Administrative permision RRS feed

• General discussion

• I am the administrator, and only user of my computer, which is currently running W7 home premium. Despite this fact, I am locked out of folders I created myself, as I "need permission from Vanguard Knight" in order to access them. they were created when my computer was still running vista, but still worked and allowed me access after the upgrade. It's only recently that this problem has arisen. Please help.

Monday, September 5, 2011 12:12 AM

All replies

• It may be that you have created a new user account in the process of upgrading from Vista to Windows 7.  EVEN IF you used the same username and password to set up a fresh Windows 7 system, the security ID under the covers will be completely different.  Thus it doesn't think you're the same you who created the folders/files in the first place.

What you can do is to Take Ownership of all the folders and files in question.  There are many articles on the subject on microsoft.com.  Here are just several that come up in a quick web search:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc753659.aspx

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Troubleshoot-access-denied-when-opening-files-or-folders

Perhaps someone else can come up with the link to a good overall guide for how permissions work - such a thing would be well worth reading if you really want to understand why things are the way they are.  I went to a class decades ago when NT first came out, and it's not a trivial subject.

You should also go seek out information on UAC (User Account Control) and read about how (when configured at default level) it reduces your status to that of a normal user except when you allow it to elevate privileges.  Vista had UAC as well, and you may have turned it off (as can be done with Windows 7 if you so desire).  You should be sure and take the time to fully understand the protections UAC provides you before considering disabling it.

-Noel

Monday, September 5, 2011 5:54 PM