none
Slow logon while joined to Homegroup - Why do Function Discovery Resource Publicaton then HomeGroup Provider services hang initially? RRS feed

• Question

• * While joined to a HomeGroup, if an attempt is made to log on under a user account immediately after start-up, then reaching the log on takes a period of time several fold of longer than normal to complete. Subsequent log-ons/switch-users then take the normal period of time until next start-up.

* If following start-up there is a delay before attempting to logon, then the first logon takes the normal brief period of time.

The event log  consistently witnesses the following two errors seen to coincide with each slow logon.

1: The Function Discovery Resource Publication service hung on starting.

leading to

2: The HomeGroup Provider service depends on the Function Discovery Resource Publication service which failed to start because of the following error:
    After starting, the service hung in a start-pending state.

* Eventually the delayed logons complete, by which time the two failed services are seen to have finally successfully started; HomeGroups are also seen to be functioning normally. 

* Removing the machine from the Homegroup solves the issue, re-join the HomeGroup and it returns.

* Windows 8 Pro, WORKGROUP machine with local accounts.

* This issue has been confirmed with at least two users; I have no reason to think it would not occur for all users immediately after logon.

I acknowledge that setting the service to start 'automatically' might work around the issue, but would prefer to solve why the services aren't starting as presumably intended.

Has anybody seen this or does anybody have any suggestions as to how to determine what is causing this hang and resulting delay? 

(Windows does not seem to be reporting the error back to Microsoft, if there is something further I can do to opt into registering these occurrences with Microsoft then I would happily participate and would appreciate any guidance as to how to do so.)

• Edited by Anthony.group7 Tuesday, February 5, 2013 8:27 PM Readability (grammar) and clrification
    Tuesday, February 5, 2013 8:13 PM

Answers

• Hi,

What are the start types of the two services? If they are Automatic, you may try to change it to Automatic(Delay) or Manual for a test.

Anyway, I record your report.

Juke Chou
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, February 11, 2013 9:31 AM

All replies

• Hi,

What are the start types of the two services? If they are Automatic, you may try to change it to Automatic(Delay) or Manual for a test.

Anyway, I record your report.

Juke Chou
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, February 11, 2013 9:31 AM
  • Same issue for me
    Saturday, February 16, 2013 12:03 PM
  • Sorry, but this didn't help me - this it definetly not an answer
    Sunday, March 3, 2013 10:59 AM
  • Same iusse for me
    Wednesday, March 20, 2013 1:33 PM
  • the problem only occurs if you restart computer if you shutdown the computer and after power on no problem occurs...
    Wednesday, March 20, 2013 1:35 PM
  • use my guide to trace the boot:

Trace why Windows 8 boots, shutsdown or hibernate slowly
    http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=158252

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Wednesday, March 20, 2013 7:26 PM
    Answerer
  • This is definitely not the answer. I am an IT professional with over 25 years in windows experience. 

I have seen this many times for many years on multiple OSes with default configurations.

And easy to reproduce.  Build a Win system off of full OS .iso.  Add it to an existing home group upon install.

After rebuild complete with full patching, reboot the system, go into any shares on the computer that manages the home group.  It will consistently take many minutes to establish a connection with multiple errors if you click on a share.

In my 25 years, I may have reported one other issue to Microsoft. This one is annoying.

Regards

Tuesday, January 26, 2016 7:25 AM