look for that recipient address fro the SA and try to see what object and/or mailbox it is associated with?  Should I try the addition to the query string or should I wait until I can give you some more info on the address's point of origin?  Gonna try the search in the message tracking and get back to you.  Thanks again!

Friday, September 28, 2012 4:03 AM
  • Quick update: I am not able to search for the message in the message tracking tool because it prompts me to choose a user from the domain and as far as I know there isn't one.  How do I see what mailbox is associated with the address, is that what that command line you posted back there was for?

Friday, September 28, 2012 4:15 AM
  • On Fri, 28 Sep 2012 04:03:50 +0000, Verde Valley Tech Support wrote:

>Ok so the main course of action is to first look for that recipient address fro the SA and try to see what object and/or mailbox it is associated with?

YOu should already know that it's the Microsoft System Attendant that
    has the server-sa@domain.tld address assigneded to it.

What I said was to find the message sent to the DDL and have a look at
    the "EXPAND" event to find out if the server-sa@domain.tld address was
    included in the set of recpients.

>Should I try the addition to the query string or should I wait until I can give you some more info on the address's point of origin?

You can add the additional condition. I don't think it'll make a
    difference, but it isn't going to any harm either.

>Gonna try the search in the message tracking and get back to you. Thanks again!
    >
    >
    >Tyler Kepple Verde Valley Tech Support - AAS Computing Systems and Applications - A+ Certified

---
    Rich Matheisen
    MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

Friday, September 28, 2012 1:15 PM
  • On Fri, 28 Sep 2012 04:15:54 +0000, Verde Valley Tech Support wrote:

>Quick update: I am not able to search for the message in the message tracking tool because it prompts me to choose a user from the domain and as far as I know there isn't one.

Look for the SENDER of the message to the DDL. Then examine the EXPAND
    event for the list of recipients.

>How do I see what mailbox is associated with the address, is that what that command line you posted back there was for?

You don't have to use a mailbox name. Use the SMTP address. If message
    tracking required a mailbox name you'd never be able to find e-mail
    to/from addresses outside your organization. ;-)

---
    Rich Matheisen
    MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

Friday, September 28, 2012 1:18 PM
  • Ah ok sorry for the confusion, bad timing on responding on my part.  I am looking at this either late at night or early in the morning in mostly during those times I far less than sharp witted.  So I looked in the original sender's mailbox as that is the first field required, then in the second field chose the All group for the recipient.  I found the most recent message that failed and got the details for the event related to the sa address:

Delivery Report for  Microsoft System Attendant ‎(EXCHANGE-SA@ourdomain.com)‎

Submitted
    9/21/2012 2:07 PM EXCHANGE.OURDOMAIN.LOCAL
    The message was submitted to cocexchange.cottonwood.local.Group Expanded
    9/21/2012 2:07 PM exchange.ourdomain.local
    The list of members of the group "All" was expanded so that the message can be delivered to each recipient.Failed
    9/21/2012 2:07 PM exchange.ourdomain.local
    There's a problem with the recipients mailbox. Please try to resend your message later.

554 5.2.0 STOREDRV.Deliver.Exception:NoSupportException.MapiExceptionNoSupport; Failed to process message due to a permanent exception with message [0] There is no support for this operation. 16.55847:E1000000, 17.43559:02010480C2000000000000000000000000000000, 4.32881:02010480, 0.50035:07000000, 4.64625:02010480, 0.50128:00000000, 255.1494:00000000, 255.26426:FE000000, 4.12716:02010480, 0.20794:EC030000, 4.28474:02010480, 5.22330:0000000031342E30322E303239382E3030343A434F4345584348414E474500201DFAFFFF, 255.1750:0300230E, 0.50288:0F010480, 4.23354:02010480, 0.25913:2B0A0000, 255.21817:02010480, 0.26297:2B0A0000, 4.16585:02010480, 0.32441:2B0A0000, 4.1706:02010480, 0.24761:2B0A0000, 4.20665:02010480, 0.25785:0F010480, 4.29881:02010480 [Stage: CreateSession]

Ok so I am still censoring our domain name but the error messages are completely unaltered.  So maybe this helps to give some insight.  Easier to see the one that stands out in the tracking center tool as it is highlighted in red:

There's a problem with the recipients mailbox. Please try to resend your message later.

