Encryption on Client Outlook / OWA - can you stop download of attachment? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, I need to send an attachment to 50 external email addresses and stop them from downloading/copying/printing/forwarding the attachment. I can see from the encryption setting in Outlook that you can stop people from copying/printing and forwarding... but what about downloading? The reason I ask this is because as part of a test I sent an encrypted email with attachment to an external address but the recipient was able to download the attachment and save it into their one drive and then share the document to another user from there.

Regards

kegan1

Thursday, May 28, 2020 3:59 PM

All replies

• Hi kegan1 ,

Welcome to our forum.

As I know, from the perspective of the Outlook client, we can only use the encryption strategy in the Encrypt option to assign permissions to email message and its content. The Outlook client itself does not have the encryption function. So if you really need to stop receivers from downloading attachments, I'm afraid that you may need to contact your adminnstrator about your encryption strategy.

According to my research about your issue, I found some information related to encryption in OWA which may be helpful to you. For your reference:Prevent downloading attachments via Outlook Web App.
    (Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.)

Besides, as a workaround, it is suggested to set encryptions to the attachment file itself before adding to your email to increase the security of the attachment.

Hope this can be helpful.

Regards,

Jeff Yang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Friday, May 29, 2020 3:31 AM
  • Hi ,

Just checking in to see if above information was helpful. If you have any further updates on this issue, please feel free to post back.

Regards,

Jeff Yang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, June 3, 2020 7:24 AM