USB 3 device getting the "This Device Can Perform Faster..." prompt RRS feed

• Question

• I recently upgraded my motherboard, CPU and RAM, and bought a new USB 3 external hard drive (Verbatim), but did not get any USB 3 driver for the device. I installed the updated USB 3 (NEC) software for the motherboard, and upon plugging the device into the blue USB 3 port, everything installed correctly and in device manager I do not see any yellow warning signs.

However, I continually get this "THIS DEVICE CAN PERFORM FASTER...." (if connected to a USB 3 port)...but IT IS freakin plugged into it and Windows (7) acknowledges that the USB 3 host controller and root is properly installed. I'm at wits end and when I call Verbatim, I get an Indian accented person who has no clue as to what I'm asking.

It seems that Windows in erroneously assigning a standard USB 2 driver to the hard drive. If the Manufacturer doesn't provide a USB 3 driver for the device, obviously they are assuming that Windows is supplying it (via Windows Update?). What in the world is going on here? It's like the Chicken and the Egg deal. Why should the consumer have to dig around needlessly for hours and hours for something that is supposed to be a matter of plug N play?

Friday, December 3, 2010 12:29 PM

Answers

• Hi,

First, I would like to confirm that if there are any other devices use the USB 3.0 or they are still USB 2.0 while it is the only one which uses the USB 3.0.

Please check if you installed the USB 3.0 controller correctly and if there are any settings configured in the BIOS.

If the issue persists, I suggest contacting the manufacturer for the driver issue.

Regards,

Sabrina

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights. |Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Sabrina Shen Friday, December 10, 2010 2:22 AM
    Monday, December 6, 2010 8:09 AM