Ok so that would lead me to believe that there is an issue with the sa mailbox.  However I then noticed the other strings of intelligible text:

STOREDRV.Deliver.Exception:NoSupportException.MapiExceptionNoSupport; Failed to process message due to a permanent exception with message [0] There is no support for this operation.

And this at the end:

[Stage: CreateSession]

So for some reason it says it's trying to do an operation that there is no support for.  But it also looks like the error happens at CreateSession, which again to me would point to the SA mailbox being somehow compromised.  Not sure however since I am hardly an Exchange expert.  What do you make of it?

Friday, September 28, 2012 3:35 PM
  • Also, when I run that command in the MS Exchange PowerShell CLI I get an error:

[PS] C:\Windows\system32>"get-mailboxstatistics -server <server> | where {$_.displayname -like "microsoft sys*"} | fl
    Unexpected token 'microsoft' in expression or statement.
    At line:1 char:81
    + "get-mailboxstatistics -server <server> | where {$_.displayname -like "microsoft <<<<  sys*"} | fl
        + CategoryInfo          : ParserError: (microsoft:String) [], ParentContainsErrorRecordException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : UnexpectedToken

I copied your command to a notepad to get rid of the line-break that the forum inserted assuming it was not supposed to have one, and I tried it both with a quote at the very end and without since it seemed wrong of me to leave an unclosed quotation mark.  Either way I got pretty much the same result.  I tried it like this, wondering if maybe it needed the single quote character for the search parameter:

"get-mailboxstatistics -server <server> | where {$_.displayname -like 'microsoft sys*'} | fl"

And I didn't get an error that time but all I got in return was this:

get-mailboxstatistics -server <server> | where {.displayname -like 'microsoft sys*'} | fl

So I tried entering like that, without the quotes, and got the error again.  Don't really know powershell so  I kinda have no clue how to enter these commands properly.  Maybe you no longer need this output now that I have provided the Expand Details?  Which by the I noticed the Group Expand did Fail looking through that message error above.  I am trying to research some clues based on that info but not turning up much.  Hope I am providing you with some useful clues, this is a frustrating problem.

Friday, September 28, 2012 3:51 PM
  • Oh also, can you help me get that variable added?  It says in the dialog box that it cannot be done from the EMC that it must be the Shell.  I don't know power shell at all and don't want to fudge it up.  Can you help me with that? Unless you think I should pursue a different course of action based on the error info I provided.  Thanks!

Friday, September 28, 2012 3:59 PM
  • On Fri, 28 Sep 2012 15:51:15 +0000, Verde Valley Tech Support wrote:

>
    >
    >Also, when I run that command in the MS Exchange PowerShell CLI I get an error:
    >
    >
    >
    >[PS] C:\Windows\system32>"get-mailboxstatistics -server <server> | where {$_.displayname -like "microsoft sys*"} | fl Unexpected token 'microsoft' in expression or statement.

You copied the quote character at the beginning of my example. :-)

>At line:1 char:81 + "get-mailboxstatistics -server <server> | where {$_.displayname -like "microsoft <<<< sys*"} | fl + CategoryInfo : ParserError: (microsoft:String) [], ParentContainsErrorRecordException + FullyQualifiedErrorId : UnexpectedToken
    >
    >I copied your command to a notepad to get rid of the line-break that the forum inserted assuming it was not supposed to have one, and I tried it both with a quote at the very end and without since it seemed wrong of me to leave an unclosed quotation mark. Either way I got pretty much the same result. I tried it like this, wondering if maybe it needed the single quote character for the search parameter:
    >
    >"get-mailboxstatistics -server <server> | where {$_.displayname -like 'microsoft sys*'} | fl"
    >
    >And I didn't get an error that time but all I got in return was this:
    >
    >get-mailboxstatistics -server <server> | where {.displayname -like 'microsoft sys*'} | fl

This time you missed the "$_" in the "where" condition. It should be
    "{$_.displayname -like . . ." (without the quotes, of course!).

You're replacing the "<server>" with YOUR server's name, right?

