VSSAdmin list writers command...slow to respond... RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to troubleshoot a VERY slow/sluggish computer. I was clued in to something when working with my backup vendor as the VSS writers are timing out during a system state backup.  the backup completes but takes a ridiculously long time.

Every time i run the "Vssadmin list writers" command i get "waiting for responses...these may be delayed if a shadow copy is being prepared"

the task finally runs and i get no errors..(the state of all is 1-stable, and last error is "no error")

but this seems to be things are very slow (and affecting many other things on this laptop)

i have re-registered the components twice...but nothing seems to be helping...what are my other options here?

any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Wednesday, July 19, 2017 9:17 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Please see the output from List writers commands, Check to see if there are any non-standard providers that are causing the problem when performing the VSS snapshot. If there are any non-standard providers listed, consider uninstalling them or contacting the Provider Vendor. Uninstalling the fault Writer or Provider will generally resolve the issue.

Also, please make sure to re-register the related components:

regsvr32 ole32.dll
    regsvr32 vss_ps.dll
    Vssvc /Register
    regsvr32 /i swprv.dll
    regsvr32 /i eventcls.dll
    regsvr32 es.dll
    regsvr32 stdprov.dll
    regsvr32 vssui.dll
    regsvr32 msxml.dll
    regsvr32 msxml3.dll

regsvr32 msxml4.dll

For more information ,please refer to :

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee264212(WS.10).aspx

For our research, please post back the vss logs and the output of list writers commands.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, July 20, 2017 11:07 AM
  • Hi Kate...

thank you for the prompt reply...

-I have already re-registered everything....multiple times..i saw no errors, but I also did it via a batch file, i'll check one more time and make sure the files you listed above are included (I believe they were though)

-there are no errors..everything is stable...that's the odd thing...I do know this issue is VSS writer related though because my backup vendor has confirmed that...I will be working with them to get a copy of the log files again...there are time out errors...but eventual connections...and this "Every time i run the "Vssadmin list writers" command i get "waiting for responses...these may be delayed if a shadow copy is being prepared"" - I know I have run these when a shadow copy is NOT being prepared...

thanks in advance for other ideas.

Thursday, July 20, 2017 6:25 PM
  • ok.i finally had direct access to the machine so I was able to run those steps one by one.

-the module "swprv.dll" was loaded but the call to DLLRegisterServer failed with error code 0x80070715

-the module "es.dll" was loaded but the entry-point DLLRegisterserver was not found.  make sure that "es.dll" is a vaild DLL or OCX file and then try again

-the module "vssui.dll" failed to load. make sure the binary is stored at the specified path or debug it to check for problems with the binary or dependent .DLL

-the module "msxml.dll" (and msxml4.dll) failed to load . Make sure the binary is stored at the specified path or debug it to check for problems with the binary or dependent .DLL files

-I ran sfc /scannow - came back clean

-the vssadmin list writers command is coming back with all as state "stable" and no errors...the good thing (for what it's worth) is I am not getting the "waiting for response..." message when I run the command...

does this help at all??? thanks.

Monday, July 24, 2017 12:51 AM
  • Glad that your issue has been fixed, consider that this issue could be caused by 3rd party writers.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, July 25, 2017 1:00 AM
  • Wait!!!!! It's not fixed!!!!
    Tuesday, July 25, 2017 1:04 AM
  • Please post back more detailed information, including the output of all writers. 

Tuesday, July 25, 2017 1:11 AM
  • Hello,

Can you try to restart the following service and then give it a try. Once the output is received quickly kindly try to run the same again without restarting the services this time.

Cryptographic service, Volume Shadow Copy service, Microsoft Software Shadow copy Provide.

Regards,

Nikhil

Tuesday, July 25, 2017 1:25 PM
  • not sure what "more detailed" info you want...I posted the errors I got.

unfortunately the outputs all came back as stable...but I am having a battle with my 3rd party backup as the system state backup job is taking WAY longer than it should. I am trying to look for some out of the box ideas here on what else I can do.

Thursday, July 27, 2017 12:54 AM
  • did all that....again, no errors (all are stable)...but the job is just so slow...

I need an out of the box idea...like is there any way to refresh/reinstall(?) the writers. the only task I am aware of is to reregister them which I have done multiple times so far with no improvements.

Thursday, July 27, 2017 12:55 AM
  • Hi,

I have tested these commands on Windows 7 machines, got the same results. So this is not an issue we need to  worry about.

I just would like to know all your writers, please post back the output by this commands:

Vssadmin list writers

During this process, we may also use Process monitor to capture the system events, see which one use long time period. you can also save out as pml file and upload onto OneDrive for our research.

Process Monitor v3.05
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx

Process Monitor v3.05
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx

BTW, It seems that you are using 3rd party backup applications, if so, it not in our support scope. Have you tried the build-in backup feature in Windows?

