none
Internet Explorer 10 fails to install on Windows 7 x64 RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to install IE 10 on an up-to-date Windows 7 x64. I also have the latest AMD video drivers installed. The only anti-virus is Microsoft Security Essentials which is also up-to-date. I start the install of "IE10-Windows6.1-x64-en-us" and  these are the status messages I get during the installation:

downloading required updates
    installing required updates
    installing
    installing language package
    restarting program

Internet Explorer restarts, but it's still IE 9. No error messages and I'm unabe to find any evidence of any IE 10 files. Any help would be appreciated.

• Edited by Alpha-geek Tuesday, March 12, 2013 10:01 PM grammar
    Tuesday, March 12, 2013 10:00 PM

Answers

All replies

• UPDATE:

If I allow Windows Update to install IE 10, Update says it was successful, but it continues to be listed as an available update & still only have IE 9 as a browser.

Tuesday, March 12, 2013 10:38 PM
  • Hi,

I would like to suggest you try the methods in the following KB article:

Troubleshooting a failed installation of Internet Explorer 10

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2820688

Thanks.

Nicholas Li
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, March 14, 2013 8:31 AM
  •   Have this issue too.

Either by download or by Windows update, the installer runs, all is well, it exits, it restarts IE, and the new IE says "IE9". iexplore.exe is 9.0, last modified Fab 02, 2013, created Mar 12 2013.

DLLs are 9.0, everything is 9.0. No errors in logs. No even logs. Can't delete iexplore.exe to see if it gets restored because it's locked by trustedinstaller.

IE 10 is "installed successfully" in my WU log about 8 times. No explanation.

Friday, March 29, 2013 10:01 PM
  • For anyone that can't get IE 10 installed

Instructions for the end user would be to:

• Copy GetLogs_local.bat to desktop
    • Run elevated
    • Send back the SetupFailureLogs folder that the script creates

http://sdrv.ms/11FIHrc  <<< download the bat file from there

Zip up the folder that ends up on your desktop and send it to susan-at-msmvps.com (change the -at- to @)

Friday, March 29, 2013 11:02 PM
  •   Sent.

If you never receive the message, I'm willing to share the logs via SkyDrive, they look pretty clean.

Saturday, March 30, 2013 2:21 AM
  • I guess you have Windows 7 and maybe an ATI Radeon video card in a computer with an Intel processor.

I have the same problem and Windows update sets it to install after nearly every time I use my laptop.

You may notice as I did that the registry updates do not complete before Windows attempts to configure it and then Windows attempts to recover. In doing that it takes you back to ie 9 and if you check in update history there are at least 1 like this

Internet Explorer 10 for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems Installation date: ‎26/‎06/‎2013 02:19 Installation status: Successful

but if you then look installed update you will have this:

Windows Internet Explorer 9   Micrsoft Windows  Microsoft Corporation  26/06/2013

So both are apparently installed on the same day but what has actually happened is the installation was backed out on boot up.

Unfotunately it's likely to be the video driver needs updating and as IE 10 is fairly new there are not new drivers that account for it yet. Mine is dated back in 2010 and there has been nothing more available since then.

I think we just need to wait long enough and Microsoft and the vide card manufacturers will sort it out between them.

Thursday, June 27, 2013 1:09 AM
  • I guess you have Windows 7 and maybe an ATI Radeon video card in a computer with an Intel processor.

As do a LOT of people. Mind you, I also had a legacy Catalyst driver (13.1). But here's the interesting part:

* Upgraded PC from GA-X38T-DQ6 (Gigabyte high end X38) + Q9650 (LGA775) to G1.Assassin2 + i7-3820 (LGA2011) and had to reinstall OS (this is still unclear to me as to why this can't be repaired by Setup. You'd think they would have a migration tool somewhere).

After the upgrade, IE10 installed just fine. Now, the video card was still the same, same legacy Catalyst, but it worked. Could it be the old MB drivers, or maybe it's just a new OS? My W7 has been up and running since W7 went gold, in 2009. It has subsequently gone though many an update, SP1 included. Basically, I have installed every update ever by MS, plus a few others.

It's hard to determine why, frankly, but I have a hard time believing tried and tested Intel drivers stop IE10 from installing, if that were the case there'd be a tsunami of complaints. I'm guessing the problem is much more complex to track, maybe a redistributable that clashes with this version, some remnant of my many, many attempts to patch .net gone awry or some install error from a patch long forgotten.

In any case, AFAIAC, it's fixed and I can no longer help since I have a fresh OS. But if someone with this issue and fewer installed programs has a list, I'd be happy to cross-reference my install list with the posted version. The other way won't work, I used to have hundreds installed, more that were uninstalled.

Thursday, June 27, 2013 3:23 PM
  • It seems that after trying literally everything the internet has to offer, and trust me, I've been back and forth googling trying alternatives and fixes. Nothing seems to want to upgrade the Internet Explorer 9 nor uninstall it. The best thing I've come up with is to go to Microsoft's website and download the beta of IE 11. It seemed to do the trick because its upgraded my Internet Explorer and now pending a restart. Thats much better result then with IE 9 and 10 troubleshooting.

~ Nevo

Tuesday, November 5, 2013 5:27 PM
  • my wife has an hp g62-222us laptop that came pre-installed with win 7 home premium 64 bit sp1. I updated the on board video driver the machine has the ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4250 Graphics card. and shares memory up to 1405 MB according to the specs sheet. I downloaded the latest video driver released 10/15/2013.

Still does not work installing explorer 10 whether i download the full install package from Microsoft, or i let windows update do the job. It goes thru all the motions of the install and tells me to reboot, and when i reboot it is still explorer 9, and windows update is sitting on task bar telling me i have an important update still, and that update is explorer 10

Saturday, November 9, 2013 5:29 PM
  • I'm having the same problem updating to ie11 on win7 x64 Dell laptops. I've followed the troubleshooting a failed installation at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2820688 and many other suggestions on the net. I have 15 laptops that need updating to ie11 soon or management will force me to got chrome or foxfire. THIS IS A BIG ISSUE!
    Thursday, December 5, 2013 3:59 PM
  • I'm having the same problem updating to ie11 on win7 x64 Dell laptops.

@ Gary

Did you try collecting the diagnostics that Susan mentioned?  Correlating them with ProcMon?  There is another current thread where I'm trying to help a poster with the same symptom.  Perhaps you could collaborate with him?

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/forum/ie10-windows_7/internet-explorer-10-andor-11-update-wont-install/70169e00-b391-4c95-a4aa-2d907aac08cb

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Thursday, December 5, 2013 5:14 PM
    Answerer