You should get output the looks like this:

.. AssociatedItemCount : 0
    .. DeletedItemCount : 0
    .. DisconnectDate :
    .. DisplayName : Microsoft System Attendant
    .. ItemCount : 0
    .. LastLoggedOnUserAccount : NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
    .. LastLogoffTime : 9/28/2012 3:53:21 PM
    .. LastLogonTime : 9/28/2012 3:53:21 PM
    .. LegacyDN : /O=XXXX/OU=EXCHANGE ADMINISTRATIVE
    .. 2K7-VM1/CN=MICROSOFT SYSTEM ATTENDANT
    .. MailboxGuid : 93532e14-2ffa-405f-8049-f89a5489303d
    .. ObjectClass : Mailbox, SystemAttendantMailbox
    .. StorageLimitStatus : BelowLimit
    .. TotalDeletedItemSize : 0B
    .. TotalItemSize : 0B
    .. Database : E2K7-VM1\SG01\Mailbox Database
    .. ServerName : E2K7-VM1
    .. StorageGroupName : SG01
    .. DatabaseName : Mailbox Database
    .. Identity : 93532e14-2ffa-405f-8049-f89a5489303d
    .. IsValid : True

>So I tried entering like that, without the quotes, and got the error again. Don't really know powershell so I kinda have no clue how to enter these commands properly. Maybe you no longer need this output now that I have provided the Expand Details?

No, I'm afraid you haven't. You posted a delivery report (i.e. a DSN)
    and an exception report, but no message tracking results.

You're using the "Message Tracking" (for Exchange 2007), or "Tracking
    Log Explored" (Exchange 2010) item in the EMC "Toolbox" to track the
    message, correct?

>Which by the I noticed the Group Expand did Fail looking through that message error above. I am trying to research some clues based on that info but not turning up much. Hope I am providing you with some useful clues, this is a frustrating problem.

---
    Rich Matheisen
    MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

Friday, September 28, 2012 8:05 PM
  • On Fri, 28 Sep 2012 15:59:17 +0000, Verde Valley Tech Support wrote:

>Oh also, can you help me get that variable added? It says in the dialog box that it cannot be done from the EMC that it must be the Shell. I don't know power shell at all and don't want to fudge it up. Can you help me with that? Unless you think I should pursue a different course of action based on the error info I provided. Thanks!

What variable?

---
    Rich Matheisen
    MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

Friday, September 28, 2012 8:08 PM
  • OK I think I got it.  Dur again, I was typing in my server name but not taking out the chevron, I forget ms uses those to denote an example not as a literal character to type.  So I get the command entered with no error, but then nothing happens.  No output or error anything.  It just gives me the prompt again for the next command.  Does it output the info somewhere, or do I have to specify in the command to dump the info in a text file or something?  Sorry to ask obvious questions here but ya gotta assume I don't know despite being fairly knowledgeable.  I am somewhere in between. :)

Friday, September 28, 2012 8:19 PM
  • Also what is the expand info suppossed to look like?  As it turns out I was in the message tracking tool not the tracking log explorer.  So I know the subject of the email which is how I have been verifying I have the right one, but I can't find the message searching all@ourdomain.com, I have to search exchange-sa@ourdomain.com to get the message to appear.  There are a variety of event id's with the message, including expand, but it's just a table with a bunch of obvious info.  The only things that I didn't already know about the message from the email itself are the message id, event id, and internal message id, and I don't really see how those are going to help.  Please give me an idea of what info I am looking for the expand info as I don't think I am getting the right info here.  Thanks.

Friday, September 28, 2012 8:35 PM
  • OK I kept clicking through the next button on the tracking log tool and it took me to where I could see a table of the events for each recipient from the all group.  Yes I did find it using all@ourdomain.com finally.  So the only thing I see in the events list that is different from all the others, is that exchange-sa@ has a FAIL event instead of EXPAND and it has a different referenceID than all the other message events.  It has a value of:

a0b838d9-6fd4-4d02-a101-

I have no idea if that has significance at all but that is the only info that stands out when looking at the dataset.  Am I on the right track here?

Friday, September 28, 2012 8:42 PM
  • Oh and under recipient status it has this exact same info as the ndr had:

554 5.2.0 STOREDRV.Deliver.Exception:NoSupportException.MapiExceptionNoSupport; Failed to process message due to a permanent exception with message [0] There is no support for this operation. 16.55847:E1000000, 17.43559:02010480C2000000000000000000000000000000, 4.32881:02010480, 0.50035:07000000, 4.64625:02010480, 0.50128:00000000, 255.1494:00000000, 255.26426:FE000000, 4.12716:02010480, 0.20794:EC030000, 4.28474:02010480, 5.22330:0000000031342E30322E303239382E3030343A434F4345584348414E474500201DFAFFFF, 255.1750:0300230E, 0.50288:0F010480, 4.23354:02010480, 0.25913:2B0A0000, 255.21817:02010480, 0.26297:2B0A0000, 4.16585:02010480, 0.32441:2B0A0000, 4.1706:02010480, 0.24761:2B0A0000, 4.20665:02010480, 0.25785:0F010480, 4.29881:02010480 [Stage: CreateSession]

