Help RRS feed

• Question

•  

I am lost in the internet trying to find help.  Can someone help me?  I just got my computer back from repairs and my indexing is not "on."
    Monday, December 8, 2008 3:05 AM

Answers

• Yes it was listed as disabled.  I tried a whole bunch of things to enable it.  Something freaky happened, after experimenting with a few things, it would black for a split second, I'd click "start" real fast but not fast enough.  Anyway, I fooled around for a couple of hours and somehow it's working now.  Thank you for getting me started by leading me in the right direction. I didn't know anything about the searchindex or how to get to where you led me.  I appreciate it.

Thanks again!!!

Tuesday, December 9, 2008 4:50 AM

All replies

• To be more specific, when i do a search, nothing comes up so i found a window that said indexing is not on.  Does anyone know how to turn it on>

Monday, December 8, 2008 3:08 AM
  • To restart the Indexing service (Windows Search):
    Press <windows key> and <R> > type services.msc <enter> > OK the UAC prompt if necessary.
    Services will open.
    Scroll down to Windows Search, and double-click that line.  In the General tab, change the Startup type to Automatic (it's a pulldown menu), click Apply.  Click the Start button, and wait (~5 seconds) for the service to start.  Click OK, and close Services.
    The Indexing service is now running. 

HTH,
    Chris

Monday, December 8, 2008 4:28 AM
  • Thanks for replying. The start button is gray.  I waited about a minute.  Any ideas?

Monday, December 8, 2008 5:30 AM
  • What was the startup type listed as?  (if it's "disabled", then the Start button is greyed out.)

Check the Dependencies tab, as well - see if that lists any services that Search is dependent on that are not started.

Chris

Monday, December 8, 2008 12:49 PM
  • Yes it was listed as disabled.  I tried a whole bunch of things to enable it.  Something freaky happened, after experimenting with a few things, it would black for a split second, I'd click "start" real fast but not fast enough.  Anyway, I fooled around for a couple of hours and somehow it's working now.  Thank you for getting me started by leading me in the right direction. I didn't know anything about the searchindex or how to get to where you led me.  I appreciate it.

Thanks again!!!

Tuesday, December 9, 2008 4:50 AM
  • You're welcome.
    And, thanks for the feedback.  Glad you got it working.

-Chris

Tuesday, December 9, 2008 5:17 AM