Thursday, July 27, 2017 11:15 AM
  • Kate:

thank you for the prompt replies.

Yes i have already tried the built-in windows backup.  Not sufficient.

I am aware it's a 3rd party backup..but their support team said the reason the system state backup is taking way longer than it should is potentially slow VSS writers.  That's out of their scope so that's why i brought this here to see if i could get some out of the box help to try and diagnose this.

Thank you for the process monitor. i'll load it and run the job in question.

Here is the output...no errors, but i am getting the "waiting for responses" prompt again...the computer is idle right now.

C:\Windows\system32>vssadmin list writers
    vssadmin 1.1 - Volume Shadow Copy Service administrative command-line tool
    (C) Copyright 2001-2005 Microsoft Corp.
    Waiting for responses. 
    These may be delayed if a shadow copy is being prepared.
    Writer name: 'Task Scheduler Writer'
       Writer Id: {d61d61c8-d73a-4eee-8cdd-f6f9786b7124}
       Writer Instance Id: {1bddd48e-5052-49db-9b07-b96f96727e6b}
       State: [1] Stable
       Last error: No error
    Writer name: 'VSS Metadata Store Writer'
       Writer Id: {75dfb225-e2e4-4d39-9ac9-ffaff65ddf06}
       Writer Instance Id: {088e7a7d-09a8-4cc6-a609-ad90e75ddc93}
    Writer name: 'Performance Counters Writer'
       Writer Id: {0bada1de-01a9-4625-8278-69e735f39dd2}
       Writer Instance Id: {f0086dda-9efc-47c5-8eb6-a944c3d09381}
    Writer name: 'System Writer'
       Writer Id: {e8132975-6f93-4464-a53e-1050253ae220}
       Writer Instance Id: {58e919e6-4287-4757-a7a2-72e3b0439c29}
    Writer name: 'Shadow Copy Optimization Writer'
       Writer Id: {4dc3bdd4-ab48-4d07-adb0-3bee2926fd7f}
       Writer Instance Id: {caf0ac6a-e365-4762-9fcb-170d095a31b5}
    Writer name: 'MSSearch Service Writer'
       Writer Id: {cd3f2362-8bef-46c7-9181-d62844cdc0b2}
       Writer Instance Id: {ca6cf75e-1565-4a65-b301-4ef79322a57f}
    Writer name: 'ASR Writer'
       Writer Id: {be000cbe-11fe-4426-9c58-531aa6355fc4}
       Writer Instance Id: {140c46c1-acc2-4001-a9fe-8ebe946b7ed2}
    Writer name: 'Registry Writer'
       Writer Id: {afbab4a2-367d-4d15-a586-71dbb18f8485}
       Writer Instance Id: {98e9a301-c94c-453d-86d1-0db3b7f3dec6}
    Writer name: 'COM+ REGDB Writer'
       Writer Id: {542da469-d3e1-473c-9f4f-7847f01fc64f}
       Writer Instance Id: {bbf2d80c-f34b-42ad-a3e5-548057413fed}
    Writer name: 'WMI Writer'
       Writer Id: {a6ad56c2-b509-4e6c-bb19-49d8f43532f0}
       Writer Instance Id: {f435f05f-f26c-4ac6-96d0-577d6c7ae83c}
    Thursday, July 27, 2017 5:59 PM
  • Hi Jeremy,

Sorry for the delayed response, I have take some time to discuss with other engineers who are familiar with VSS.

Please know that besides the 3rd party's writer issue, we may consider if there is anything wrong with volsnap components.

Please manually install this fix update to check if your issue can be fixed:

Convenience rollup update for Windows 7 SP1 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3125574/convenience-rollup-update-for-windows-7-sp1-and-windows-server-2008-r2

Let me know if there is any update.

Tuesday, August 1, 2017 12:12 AM
  • Hi,

Was your issue resolved?

If you resolved it using our solution, please "mark it as answer" to help other community members find the helpful reply quickly.

If you resolve it using your own solution, please share your experience and solution here. It will be very beneficial for other community members who have similar questions.

If no, please reply and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help.

Thursday, August 10, 2017 12:00 AM
  • sorry i have not done anything with this lately as i haven't had access to the computer and it slipped my mind.

can this update be installed silently via command line? also i didn't read any reference to this specific issue.

Friday, August 11, 2017 7:57 PM
  • Hi Jeremy, 

Please download it from Windows update catalog: https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=3125574

Then commands below could help to install this update: 

https://kb.cscc.edu/article/how-to-install-a-msu-update-on-windows-7-from-the-command-line-63.html

Please Note: Since the websites are not hosted by Microsoft, the links may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information. 

Monday, August 14, 2017 1:02 AM