none
Why manually scheduled tasks are not allowed to charge 'Overtime' in Project Server 2010 Timesheet? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All,

Recently I faced an issue for 1 of our user who wanted to charge time against 'Overtime' field on one of the task in his timesheet but 'Overtime' field was 'Greyed' out.Investigating this issue could not find out much on this as there was nothing wrong from the planning point of view,user timesheet submission point of view or from Database Sync(Published & Reporting) point of view.

Further digging into issue gave some clue when we compared that particular task(where Overtime was greyed) to the task where users could charge in Overtime and the difference was the Mode of Task scheduling as impacted task was 'Manually Scheduled'.Changing the mode to Auto,the same task was enabled to charge in Overtime.

Our conclusion was well supported by the blog "https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/4209d4e7-654c-4108-b351-a4e147cfc580/project-server-2010-manually-scheduled-tasks-my-timesheets-overtime?forum=projectserver2010general" which says its by design.

I am surprised and not convinced why Manually scheduled tasks are not allowed to charge in Overtime.

Could I request others to share their thoughts and view on this please? or the logical reason MS would have thought to design in this way.

Thanks,

Ashish

Monday, January 25, 2016 5:06 PM

Answers

• Hi Ashish,

It would require an explanation directly from Microsoft but here is my point of view.

Manually tasks are meant to be used in an early planning phase where all the task's information are not well identified. Thus as soon as you are able to assign resources and track down those tasks, you're supposed to switch them to auto scheduled. In some cases, evenif it is not recommended, you might need to do timesheets against manually scheduled tasks, you are not supposed to enter overtime since it means that your task's scope is well defined (standard time versus overtime).

This is also aligned with the fact that pre-SP1 version of PS2010 where manually scheduled tasks where even not timephased so you even couldn't do timesheet against manually scheduled tasks.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, MCC |

Tuesday, January 26, 2016 1:41 PM

All replies

• Hi Ashish,

It would require an explanation directly from Microsoft but here is my point of view.

Manually tasks are meant to be used in an early planning phase where all the task's information are not well identified. Thus as soon as you are able to assign resources and track down those tasks, you're supposed to switch them to auto scheduled. In some cases, evenif it is not recommended, you might need to do timesheets against manually scheduled tasks, you are not supposed to enter overtime since it means that your task's scope is well defined (standard time versus overtime).

This is also aligned with the fact that pre-SP1 version of PS2010 where manually scheduled tasks where even not timephased so you even couldn't do timesheet against manually scheduled tasks.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, MCC |

Tuesday, January 26, 2016 1:41 PM
  • Thanks Guillaume,

Appreciate your response and it makes sense to me. :)

Regards,

Ashish

Monday, February 1, 2016 11:29 AM