So not sure if I am in the right place seems to have the same info I already gave you in a different format :(

Friday, September 28, 2012 8:45 PM
  • On Fri, 28 Sep 2012 20:19:08 +0000, Verde Valley Tech Support wrote:

>OK I think I got it. Dur again, I was typing in my server name but not taking out the chevron, I forget ms uses those to denote an example not as a literal character to type. So I get the command entered with no error, but then nothing happens. No output or error anything. It just gives me the prompt again for the next command. Does it output the info somewhere, or do I have to specify in the command to dump the info in a text file or something? Sorry to ask obvious questions here but ya gotta assume I don't know despite being fairly knowledgeable. I am somewhere in between. :)

It should write the output to the console window.

Try substituting YOUR display name. Doe it produce output then?

---
    Rich Matheisen
    MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

Friday, September 28, 2012 9:38 PM
  • On Fri, 28 Sep 2012 20:35:11 +0000, Verde Valley Tech Support wrote:

>Also what is the expand info suppossed to look like?

Just a single row of information divided into multiple columns.

>As it turns out I was in the message tracking tool not the tracking log explorer.

Okay, so Exchange 2010. I don't think you said what release you were
    running (not that it matters much for this problem, but it might when
    it comes to cmdlets or the location of information).

>So I know the subject of the email which is how I have been verifying I have the right one, but I can't find the message searching all@ourdomain.com, I have to search exchange-sa@ourdomain.com to get the message to appear.

Find the message using the subject then.

>There are a variety of event id's with the message, including expand, but it's just a table with a bunch of obvious info.

The "EXPAND" even has the number of recipients in the "Recipient
    Count" column and a "RecipientStatus" column. The result in the
    RecipientStatus column should be a "250" event. If it is, select that
    row (the "EXPAND" row and click "Next", and "Next" again. From there
    you'll see all the events for that message. Each "DELIVER" event has a
    list of recipient. Each "SEND" event has a list of recipients.

From the combined set of recipients, do you see the
    <server>-sa@domain.tld address?

>The only things that I didn't already know about the message from the email itself are the message id, event id, and internal message id, and I don't really see how those are going to help. Please give me an idea of what info I am looking for the expand info as I don't think I am getting the right info here. Thanks.

See above.

---
    Rich Matheisen
    MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

Friday, September 28, 2012 9:54 PM
  • On Fri, 28 Sep 2012 20:42:07 +0000, Verde Valley Tech Support wrote:

>
    >
    >OK I kept clicking through the next button on the tracking log tool and it took me to where I could see a table of the events for each recipient from the all group. Yes I did find it using all@ourdomain.com finally. So the only thing I see in the events list that is different from all the others, is that exchange-sa@ has a FAIL event instead of EXPAND and it has a different referenceID

Is that the name of the column? Or is it "Reference"?

>than all the other message events. It has a value of:

>a0b838d9-6fd4-4d02-a101-
    >
    >I have no idea if that has significance at all but that is the only info that stands out when looking at the dataset. Am I on the right track here?

Yes. But do you see the <server>-sa@domain.tld in a SEND or DELIVER
    event? Or does it appear only in a FAIL and DSN event?

---
    Rich Matheisen
    MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

Friday, September 28, 2012 10:02 PM
  • Two things to add

1) when you say use YOUR name I assume you mean the account name I am logged in to do my Exchange Admin, which is Domain admin as we do have PDC in our domain seperate from the EX server.  Tried that still doesn't work.

2) There is no expand event for the recipient exchange-sa@ourdomain.com, the only even there is that one failure event.  Successfully delivered copies of the message do have an EXPAND event.  They have a recipient status of:

250 2.1.5 RESOLVER.GRP.Expanded; distribution list expanded

But the failure event has that super long string and there is only a FAIL event.  Hang on I am going to try to get the info into a table so I can paste it.

