Upgrade Windows Server 2008 R2 standard to Enterprise

Answers

• Hi,

The command should be Dism /online /Set-Edition:ServerEnterprise /ProductKey:XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX

The cause was you typed an incorrect key. Please contact your local Microsoft Customer Service to check the key. You must use a Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise 64bit key.

The following key is a KMS client key for Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise 64bit. I have tested it on my Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard 64bit and it could be used to upgrade to Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard 64bit successfully. You can have a try.

489J6-VHDMP-X63PK-3K798-CPX3Y

If it works, it is certain that you used a wrong key.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Tuesday, February 9, 2010 5:57 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Can you post the full text of the error and the response to /Get-CurrentEdition and /Get-TargetEdition?

Also, are you providing a MAK key, or a CSVLK?

thanks,
    Brendan

Wednesday, February 3, 2010 7:49 PM
  • Hi,

Did you upgrade to Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise?

What’s the exact wording of the error message?

Tim Quan - MSFT

Thursday, February 4, 2010 3:51 AM
  • Hi,

How are things going? I have not heard back from you in a few days and wanted to check on the status of the issue. Please let me know how things turned out.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Monday, February 8, 2010 3:47 AM
  • Hi Tim,

Here's the error from the dism.log;
    2010-01-27 10:43:57, Error                 DISM   DISM Transmog Provider: PID=724 Product key is keyed to [], but user requested transmog to [ServerEnterprise] - CTransmogManager::ValidateTransmogrify
    2010-01-27 10:43:57, Error                 DISM   DISM Transmog Provider: PID=724 [Upgrading system]: The specified product key is not valid for the target edition.
    Run this command again with a product key specific to the target edition.
     [hrError=0x80070645] - CTransmogManager::EventError

We are though very sure the key is correct (tried both vlk MAK en KMS).
    Monday, February 8, 2010 1:25 PM
  • Hi,

The command should be Dism /online /Set-Edition:ServerEnterprise /ProductKey:XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX

The cause was you typed an incorrect key. Please contact your local Microsoft Customer Service to check the key. You must use a Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise 64bit key.

The following key is a KMS client key for Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise 64bit. I have tested it on my Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard 64bit and it could be used to upgrade to Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard 64bit successfully. You can have a try.

489J6-VHDMP-X63PK-3K798-CPX3Y

If it works, it is certain that you used a wrong key.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Tuesday, February 9, 2010 5:57 AM
  • Hi Tim,

Thanks for your answer.  Out customer just tested and your key seems to work indeed! So thanks.
    Strange thing is that we already installed multiple servers in Enterprise Edition with the same key. The customer has an Enterprise agreement and we use the keys from the licensing site.
    Wednesday, February 10, 2010 12:26 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

Now you may contact your local Microsoft Customer Service to verify the key.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Thursday, February 11, 2010 1:36 AM
  • Hi Thim,

I'll let them do that, thanks for your support.

Regards,

Alfred
    Thursday, February 11, 2010 8:43 AM