Moving WSS 3.0 Admin and Farm DBs to another SQL Server - Alias the only option? RRS feed

• Question

• I have an Old 2003 R2 Server with WSS 3.0 on it. It Connects to a SQL 2005 DB running on 2003 R2 as well. Both Different servers.

I have already detached the MDF/LDF files from the SQL 2005 Server, Copied them to the 2008R2 server, Attached them, and then Deleted and readded the Content DBs to each of the Sharepoint Sites Except the site

SharePoint Central Administration v3

So the only DBs I have yet to Move are:

• SharePoint_Config
    • SharePoint Central Administration v3
    • WSS_Search_SVR-WEB

I know I can recreate the Search DB, though not sure how to move the other two DBs. I see many references on Technet and other blogs to create a SQL Alias to point the old Name to the new server name/Instance.   I really dont want to have to keep the old name around.  Is there no other way to do this?

Thanks,

Scott<-

<style type="text/css">.zz1_TopNavigationMenu_0 { background-color:white;visibility:hidden;display:none;;left:0px;top:0px; } .zz1_TopNavigationMenu_1 { text-decoration:none; } .zz1_TopNavigationMenu_2 { } .zz1_TopNavigationMenu_3 { border-style:none; } .zz1_TopNavigationMenu_4 { } .zz1_TopNavigationMenu_5 { } .zz1_TopNavigationMenu_6 { border-style:none; } .zz1_TopNavigationMenu_7 { } .zz1_TopNavigationMenu_8 { background-color:#F2F3F4;border-color:#A7B4CE;border-width:1px;border-style:solid; } .zz1_TopNavigationMenu_9 { border-style:none; } .zz1_TopNavigationMenu_10 { } .zz1_TopNavigationMenu_11 { border-style:none; } .zz1_TopNavigationMenu_12 { } .zz1_TopNavigationMenu_13 { border-style:none; } .zz1_TopNavigationMenu_14 { } .zz1_TopNavigationMenu_15 { border-style:none; } .zz1_TopNavigationMenu_16 { background-color:#CBE3F0; } .zz2_QuickLaunchMenu_0 { background-color:white;visibility:hidden;display:none;;left:0px;top:0px; } .zz2_QuickLaunchMenu_1 { text-decoration:none; } .zz2_QuickLaunchMenu_2 { } .zz2_QuickLaunchMenu_3 { border-style:none; } .zz2_QuickLaunchMenu_4 { } .zz2_QuickLaunchMenu_5 { border-style:none; } .zz2_QuickLaunchMenu_6 { } .zz2_QuickLaunchMenu_7 { } .zz2_QuickLaunchMenu_8 { } .zz2_QuickLaunchMenu_9 { border-style:none; } .zz2_QuickLaunchMenu_10 { } .zz2_QuickLaunchMenu_11 { border-style:none; } .zz2_QuickLaunchMenu_12 { } </style> <form action="/_admin/WebApplications.aspx?ReturnSelectionPage=/_admin/applications.aspx" id="aspnetForm" method="post" name="aspnetForm">

</form>

Thursday, April 25, 2013 11:00 PM

Answers

• SQL alias is the way forward. There was another approach to make use of the renameserver operation in stsadm. But given that the renameserver operation caused problems to several of our customers, we're suggesting to go by making use of SQL aliases. The only other option I can think of is to reprovision your farm in the new SQL instance by creating a new configuration database. You will need to backup your customizations before you attempt to do that.
    • Marked as answer by Scooter_ Monday, April 29, 2013 3:17 PM
    Monday, April 29, 2013 11:18 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for your post.

I'm trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue.

Thanks & Regards,
    Emir Liu
    TechNet Subscriber Support in forum
    If you have any feedback on our support, please click here.

Emir Liu
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, April 26, 2013 9:41 AM
  • SQL alias is the way forward. There was another approach to make use of the renameserver operation in stsadm. But given that the renameserver operation caused problems to several of our customers, we're suggesting to go by making use of SQL aliases. The only other option I can think of is to reprovision your farm in the new SQL instance by creating a new configuration database. You will need to backup your customizations before you attempt to do that.
    • Marked as answer by Scooter_ Monday, April 29, 2013 3:17 PM
    Monday, April 29, 2013 11:18 AM
  • Pretty sad that this is the 'supported' way.

I plan on Upgrading form WSS 3 SP3 to SP2010 to SP2013, so in that process I'll be doing the re-provisioning of the farm and that will take care of it. 

Thanks,

Scott<-

Monday, April 29, 2013 3:17 PM