Missing Server object in System Manger RRS feed

• Question

• I am getting involved in a half completed 2003 to 2010 server migration and ran across an issue that I can not resolve.

On the exchange 2003 server, when I go to the system manager and try to browse to the server under Administrative Groups...it is blank and shows an error of "there is no such object on the server" error c0072030.

I have looked at ADSIedit and the server in question is still showing up correctly in the configuration/services/microsoft exchange/ tab of the domain and from what I can tell, the permissions are set correctly(not 100% sure that they did not delete something).

So I am stumped as to what they have done and how I can get it back without too much damage or hassle.

Wednesday, April 17, 2013 6:20 PM

Answers

• # is the Server Object for "Exchange 2003" server available on the Configuration Partition on the ADSIEDIT?

# In case if the objects exists on AD and not shown upon Exchange System Manager then, we can consider this being a permission issue.

# in case if the Server Object is not Present under the First Administrative Group-> Servers then it is gone for ever and the only way to get the server back is to restore system state backup.

M.P.K ~ ( Exchange | 2003/2007/2010/E15(2013)) ~~ Please remember to click “Vote As Helpful" if it really helps and "Mark as Answer” if it answers your question, “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. ~~ This Information is provided is "AS IS" and confers NO Rights!!

• Marked as answer by Zi Feng Tuesday, May 7, 2013 2:01 AM
    Wednesday, May 1, 2013 7:20 AM

All replies

• Hi

I found a thread with the same error,perhaps you can try the solution there

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/exchangesvrgeneral/thread/2560542e-4a66-43a6-98b5-e62a58d8ecc8

I have come across a similar issue and it was resolved by resetting the permissions for authenticated users.

Please see for more info: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa996198.aspx

Hope that helps

Cheers

Zi Feng
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, April 18, 2013 8:41 AM
  • OK so I looked into the authenticated users and it all looks normal without any deny attributes set.  I also looked into the other accounts and everything looks as though it has the correct permissions.

I followed another article that stated that an Exchange Reinstall should reset the permissions, so I did that and still when I go into the system manager under "servers" there is nothing there and it shows the following error

There is no such object on the server.

Facility: Win32

ID no:c0072030

Exchange System Manager

A bit more background.  The current IT manager stated that he was trying to remove the exchange tools and instance from a BES server that they were decommission.  When he did that is when this issue all started.  He has not been around to tell me what he actually did but he definitely either removed something like user/permission or changed something that is causing this issue.  I just have no clue as to what....

Any help at all would be appreciated so that I do not have to rebuild their entire 2003 environment just to migrate it to 2010, uhg.

Saturday, April 20, 2013 8:37 PM
  • # is the Server Object for "Exchange 2003" server available on the Configuration Partition on the ADSIEDIT?

# In case if the objects exists on AD and not shown upon Exchange System Manager then, we can consider this being a permission issue.

# in case if the Server Object is not Present under the First Administrative Group-> Servers then it is gone for ever and the only way to get the server back is to restore system state backup.

M.P.K ~ ( Exchange | 2003/2007/2010/E15(2013)) ~~ Please remember to click “Vote As Helpful" if it really helps and "Mark as Answer” if it answers your question, “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. ~~ This Information is provided is "AS IS" and confers NO Rights!!

• Marked as answer by Zi Feng Tuesday, May 7, 2013 2:01 AM
    Wednesday, May 1, 2013 7:20 AM