how to enable minidump RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, I read a crash report on a game called Minecraft and it said I needed to enable Minidumps. I found out what the are but could not find out how to enable them. So if anyone could show me how to enable them that would be great
    Sunday, September 30, 2018 7:35 AM

All replies

• You could enable it by using this method.

To ensure minidumps are enabled:
    Go to Start, in the Search Box type: sysdm.cpl, press Enter.
    (In win 8 you can use the windows key "win" + "s")

Under the Advanced tab, click on the Startup and Recovery Settings button.

Ensure that Automatically restart is unchecked.

Under the Write Debugging Information header select Small memory dump (256 kB) in the drop down box (the 256kb varies).  If you are on win 10 use "automatic memory dmp"

Ensure that the Small Dump Directory is listed as %systemroot%\Minidump.

OK your way out.

Reboot if changes have been made.

Source:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/bsod-finding-and-fixing-them/1939df35-283f-4830-a4dd-e95ee5d8669d

ZigZag3143 (MS -MVP)

Sunday, September 30, 2018 7:50 AM
  • For Windows 7 perform the following steps:

1) In the left lower corner search type: system or system control > open system control panel > on the left pane click advanced system settings

a) > on the advanced tab under startup and recovery > click settings > post an image of the startup and recovery into the thread.

b) > on the advanced tab under performance > click on settings > under performance options > click on the advanced tab > under virtual memory > click on change > post an image of the virtual memory tab into the thread

If you post the images we can guide you through the settings and make sure that they are configured correctly.

Alternatively you can follow the txt and images in this link:

https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/174459-dump-files-configure-windows-create-bsod.html

2) If the computer has Ccleaner > click windows tab > scroll down to system and advanced > post an image into the thread

Dumps can be created by the above steps however there are time in which crash dump fails or dump files are deleted.

Windows will automatically delete memory dump files if the free space on the windows drive is < 25 GB.

And if if there is any drive cleaning software they must be modified so that the files are not accidentally deleted.

Once you have dump files they should be submitted to the company for debugging.

If you have any BSOD related to window crashes we have the database to debug them.

For applications the company would need to have a database to debug the application crashes.

Sunday, September 30, 2018 8:22 AM
  • i am using win xp

Sunday, September 30, 2018 8:53 AM
  • Hi,

Please follow the steps below about How to Enable Kernel Memory Dumps.

http://www.mcci.com/mcci-v5/support/howtos2.html

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Hope it could be helpful

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, October 2, 2018 7:25 AM