Display and monitoring of custom classes RRS feed

• Question

• Hello.

I am attempting to get custom application data from 3rd party software into a scom dashboard view and create some monitoring rules, alerts, health states, etc if possible for that data.

In essence, I have server product which monitors assembly line machinery and a few monitors on each machine.  In other words, my data is organized like so(charactertics of each data type in parenthesis)

Machine(name, model, uptime, status code)

-Machinepart(id, temperature, cycles, ...)

-Machinepart(id, temperature, cycles, ...)

...and so on...

I have successfully created a basic management pack which has the following

-the custom class with properties for the Machine types

-the custom class with properties for the MachinePart types

-a custom relationship(hosted) so that each MachinePart is hosted by a Machine type using that Machine types id as it's key

-a basic state view which shows the status of each Machine

-a basic state view which shows the status of each MachinePart, including the "Path" which links to the appropriate parent Machine state veiw(I got this automatically, didn't have to  author anything..this "path" concept)

I have succesfully imported that management pack into Ops Console and its views show up no problem(with no data) and so forth.

I have successfully created a .NET application, which polls our web service, creates and inbound connector, and inserts snapshot data for each Machine with its associated MachinePart entries and it all shows up each time I update the SCOM data no problem in the views.

This was all pretty straightforward, but now I am having troubles with the next tasks.

What I need to do now is to create some monitors/rules?(not sure which) which will evaluate the various properties, of say a MachinePart entry. So for instance I want there to be perhaps a green state, which is temperature below x, an orange state, which is temp above x but below y, Red..above y..and so on.  More aptly, I would like to be able to evaluate 2 or 3 fields on the Machinepart to determine the status.

And furthermore, I would like for the states of the MachineParts to be represented in the host Machine, so if there is any red machine part, the Machine should be red and so forth.

Ideally I would like to have a custom view that was a tree in nature where I could see the list of Machines along with their states and overall color and expand it to see the list of MachienParts with stats and individual colors.  I would like to be able to have each stat column have that row entry be a different color, so it is easy to see exactly which columns(properties) are out of bounds.  

I have no idea if this is even possible with custom views.  If not, Is it possible to build a more complex .NET UI which is a custom control in SCOM to achieve this?

Monitors, health models, targets, etc..

Do I need these concepts to achieve this? 

I have been searching and searching and come across these topic repeatedly, but every example is in terms of some pre-existing "Machine", "Service", "Application" SCOM classes/Models and doesn't seem to be applicable to completely custom classes which have no relationship to any natural network/server/machine monitoring concepts. 

In short i have been searching and searching for resources on building a hierarchical dashboard view with custom colors/UI based on competely custom SCOM classes in my management pack.

The data model and getting the data in is no problem I have figured that out. It's figuring out how exactly to monitor/indicate/display/alert that data the way I want which has completely eluded me. 

Does anyone have any guidance on this type of completely custom integration?

Thanks!

Wednesday, November 24, 2010 11:20 PM

Answers

• Hi. No activity for 30 days. Will mark as answer. Feel free to re-open. Thanks
    Anders Bengtsson | Microsoft PFE | blog at http://www.contoso.se
    Friday, December 31, 2010 9:54 AM

All replies

• Maybe it's just me, but I'm unclear as to what your question is after reading this.  Can you be more specific about your question?  Might need to break this down into more than one question in the forum.
    HTH, Jonathan Almquist - MSFT
    Thursday, December 23, 2010 12:49 AM
  • Hi. No activity for 30 days. Will mark as answer. Feel free to re-open. Thanks
    Anders Bengtsson | Microsoft PFE | blog at http://www.contoso.se
    Friday, December 31, 2010 9:54 AM