Friday, September 28, 2012 10:06 PM
  • Ok so that's a no, nice of MS to include an export function or at least copy paste functionality.  Sorry trying to not get grumps but this is frustratables!  Ok is there a column or columns of data you want from either an EXPAND event to one of the successful recipients or the FAIL event of the SA attemp?  Because basically that is the data I have dug up that we have to work with here.  Let me know, thanks again!

Friday, September 28, 2012 10:11 PM
  • If it wasn't clear in my ramblings yes the server-sa@ address only has one event, and that is FAIL.  Yes that number I pasted is the reference value listed.  Hope that clears things up.  But does give any valuable clues here or are you stumped too?

Saturday, September 29, 2012 1:46 AM
  • On Fri, 28 Sep 2012 22:06:18 +0000, Verde Valley Tech Support wrote:

>Two things to add
    >
    >
    >
    >1) when you say use YOUR name I assume you mean the account name I am logged in to do my Exchange Admin, which is Domain admin as we do have PDC in our domain seperate from the EX server. Tried that still doesn't work.

No, I mean the display name of the account you use when you connect to
    your mailbox.

>2) There is no expand event for the recipient exchange-sa@ourdomain.com, the only even there is that one failure event.

That's correct. That address isn't a distribution group so it can't be
    expanded. But neither should you see it as a recipient in the
    resultant set of oddresses produced by the expansion of the group.

>Successfully delivered copies of the message do have an EXPAND event. They have a recipient status of:
    >
    >250 2.1.5 RESOLVER.GRP.Expanded; distribution list expanded
    >
    >But the failure event has that super long string and there is only a FAIL event. Hang on I am going to try to get the info into a table so I can paste it.

---
    Rich Matheisen
    MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

Saturday, September 29, 2012 3:20 AM
  • On Fri, 28 Sep 2012 22:11:13 +0000, Verde Valley Tech Support wrote:

>Ok so that's a no, nice of MS to include an export function

Sure there is. It's the get-messagetrackinglog cmdlet.

>or at least copy paste functionality. Sorry trying to not get grumps but this is frustratables! Ok is there a column or columns of data you want from either an EXPAND event to one of the successful recipients or the FAIL event of the SA attemp? Because basically that is the data I have dug up that we have to work with here. Let me know, thanks again!

I only want to know if the address <server>-sa@domain.tld is one of
    the addresses that results from the expansion. For the message-id the
    set of recipients will be found in the DELIVER and SEND events.

---
    Rich Matheisen
    MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

Saturday, September 29, 2012 3:23 AM
  • Ok I gotchya I have never used these tools before so its all greek to me.  I am off over the weekend so I will get back to you monday on whether the sa address is in the recipient list in the Expand event for the All DDL.  Thanks for bearing with me, I know its about like describing colors to a blind man.  Also back there I kind of buried it in all the text, but when I was asking for help adding a variable I meant that segment that you suggested I might add to the OPATH query to exclude the SA mailbox.  From what I gather you have to do it in Power Shell so I would need your help for that.  But I will hold off till the info gathering is complete and you have better picture of my issue. Thanks again, don't know what I would do without forums!

Saturday, September 29, 2012 4:12 PM
  • On Sat, 29 Sep 2012 16:12:32 +0000, Verde Valley Tech Support wrote:

>Ok I gotchya I have never used these tools before so its all greek to me. I am off over the weekend so I will get back to you monday on whether the sa address is in the recipient list in the Expand event for the All DDL.

Just to be clear -- you want the list of recipients from the DELIVER
    and SEND (and maybe FAIL) event for the MESSAGE. The EXPAND event is
    just signaling the expansion of the DL into the set of recipients. The
    goal is to see if the expansion results in the <server>-sa@domain.tld
    recipient in that list.

If the FAIL event is for another message-id it may be the result of
    some action on behalf of one of the recipients of the message.

>Thanks for bearing with me, I know its about like describing colors to a blind man. Also back there I kind of buried it in all the text, but when I was asking for help adding a variable I meant that segment that you suggested I might add to the OPATH query to exclude the SA mailbox. From what I gather you have to do it in Power Shell so I would need your help for that. But I will hold off till the info gathering is complete and you have better picture of my issue. Thanks again, don't know what I would do without forums!

