none
if we use group policy to install software for computers GPO

Question

• if we use group policy to install software for computers GPO will try to install software every time when logs or only one time
    Saturday, August 15, 2015 10:53 AM

Answers

• Am 15.08.2015 schrieb msmike1:
    Hi,

if we use group policy to install software for computers GPO will try to install software every time when logs or only one time

If the installation succeeds it's a onetime occurance. If it fails it will show up until the installation succeeds. Usually it's not really recommended to use Software deployment policies. It has to much disadvanteges as f.i. no tracking for success aso.
    Maybe you can use WSUS combined with WSUS Package Publisher to deploy your software.
    https://wsuspackagepublisher.codeplex.com/

HTH
    Norbert

Saturday, August 15, 2015 1:43 PM
  • I would agree that Group Policy software deployment has a number of restrictions. For example, it will only install/un-install on the next reboot of the computer, and lack of visiblilty - it has no feedback on weather the software has successfully installed.

For software deployment, you might want try some agent software deployment tool, for example, SCCM, which is good at deploying software package to a large number of computers.

Regards,

Ethan Hua

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, August 17, 2015 7:15 AM

All replies

• Am 15.08.2015 schrieb msmike1:
    Hi,

if we use group policy to install software for computers GPO will try to install software every time when logs or only one time

If the installation succeeds it's a onetime occurance. If it fails it will show up until the installation succeeds. Usually it's not really recommended to use Software deployment policies. It has to much disadvanteges as f.i. no tracking for success aso.
    Maybe you can use WSUS combined with WSUS Package Publisher to deploy your software.
    https://wsuspackagepublisher.codeplex.com/

HTH
    Norbert

Saturday, August 15, 2015 1:43 PM
  • I would agree that Group Policy software deployment has a number of restrictions. For example, it will only install/un-install on the next reboot of the computer, and lack of visiblilty - it has no feedback on weather the software has successfully installed.

For software deployment, you might want try some agent software deployment tool, for example, SCCM, which is good at deploying software package to a large number of computers.

Regards,

Ethan Hua

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, August 17, 2015 7:15 AM
  • One time only deploy. Gpo is a good deployment tool in certain scenarios
    Wednesday, August 19, 2015 5:58 AM