how to do backup large files quickly and compress the backup without taking up much space RRS feed

• Question

• I am a member of a large business company, and there is large data stored in our company computers. To protect data, i want to do files backup for my important work documents, pictures, xls etc. Maybe you say the built-in backup tool can help you solve this problem. But i want to know the data is so much, and i want to choose a simple, fast, and safe way to backup data. And i want one tool can help me compress my large data. Could you help me? Any free software?
    Friday, December 5, 2014 9:16 AM

Answers

• To save disk space on a volume, you could enable NTFS compression on the folder.

To backup a folder, you can use the windows built-in functionality. You could also copy the files to another location using a tool that only copies changes (like teh builtin robocopy or Microsft developed synctoy,...).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_backup_software lists hird aprty backup software, some of which is free. The main advantages of using real backup software is you can have complex schedules (differential backups, granfather-father-son principle) and more easy management and monitoring.

The 'previous versions' feature is a good solution to retain  multiple versions of files without bloating storage requirements. It is not a real backup solution, but often aids developing a backup strategy that is both flexible as safe. 

MCP/MCSA/MCTS/MCITP

• Marked as answer by luoluo90 Friday, December 12, 2014 7:52 AM
    Friday, December 5, 2014 9:26 AM
  • Hi, guy. Take it easy. In fact, it is very easy for compression. You can search in Google, there will be a few software can help you,such as Easeus to do backup,Acronis and aomei Backupper etc. Once i read one article of aomei,  http://www.backup-utility.com/features/file-backup.html  can help you do file backup, and compress your image file. Its backup option setting, can provide compression. Hope this can help you. 
    • Marked as answer by luoluo90 Friday, December 12, 2014 7:51 AM
    Monday, December 8, 2014 8:03 AM

All replies

• To save disk space on a volume, you could enable NTFS compression on the folder.

To backup a folder, you can use the windows built-in functionality. You could also copy the files to another location using a tool that only copies changes (like teh builtin robocopy or Microsft developed synctoy,...).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_backup_software lists hird aprty backup software, some of which is free. The main advantages of using real backup software is you can have complex schedules (differential backups, granfather-father-son principle) and more easy management and monitoring.

The 'previous versions' feature is a good solution to retain  multiple versions of files without bloating storage requirements. It is not a real backup solution, but often aids developing a backup strategy that is both flexible as safe. 

MCP/MCSA/MCTS/MCITP

• Marked as answer by luoluo90 Friday, December 12, 2014 7:52 AM
    Friday, December 5, 2014 9:26 AM
  • There are various backup application available on internet. Try any one from some Brand.
    Friday, December 5, 2014 9:40 AM