---
    Rich Matheisen
    MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

Saturday, September 29, 2012 6:19 PM
  • OK so I am looking at the expand event for the message, the related recipient is all@ourdomain.com, and not only do I see exchange-sa@ourdomain.com in the recipients field, I also see PiblicFolderDatabase1234567@ourdomain.com and I also see MicrosoftExchange123abc456def@ourdomain.com (again I am generalizing for the public here).  Now, when I check the results of the OPATH query in the properties box for the All DDL, NONE of those are there.  Yet they are part of the DDL when it sounds out to All but for some reason the exchange-sa address is the only one that fails.  So I am no exchange expert, to me that would point to an some issue with the SA mailbox.  Correct?  Ok what else should I check out, or are things I should try at this phase in the game.  Or do you need more info?  Let me know, thanks!

Monday, October 1, 2012 9:41 PM
  • On Mon, 1 Oct 2012 21:41:51 +0000, Verde Valley Tech Support wrote:

>OK so I am looking at the expand event for the message, the related recipient is all@ourdomain.com, and not only do I see exchange-sa@ourdomain.com in the recipients field, I also see PiblicFolderDatabase1234567@ourdomain.com and I also see MicrosoftExchange123abc456def@ourdomain.com (again I am generalizing for the public here). Now, when I check the results of the OPATH query in the properties box for the All DDL, NONE of those are there. Yet they are part of the DDL when it sounds out to All but for some reason the exchange-sa address is the only one that fails. So I am no exchange expert, to me that would point to an some issue with the SA mailbox. Correct? Ok what else should I check out, or are things I should try at this phase in the game. Or do you need more info? Let me know, thanks!

This will expand the DDL recipients:

$ddl = Get-DynamicDistributionGroup "all@domain.com"
    Get-Recipient -RecipientPreviewFilter $ddl.RecipientFilter
    -OrganizationalUnit $ddl.RecipientContainer

You can add this to the end of that to get the results into a CSV file
    -- and it's something you should do so you can see the DN of the
    objects:

"|select name,recipienttype,distinguishedname | export-csv all.csv
    -notypeinfo"

And this will get the important properties of the DDL for examination:

Get-DynamicDistributionGroup <ddl-name>| fl
    recipientfilter,ldaprecipientfilter,IncludedRecipients,
    RecipientContainer,RecipientFilterType

What's disturbing is that the Microsoft System Attendant mailbox
    directory object is in the configuration naming contect, not the
    domain naming context, of the AD. It shouldn't be found by the search
    unless it's in the wrong place, or the LDAP search is screwy. By
    expanding the DDL and saving the distinguished name you'll be able to
    see WHERE the Microsoft System Attendant object (and all the others)
    are in the AD. And with the LDAP search and the rest of the info from
    the 2nd command you'll be able to see where the search is occuring.

---
    Rich Matheisen
    MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

Monday, October 1, 2012 10:12 PM
  • OK one thing I should state, maybe this is why the other commands haven't worked as expected, I have been using the PowerShell tool integrated in Exchange, not the one integrated into Server 2008R2.  I owe lot's of apologies if that is the case.  I just notice you are talking about LDAP search so I assume you are using PowerShell Windows Admin tool to perform that search?

Monday, October 1, 2012 10:17 PM
  • PS is there a way we can talk about the results not in public?  I guess it's no big deal to reveal who it is I work for if need, but I am trying to take the safest route in case there is any reason they don't want me posting this stuff out on forums ;)

Monday, October 1, 2012 10:20 PM
  • Also be sure to tell folks like me that they are going to have to copy paste these commands into a notepad and take out the linebreaks, man is that throwing me off!

Monday, October 1, 2012 10:22 PM
  • OK so yes I guess I am going to have to ask to be VERY specific when you are telling me these power shell commands as  I don't powershell syntax, and the forum formatting is making it impossible for me to tell if it is just me doing this wrong or if you made a mistake somewhere in what you posted.

