Should we wait for 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• We are in the process of migrating from WSS v2 to WSS v3 and MOSS 2007. Templates have been created and hardware issues have been reviewed but no migration has occured yet. We have @ 60000 users. The question has been asked should we wait for SharePoint 2010, can anyone give me feedback on this?
    Monday, November 2, 2009 3:28 PM

Answers

All replies

• I don't think there's any easy answer to that. 

Can you share your core business requirements?  Those would be the most important things to consider.

SP 2010 does provide a lot more functionality, but if you don't have the requirements and capacity to use them, MOSS would be a good choice.

Timing would also be one (of many factors).  SP 2010 may not be out until next June for all we know.  For that matter, possibly even later.  Realistically, that would mean you'd be going live in about a year or more from now unless you're willing to start off on beta software.  Some companies do start with beta software (I was involved with one).  It requires an appropriate mind set and tolerance on the part of management, implementation team, end users, etc.  I expect you would get a lot of support from Microsoft if you went this route.

My starting point in the very abstract general case would be something along the lines of:
    - Start a limited rollout of MOSS to a select group of users that represent a good cross section of organization-wide requirements. 
    - Start building out the same thing in SP 2010 beta.

As the two parallel projects move forward, take note of lessons learned and re-evaluate direction after a few months.

If you do elect to move forward with MOSS now, SP2010 would be off your chart for a few years, I bet. 

HTH,

--Paul Galvin, Arcovis
      Microsoft MVP - SharePoint
      Blogging @ http://feeds.feedburner.com/PaulGalvinsSharePointSpace
      Twitter @ http://www.twitter.com/pagalvin
    Tuesday, November 3, 2009 4:43 PM
  • SP2010 has significant hardware requirements which you will want to quantify as part of your decision.  (Everything must be 64 bit and memory requirements are high.)  If you can see paying for the hardware, then you might want to wait for SP2010; it is seems like a huge outlay, wait and watch for prices to come down.

But my more important answers are in the form of questions: What are your business requirements?  Does SP2010 address them significantly better?  Would MOSS solve things well now?  Are your business processes being impacted by the continued use of WSS v2?

In the end, while there's certainly a technology aspect to the decision, it's the business requirements that should drive it.

M.
    Marc D Anderson - Sympraxis Consulting LLC - Marc D Anderson's Blog - @sympmarc - jQuery Library for SharePoint Web Services
    Tuesday, November 3, 2009 4:47 PM
  • I don't think(?) there is a path to upgrade from v2 to 2010 directly. So couple of options would be:

1. Account for the 2010 hardware requirements and migrate to 2007 first in a test environment. Finalize the logical architecture, site templates etc.  there and then plan to upgrade to 2010 some next year. The key would be to use out of box features as much as possible. Other than the SSP change in 2010, sites and content migration should be straight forward.

2. Start with a fresh 2010 install and migrate content/users gradually - most likely manually. If you can wait that long, this might be a cleaner approach and would help make use of the new content organization features in 2010.

Obviously this needs a thorough analysis to evaluate specific scenarios and migration paths. You could possibly evaluate with one of the major sites/departments. 
    Tuesday, November 3, 2009 4:56 PM
  • One thing to keep in mind is that MOSS 2007 is a great environment for discovering what your users *really* need.  It is unlikely that your users will get everything they need out of the box, even with SharePoint Server 2010.  By rolling out MOSS 2007 now with mostly out of the box functionality, your users will have the opportunity to get familiar with the core concepts that were introduced with MOSS and will still carry forward into 2010.  Your developers will also be able to interact with your users to better understand those areas where MOSS fails to address end-user needs (perhaps in the ECM area), and they can identify specific groups of users with special requirements, etc.

My 2 cents.
    John Holliday, MVP Office SharePoint Server
    Tuesday, November 3, 2009 5:08 PM
  •  

Hi,

These are the forums for the Business Productivity Online Services and therefore I am unable to help you with this problem. You should consider posting your question at 

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/sharepoint

Hope this helps

-William Fiddes
    Thursday, November 5, 2009 12:10 AM