Anti-virus blue screen crash RRS feed

• Question

• Running:  Windows XP Pro, Service Pack 3

Every once in a while my computer will blue screen crash.  When I restarte my computer MS comes back and tells me that the crash was due to two anti-virus programs running simultaneously.  The only anti-virus software that I know that I am running is Norton anti-virus.  How can I determine if there is another anti-virus software running and turn it off?  Does MS have an anti-virus software that may have been turned on by accident?

I tried looking under Processes in the Windows Task Manager but I don't know what I am looking for.  Most of the items are unrecognizable abbriviations.

Friday, November 18, 2011 9:46 PM

Answers

• You could have Windows Defender running in your system or there could be a previous antivirus installed and not completely removed: check the list of installed applications.
    Take a look at the Windows "System" and "Application" Windows logs in the Event viewer to see if there's any record related to the blue screen crashes you're experimenting; also check for .DMP files in your disks and post one or two of them (the most recent ones) so we can analyze those files and understand what is making your system crashing.

Bye.

Luigi Bruno - Microsoft Community Contributor 2011 Award
    Friday, November 18, 2011 11:14 PM

All replies

• You could have Windows Defender running in your system or there could be a previous antivirus installed and not completely removed: check the list of installed applications.
    Take a look at the Windows "System" and "Application" Windows logs in the Event viewer to see if there's any record related to the blue screen crashes you're experimenting; also check for .DMP files in your disks and post one or two of them (the most recent ones) so we can analyze those files and understand what is making your system crashing.

Bye.

Luigi Bruno - Microsoft Community Contributor 2011 Award
    Friday, November 18, 2011 11:14 PM
  • I couldn't find Windows Defender running on my computer, unless it has a strange executable image name.  I also checked the Windows "System" and "Application" logs in the Event viewer and didn't see anything that seemed related to the blue screen crashes.  I did find .DMP files, so how do I attach the files to this response?
    Tuesday, November 22, 2011 1:35 AM
  • Click Start and Run "MSCONFIG".

Check what's being executed from the Startup tab.

If you can't find anything that looks like a 2nd virus scan app, you can list them all here.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Please vote my post as helpful if you think it was, and mark it as an answer if it answered
    your question. That will help others with the same problem finding the answer. Thanks.

Tuesday, November 22, 2011 4:40 AM
  • Try to look at "Add or Remove Programs" list, see if there are 2 anti-virus software installed. If yes, suggest you to remove both and install again for the integrity as most of the time anti-virus tool will treat the other anti-virus tool as some short of  "virus". Hence, there could be some file/configuration didn't completely installed/configured.

But before you uninstall anything, suggest you to backup your important files first as if uninstalling stuck halfway (like crash, blue screen...etc) that uninstallation not complete, it could cause other issue due to not clean installation.

Worst case, you have to reinstall your windows. Restore your windows to previous stage may solve or may cause worst case. Think twice before act. Better backup on file/folder under system drive, so in case can't boot in and need reformat, you can do it straightly if already backup.

Tuesday, November 22, 2011 9:44 AM
  • I've looked at the MSCONFIG startup tab and the items in the "Add or Remove Programs" list.  There doesn't appear to be any other anti-virus software running on my computer.  I would attach the .dmp file if I could figure out how to attach it to this thread.
    Wednesday, November 23, 2011 1:24 AM
  • If there's only Norton Anti-virus installed, you may consider the following:

1. Clean boot, do a clean boot on msconfig > "services" and "startup", and do a reboot, see if the message still prompt on startup. You can refer to below on how to do a clean boot for "services" and "startup".

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353

If the message doesn't prompt anymore, you can start one by one to find out the culprit.

2. Under "Add or Remove Programs", if there is unknown software installed, you can search from google to see if the software needed or not ? If no, you may uninstall it.

3. Your PC has affected by virus. You may try to remove Norton and install other anti-virus tool and scan.

Wednesday, November 23, 2011 2:23 AM
  • I would suggest you download, update & run the free anti-malware from malwarebytes.org - it will find things that an anti-virus scanner won't, and as Cthoong mentioned in point 3, this could very well be malware causing your issues.

Also, it may not be a bad idea to run a hardware diagnostics. Some systems have that option at boot up before it starts loading Windows.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Please vote my post as helpful if you think it was, and mark it as an answer if it answered
    your question. That will help others with the same problem finding the answer. Thanks.

Wednesday, November 23, 2011 1:23 PM