So if I go and type all three lines of that first command you posted, the first line gives no output, the second line shows me a list of all of the recipients and whether they are a mailbox or a ddl, and the last line gives me this error:

[PS] C:\Windows\system32>$ddl = Get-DynamicDistributionGroup "all@ourdomain.com" Get-Recipient -RecipientPreviewFilte
    r $ddl.RecipientFilter -OrganizationalUnit $ddl.RecipientContainer
    A positional parameter cannot be found that accepts argument 'Get-Recipient'.
        + CategoryInfo          : InvalidArgument: (:) [Get-DynamicDistributionGroup], ParameterBindingException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : PositionalParameterNotFound,Get-DynamicDistributionGroup

Yes I did type in our domain name any place you had ourdomain just so we are clear.  I assume all three lines of command were meant to be one line with no breaks, and no spaces where the linebreaks are (though I have tried both ways and neither works) but I tried it separately because together, they always get an error.  When I run those first three lines as one line of command, I get this error:

The term '=' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program. Check the spelling
    of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try again.
    At line:1 char:3
    +  = <<<<  Get-DynamicDistributionGroup "all@domain.com" Get-Recipient -RecipientPreviewFilter $ddl.RecipientFilt
    er -OrganizationalUnit $ddl.RecipientContainer
        + CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (=:String) [], CommandNotFoundException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : CommandNotFoundException

So am I using the wrong PowerShell Tool, am I copying the commands incorrectly due to the forum format and my lack of knowledge, or did you goof somewhere in these commands you gave me, because it has to be one of those three issues.  Thanks.

Monday, October 1, 2012 10:47 PM
  • Also another question.  Is there anyway to escalate this issue to support, and only have to pay for the support call if the issue is due to our configuration and is not due to a Microsoft bug with Exchange?  Not that I am unhappy with all the help you have given me, I realize this is a forum and you get what you get.  But I think I may need step by step guidance considering my lack of knowledge in both Exchange and PowerScript.  If not, I will do the best I can with what you have given me.  And if I have reached the end of what free advice on a forum will get me, thanks very much for all your time and efforts.  I do appreciate it, but I am not getting anywhere on this issue, which is really more my problem than any but I don't have it in my budget to shell out dollars for this right now.  Thanks!

Tuesday, October 2, 2012 12:09 AM
  • On Mon, 1 Oct 2012 22:17:38 +0000, Verde Valley Tech Support wrote:

>OK one thing I should state, maybe this is why the other commands haven't worked as expected, I have been using the PowerShell tool integrated in Exchange,

That's the one you shold be using.

>not the one integrated into Server 2008R2.

The non-Exchange Powershell doesn't understand any of the Exchange
    cmdlets.

>I owe lot's of apologies if that is the case. I just notice you are talking about LDAP search so I assume you are using PowerShell Windows Admin tool to perform that search?

OPATH is a convenience for "normal" people. Under the hood that's
    translated into LDAP. LDAP is what the directory understands. You'll
    find both OPATH and LDAP in the DDL properties. The two are usually
    itentical, but it's possible to have a LDAP query in the DDL that's
    been placed there by means other than translating the OPATH into LDAP.

---
    Rich Matheisen
    MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

Tuesday, October 2, 2012 2:09 AM
  • On Mon, 1 Oct 2012 22:47:45 +0000, Verde Valley Tech Support wrote:

>
    >
    >OK so yes I guess I am going to have to ask to be VERY specific when you are telling me these power shell commands as I don't powershell syntax, and the forum formatting is making it impossible for me to tell if it is just me doing this wrong or if you made a mistake somewhere in what you posted.
    >
    >So if I go and type all three lines of that first command you posted, the first line gives no output, the second line shows me a list of all of the recipients and whether they are a mailbox or a ddl, and the last line gives me this error:
    >
    >[PS] C:\Windows\system32>$ddl = Get-DynamicDistributionGroup "all@ourdomain.com" Get-Recipient -RecipientPreviewFilte r $ddl.RecipientFilter -OrganizationalUnit $ddl.RecipientContainer A positional parameter cannot be found that accepts argument 'Get-Recipient'. + CategoryInfo : InvalidArgument: (:) [Get-DynamicDistributionGroup], ParameterBindingException + FullyQualifiedErrorId : PositionalParameterNotFound,Get-DynamicDistributionGroup

All of these are just one line of data.

Line 1 (get the DDL into a variable amed $ddl):

$ddl = Get-DynamicDistributionGroup "all@ourdomain.com"

Line 2 (produce the list of recipients by querying the AD using pretty
    much the same information as as the Exchange server):

-OrganizationalUnit $ddl.RecipientContainer

Or, if you want the results to go to a CSV (still all on one line):

-OrganizationalUnit $ddl.RecipientContainer | select
    name,recipienttype,distinguishedname | export-csv all.csv -notypeinfo

Also on one line, to get the important info from the DDL:

Get-DynamicDistributionGroup <ddl-name> | fl recipientfilter,
    ldaprecipientfilter, IncludedRecipients, RecipientContainer,
    RecipientFilterType

>Yes I did type in our domain name any place you had ourdomain just so we are clear. I assume all three lines of command were meant to be one line with no breaks, and no spaces where the linebreaks are

Each of the lines are separate from the other without linebreaks.
    There are no spaces in any of the words.

