none
Project 2010 Tasks getting re-ordered/corrupted RRS feed

• Question

• We are using Project Professional and Project Server 2010.  We've seen the following behavior a couple of times, with different users.

We create a project and populate with tasks.  We save the project and check it in to Project Server.  When we go back and re-open the project, the tasks are way out of order.  Also subtasks have moved away from the group level task.  I don't see any defined sort that would move the tasks around like this.  In theory the PM has saved the project and checked it in immediately, closing ms-project.  The next time ms-project is open, it's for the same project, which by this time is corrupt.

For example, if I have

Meetings

Meeting 1

Meeting 2

Meeting 3

When I re-open, the individual meetings show up all over the place and not under the group Meetings task.  I checked quickly on the database, and it seems as though the some of the data might be stored okay (I'm not an expert on this).  If I look in the Reports database, the parent of all 3 subtasks is correctly identified as the parent task Meeting.  If I look at the Task Outline, the subtasks are all one level below the group task.  If I look at the TaskOutline, the subtasks line up correctly.

If I look at the TaskIndex, the order of TaskIndex on the database matches the order of the tasks displayed on the gannt chart.

Has anyone seen this behavior? And how do I fix it?  I'm nervous about monkeying around with the database, since I'm not at all familiar with it.

Thursday, August 8, 2013 4:35 PM

All replies

• I did see this before at one of our clients, they had to restore an archived copy of the project where everything was in order. Do not attempt to change the data in the databases, this is not supported and could corrupt that database/s! Is it always this plan with different users? Paul

Paul Mather | Twitter | http://pwmather.wordpress.com | CPS

Thursday, August 8, 2013 9:41 PM
  • Thanks Paul, Unfortunately, we are using Project Server on a trial basis, and are not archiving yet

Wednesday, August 14, 2013 4:32 PM
  • Are the ID numbers correct? I have seen this when someone did a strange sort or grouping. The tasks in the table looked very jumbled, but the ID numbers still indicated the correct order. If the ID numbers are correct, you can just sort by ID.
    Wednesday, August 14, 2013 6:21 PM
  • no the ID numbers are out of whack as well.  I was really hoping that it would be a random sorting issue that was easily fixed, but it doesn't appear so.  But then again, I might be looking at the wrong column
    Thursday, August 15, 2013 3:17 PM
  • Are the tasks out of sequence if you view the project in Project Server? And if you edit it in Project Server?
    Monday, August 19, 2013 9:21 AM