Migrating from one domain to another in a branch office setting RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We are currently setup with about a dozen remote offices of which only our main office is setup in a server 2003 domain environment. All other sites are ad-hoc and (for now) dont require a domain setup. With this said, our existing corp office desktops  (about 30 of them) from domain abc.local needs to be migrated over to our new domain 123.com

abc.local is server 2003 based and 123.com will be server 2008. The new 123.com domain is at a colocation and i have a brand new server ready at our main office to have it joined to the 123.com domain and promote to a DC. This new server will replace the existing as DC, DNS, DHCP and file server. Once all files are migrated over, i will then format and re-instate the existing DC as DC2 for the 123.com domain.

My question is : what is the recommended set of steps i should take to get this done. Should i use RRAS/VPN to connect to the colo site and add the new server to 123.com domain, then promote to DC and let it finish replicating the new AD? In the intermim start migrating files from the old server to the new along with removing desktops from the old domain and finally adding to the new domain.

What should i be using to ensure a consistant connection with the colo? If anyone else has done something similar (pretty sure many of you have) what steps would you recommend. I know this will be a weekend job and obsiously not during business hours.

Thursday, August 11, 2011 8:48 PM

Answers

• Hi,

You're going to create a new domain with WS 2008 FFL/DFL and remove the existing 2003 infrastructure?

You can't replicate the two different domain namespaces. abc.local and 123.com are two different namespaces. First you need to build your ws 2008 environment and use ADMT tool to migrate the users and objects to 123.com domain.

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=17488

Or if you dont want to create 2 different namespaces, just need to make use of WS 2008 features, you can simply add a DC -ws 2008 in the same domain,so that you dont have to migrate anything.

For this.you have to prepare your existing ws2003 infra for windows server 2008. Run AdPrep/forest prep and Adprep/domain prep in your existing environment.  If your consideration is bandwidth, you can use IFM to copy the existing data and while dcpromo other DC you can just give this file so that AD doesnt have to replicate over WAN.

Once dcpromo finished,it will replicate only for the changes. This would be relatively simple when you do OOH.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/311078

Regards, Mohan R Sr. Administrator - Server Support
    • Marked as answer by Jeff Ren Wednesday, September 21, 2011 4:12 AM
    Tuesday, August 16, 2011 9:38 AM

All replies

• No responses? Anyone?
    Sunday, August 14, 2011 12:01 AM
  • Hi,

You're going to create a new domain with WS 2008 FFL/DFL and remove the existing 2003 infrastructure?

You can't replicate the two different domain namespaces. abc.local and 123.com are two different namespaces. First you need to build your ws 2008 environment and use ADMT tool to migrate the users and objects to 123.com domain.

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=17488

Or if you dont want to create 2 different namespaces, just need to make use of WS 2008 features, you can simply add a DC -ws 2008 in the same domain,so that you dont have to migrate anything.

For this.you have to prepare your existing ws2003 infra for windows server 2008. Run AdPrep/forest prep and Adprep/domain prep in your existing environment.  If your consideration is bandwidth, you can use IFM to copy the existing data and while dcpromo other DC you can just give this file so that AD doesnt have to replicate over WAN.

Once dcpromo finished,it will replicate only for the changes. This would be relatively simple when you do OOH.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/311078

Regards, Mohan R Sr. Administrator - Server Support
    • Marked as answer by Jeff Ren Wednesday, September 21, 2011 4:12 AM
    Tuesday, August 16, 2011 9:38 AM