>(though I have tried both ways and neither works) but I tried it separately because together, they always get an error. When I run those first three lines as one line of command, I get this error:
    >
    >The term '=' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program. Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try again. At line:1 char:3 + = <<<< Get-DynamicDistributionGroup "all@domain.com" Get-Recipient -RecipientPreviewFilter $ddl.RecipientFilt er -OrganizationalUnit $ddl.RecipientContainer + CategoryInfo : ObjectNotFound: (=:String) [], CommandNotFoundException + FullyQualifiedErrorId : CommandNotFoundException
    >
    >So am I using the wrong PowerShell Tool,

Not if you're using the Exchange Management Shell.

>am I copying the commands incorrectly due to the forum format

That would be my guess.

>and my lack of knowledge,

Maybe a contributing factor.

>or did you goof somewhere in these commands you gave me,

Nope. They all work. I copied and pasted them from the EMS after they
    produced the output.

>because it has to be one of those three issues. Thanks.

---
    Rich Matheisen
    MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

Tuesday, October 2, 2012 2:29 AM
  • On Tue, 2 Oct 2012 00:09:59 +0000, Verde Valley Tech Support wrote:

>Also another question. Is there anyway to escalate this issue to support, and only have to pay for the support call if the issue is due to our configuration and is not due to a Microsoft bug with Exchange?

MS doesn't charge you if it's their problem. They will ask for a
    credit card before you'll get to the support folks, though.

>Not that I am unhappy with all the help you have given me, I realize this is a forum and you get what you get. But I think I may need step by step guidance considering my lack of knowledge in both Exchange and PowerScript.

If your time is worth anything (and most people think it is) then call
    MS support. There are things that take 15 minutes on the phone (or by
    giving the tech control of the machine) that take ages in a forum
    back-and-forth.

>If not, I will do the best I can with what you have given me. And if I have reached the end of what free advice on a forum will get me, thanks very much for all your time and efforts. I do appreciate it, but I am not getting anywhere on this issue, which is really more my problem than any but I don't have it in my budget to shell out dollars for this right now. Thanks!

MS probably isn't going to do it for free. I really don't think you've
    discovered any bug in the Exchange product, but you may have something
    unusual in the AD. That's what we've been trying to to.

---
    Rich Matheisen
    MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

Tuesday, October 2, 2012 2:38 AM
  • Awesome, thanks Rich, I will go back through your reply and see if I can make the commands work.  Unless they actually decide the issue is a big enough deal to shell out the dollars for from the company as I am not going to foot the bill personally.

Thanks so much for all the help, you have been awesomely patient and given me some great advice, I will be excited when I can actually put it use!  Hopefully your clarifications will get me there and then I can give you some real info and you we can figure out if this is actually something that can be solved through the forum.  You have done a great job Rich, hope my frustration didn't come off to harshly as it was not meant to be directed at you by any means.  Thanks!

Tuesday, October 2, 2012 11:12 PM
  • On Tue, 2 Oct 2012 23:12:41 +0000, Verde Valley Tech Support wrote:

>Awesome, thanks Rich, I will go back through your reply and see if I can make the commands work. Unless they actually decide the issue is a big enough deal to shell out the dollars for from the company as I am not going to foot the bill personally.
    >
    >Thanks so much for all the help, you have been awesomely patient and given me some great advice, I will be excited when I can actually put it use! Hopefully your clarifications will get me there and then I can give you some real info and you we can figure out if this is actually something that can be solved through the forum. You have done a great job Rich, hope my frustration didn't come off to harshly as it was not meant to be directed at you by any means. Thanks!

You're welcome.

Too many new things, coupled with something that doesn't work, can be
    frustrating. Trying to deal with them in slow motion is even worse.

---
    Rich Matheisen
    MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

Wednesday, October 3, 2012 1:19 AM
  • Did you find a solution for this problem. I am experiencing same problem with NDR from SA mailbox when message sent to DDG ? 
    Friday, August 30, 2013 3:13 PM