Calling back with empty distribution points list RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

We are running sccm 2012 R2 cu0 and encounter a strange behavior regarding users not able to use the software catalog.

Some background :

We setup primary site and 3 DPs while running sccm 2012 sp1, then upgrade ro R2, then cu0

then we setup 10 DPs and start deploying clients.

All Clients looks well configured using the "Configuration Manager". All packages are replicated onto those DPs (except ms updates so far)

Clients that are assigned to boundaries linked to the 3 DP made while running sccm 2012 sp1 are running smoothly. They can use the apllication catalog

The one that are assigned to site where dp have been build with R2 cu0 can't use catalog.

They all got this message in the :

LocationService.log on the clients

Calling back with empty distribution points list	LocationServices	11/12/2013 12:27:05	78432 (0x13260)
    Current AD site of machine is NO	LocationServices	11/12/2013 12:27:06	78432 (0x13260)

ContentTransfertManager.log

CCTMJob::UpdateLocations - Received empty location update for CTM Job {25A6CF0B-19F6-4B2F-A639-5F6F225D47E6}	ContentTransferManager	11/12/2013 13:27:14	81400 (0x13DF8)
    CTM job {25A6CF0B-19F6-4B2F-A639-5F6F225D47E6} suspended	ContentTransferManager	11/12/2013 13:27:14	81400 (0x13DF8)

Ad schema is ok, boundaries and boundary groups also.

I compare new DP vs "old" ones and there is no difference in the configuration.

I looked at some logs but didn't found any relevant information.

I also read all similar post but none looks "similar" to our configuration

If someone can "guide" me to troubleshoot this, it will be appreciate.

Feel free to ask for any information

Thanks

• Edited by orlith Wednesday, December 11, 2013 12:46 PM
    Wednesday, December 11, 2013 12:33 PM

Answers

• Hi Joyce

We finally found the solution. It was the "add to trust zone" settings for the application catalog of the client.

The "funny" part is that adding manually the application catalog url to the trust zone on the enduser computer didn't solved anything., but doing it with the Client settings solve it.

That's why we never try this settings before as we testes it manually

The second thing is Why some computers were able to use the catalog without that setting being set ???

Now it's working and I'm wondering if someday I'll get an anwser to that hazardous trouble.

Anyway thanks to all for your helps

• Marked as answer by orlith Wednesday, December 18, 2013 2:53 PM
    Wednesday, December 18, 2013 2:52 PM

All replies

• Sorry, but a couple of things are not clear:

- First, there's no such thing as R2 *CU0*, so have no idea what you are talking about there? Are you perhaps referring to one of the two hotfixes released post R2?

- There's no such thing as a "software catalog". There is an "Application Catalog" and the "Software Center". Which are you referring to?

- Finally, you mentioned setting up boundaries for the new DP, what about a boundary group? Boundaries don't do anything unless they are added to a boundary group. Also, what kind of boundaries are you using? Unless you really (really, really and truly) know what the implications are, you should be using IP Address Range boundaries.

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com

Wednesday, December 11, 2013 2:57 PM
  • Hi Jason

Sorry , i should have mentionned Hotfix instead . You're right. So KB2905002 has been applied.

All Boundaries are added to boundary group, one boundary per boundary group

Boundaries are based on AD Sites discovering, so meaning IP range somewhere. (one boundary = one site)

Thx for you're time

Wednesday, December 11, 2013 3:07 PM
  • Boundaries are based on AD Sites discovering, so meaning IP range somewhere.

Actually, no, that's not correct. Don't confuse AD's use of IP subnets with boundaries in ConfigMgr -- generally, AD site subnets work well, but can be problematic if you do not keep up with subnets defined in AD or you are using aggregate subnets.

So, do you have a boundary set up for the "NO" AD site, is it in a boundary group, does that boundary group contain a DP, and does that DP have the content in question?

Wednesday, December 11, 2013 3:34 PM
  • So, do you have a boundary set up for the "NO" AD site, is it in a boundary group, does that boundary group contain a DP, and does that DP have the content in question?

Absolutly, like all other boundaries.
    Wednesday, December 11, 2013 3:38 PM
  • Hi,

Could you please use IP ranges instead of your boundary to test whether the clients could get DPs?

If this could work, there should be a problem with the boundary of AD sites.

Best Regards,

Joyce Li

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time.
    Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Friday, December 13, 2013 1:09 AM
  • Hi Joyce

We finally found the solution. It was the "add to trust zone" settings for the application catalog of the client.

The "funny" part is that adding manually the application catalog url to the trust zone on the enduser computer didn't solved anything., but doing it with the Client settings solve it.

That's why we never try this settings before as we testes it manually

The second thing is Why some computers were able to use the catalog without that setting being set ???

Now it's working and I'm wondering if someday I'll get an anwser to that hazardous trouble.

Anyway thanks to all for your helps

• Marked as answer by orlith Wednesday, December 18, 2013 2:53 PM
    Wednesday, December 18, 2013 2:52 PM