Will Windows 7 be improving it's media tag support? RRS feed

• Question

• I've been enjoying using windows 7,but theres small things from vista that seem to still be creeping around.

One such example is that windows 7 still doesn't support tags for all media,including ones supported by winamp and itunes.I can understand that it will probably not support .ogg or any obscure music formats...but could it at least support tags for .aac,.m4a,or any other extensions for advanced audio coding,or maybe even any other possible popular audio formats?
    Friday, July 3, 2009 7:50 AM

Answers

• 1.) This isn't a niggling Vista bug, the feature simply hasn't been expanded to cover all media formats. Don't count on it getting much better from here on out, I might add. And don't use WinAmp or iTunes as a benchmark for Windows Explorer compatibility, use Windows Media Player.

2.) Windows Explorer does support tags for M4A along with a few other metadata fields, AAC not so much.

If I were to speculate, I'd say the reason for this might be licensing costs. The cost of creating Windows goes up due to additional codecs and such people want but people also want the price to come down as well.

• Marked as answer by OldAnon2057 Saturday, July 4, 2009 2:35 AM
    Friday, July 3, 2009 8:43 AM

All replies

• 1.) This isn't a niggling Vista bug, the feature simply hasn't been expanded to cover all media formats. Don't count on it getting much better from here on out, I might add. And don't use WinAmp or iTunes as a benchmark for Windows Explorer compatibility, use Windows Media Player.

2.) Windows Explorer does support tags for M4A along with a few other metadata fields, AAC not so much.

If I were to speculate, I'd say the reason for this might be licensing costs. The cost of creating Windows goes up due to additional codecs and such people want but people also want the price to come down as well.

• Marked as answer by OldAnon2057 Saturday, July 4, 2009 2:35 AM
    Friday, July 3, 2009 8:43 AM
  • understood,i didn't take into account licensing costs. I didn't mean to say that it was a vista bug,it was just something apparent in vista that still continued to windows 7.

i'm also not sure why the benchmark should be windows media player and not winamp or itunes.Would windows media player not simply have the same tag support as windows explorer has? the reason i compare the two is because in the past i've converted music,used winamp auto tag (my current converter strips the tags),and then notice windows explorer didn't read it.On a plus side i recall issues reading MP3 tags on vista that seems to be fine on windows 7.

Is there anywhere where i can find the supported file types for tags in widnows 7? the reason being because i enjoy the fact that AAC amongst other formats has better compression while maintaining better quality then MP3 does,and i would like to be able to take better advantage of the search features,which currently don't work for some of my folders due to them being formatted in .aac
    Saturday, July 4, 2009 2:45 AM
  • Would windows media player not simply have the same tag support as windows explorer has?
    My point exactly, the way you phrased your statement made it sound like you were saying that because iTunes/WinAmp supported a tags on a file that Windows Explorer should, too - even if WMP didn't. It seems I misinterpreted what you wrote.

I don't know of any definitive list of supported formats for WMP or Explorer, your best bet would probably be to convert a small file yourself as a test.
    Saturday, July 4, 2009 4:32 AM