SQL Server 2008 Report in Dashboard Designer???? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am facing problem in retrieving SQL Server 2008 report inside the Dashboard Designer. My system configuration is as follows,

Operating system     -        Windows Server 2003 with SP2 (32-bit),
    SQL Server                -        SQL Server 2008 with no SP1,
    MOSS                        -        SharePoint Server 2007 RTM Version,
    Monitoring Server     -        Monitoring Server RTM Version
               Service Pack  -        SP1 and SP2,
                Hot Fixes       -        KB954710 and KB969842,
               Pre requisites -        SQL CU9 (sqlncli.msi,
                                                                   SQLServer2005_ADOMD.msi,
                                                                   SQLServer2005_ASOLEDB9.msi,
                                                                   SQLServer2005_XMO.msi)

I have installed SQL Server 2008 with Reporting server as my native mode, not with SharePoint integration mode. Using BIDS I can create reports in 2008 format and I can publish those reports in the “reportserver”. I can browse those published reports in the report manager area.

Then, I tried to get one of the published reports inside the Dashboard Designer. In the SQL Server Report configuration area I gave

Server Mode – Report Center,
    Server Name – http://localhost/reportserver
    Report - <<Browse>>

When I select browse, it tells “Unable to connect to the specific server” , and in the preview area it is displaying “The operation you are attempting on item “/” is not allowed for this item type. (rsWrongItemType)” like this.

How I have to get the SQL Server 2008 report inside the Dashboard Designer?

I don’t want to deploy the 2008 format report in the SharePoint portal. If I go for this option I need to install Reporting services addin for SharePoint site. This addin will trouble the Monitoring Server pre requisite “SQLServer2005_XMO.msi”. And also, it won’t allow me to import Analysis Service KPI inside the Dashboard Designer.

Help me in this issue.

Regards,
    Sujeev
    • Edited by Sujeev Wednesday, June 24, 2009 2:24 PM
    Wednesday, June 24, 2009 2:21 PM

Answers

• Hi,

You need not reinstall the dashboard designer. You just need to download from the monitoring central.

Regards,
    Ram
    • Marked as answer by Sujeev Thursday, June 25, 2009 3:28 AM
    Wednesday, June 24, 2009 4:42 PM

All replies

• Hi Sujeev,

Please install Report Viewer from this link http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=CC96C246-61E5-4D9E-BB5F-416D75A1B9EF&displaylang=en.  Report Viewer is required for Dashboard Designer to access the SQL Server Reporting Services.

Thank you,
    Sundar - MSFT
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, June 24, 2009 2:44 PM
  • Hi Sundar,

Sorry to inform this information in my post, i have installed "Microsoft Report Viewer Redistributable 2008".

I have gone through the post "PPS SQL Server Report (SSRS 2008) 'Unable to connect to server" by Dan English. The link is as follows,

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ppsmonitoringandanalytics/thread/8d65fcf8-29ec-46b4-8775-63a48a938a26

Based on the post, i have installed the hot fix "KB969842". Before and after installing this hot fix my Dashboard Designer's version was "3.0.4103.00". It didn't update my Dashboard Designer's version to "3.0.4315.00".

Guide me to overcome this issue.

Regards,
    Sujeev
    Wednesday, June 24, 2009 4:24 PM
  • Hi Sujeev,

Have you downloaded the new dashboard designer once again after installing hotfix??

Regards,
    Ram
    Wednesday, June 24, 2009 4:34 PM
  • Hi,

No, I didn't reinstalled the Dashboard Designer. I'll check and let you know by tomorrow. Right now i am at home.

Regards,
    Sujeev
    Wednesday, June 24, 2009 4:38 PM
  • Hi,

You need not reinstall the dashboard designer. You just need to download from the monitoring central.

Regards,
    Ram
    • Marked as answer by Sujeev Thursday, June 25, 2009 3:28 AM
    Wednesday, June 24, 2009 4:42 PM
  • Hi,

Yes i understood. Thanks for correcting me.

Regards,
    Sujeev
    Wednesday, June 24, 2009 4:45 PM
  • Hi all,

I have downloaded the Dashboard Designer from the Monitoring Central. Now, my Dashboard Designer version has changed to "3.0.4315.00". Now, i can get my SQL Server 2008 report from the "Reportserver".

Thank for Dan English, Sundar and RamaKrishnan.

Regards,
    Sujeev
    Thursday, June 25, 2009 3:28 AM