Installation issue RRS feed

• Question

• Maybe somebody has a clue for the following installation problem.

Office Pro 2016 on a clean install of Windows 10 Enterprise.

Everything seemed to work as expected.

I installed VS2015, configured Outlook, Sql Server (ít's a development PC).

The next day Word+Excel stopped working. Also not working in safe mode.
    Only crashes.

I tried to repair the installation with the two options under Installed Programs: Quick fix and Extended fix.
    No improvement.

Microsoft Edge+Citrix Receiver also do not work.

But: Outlook+Publisher do work.
    Internet Explorer+Chrome do work.

I am lost 

• Edited by GHermans Thursday, July 21, 2016 8:22 PM
    Thursday, July 21, 2016 8:20 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Welcome to the TechNet forum.

>>The next day Word+Excel stopped working. Also not working in safe mode.Only crashes.

>>Microsoft Edge+Citrix Receiver also do not work.

Have you ever checked in the Event Viewer and see if anything useful was recorded out there?

As per the problem description above, it seems to me that some files on the system level were somehow corrupted due to the subsequent configuration (install VS 2015, SQL server) on the same computer, which is causing the issue.

First try to use the System File Checker tool to repair missing or corrupted system files, then try it again:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929833

Also, do you happen to have a system restore point, which you can use to revert your system back to an earlier point? A quick system restore might be the easiest way to get things back.

Hope this helps. Please feel free to post back with any findings.

Regards,

Ethan Hua

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, July 22, 2016 5:36 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Welcome to the TechNet forum.

>>The next day Word+Excel stopped working. Also not working in safe mode.Only crashes.

>>Microsoft Edge+Citrix Receiver also do not work.

Have you ever checked in the Event Viewer and see if anything useful was recorded out there?

As per the problem description above, it seems to me that some files on the system level were somehow corrupted due to the subsequent configuration (install VS 2015, SQL server) on the same computer, which is causing the issue.

First try to use the System File Checker tool to repair missing or corrupted system files, then try it again:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929833

Also, do you happen to have a system restore point, which you can use to revert your system back to an earlier point? A quick system restore might be the easiest way to get things back.

Hope this helps. Please feel free to post back with any findings.

Regards,

Ethan Hua

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, July 22, 2016 5:36 AM
  •  -- Have you ever checked in the Event Viewer and see if anything useful was recorded out there?

Yes, no reports in the event logs at all.

I would like to try your sugestion SFC.exe but the web site of Microsoft contains many documents and explanations but no link for the actual download. Also your link does not point to a download location nor the link in that article. How should I get SFC.exe?

• Edited by GHermans Friday, July 22, 2016 8:26 AM
    Friday, July 22, 2016 8:25 AM
  • Hi,

System File Checker is a built-in utility in Windows, you don't need to download it. Just follow the steps mentioned the link above to run it in a Command Prompt (Run as administrator).

Or you can find it under: C:\Windows\System32

Regards,

Ethan Hua

Friday, July 22, 2016 9:44 AM