Vista Ultimate refuses to shut down. RRS feed

• Question

• +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

++  UPDATE 29TH APRIL 2007....

++  Problem bypassed by........

++ Don't run the Windows Side-Bar application.

++  It is "spooky" but...If I don't run the side-bar and it's gadgets then the problem does NOT occur.

++ Almost suggests that the sidebar and the embedded gadgets hold up processes that Vista cannot close.

++ Which migh imply it's the gadgets that are dirty and not "Vista" but that let's MS off the hook.

++ Which would never do :-)

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Can anyone give me any advice here please...Vista is making my PC life a misery.

Just to set the scene...The PC Set up is a brand new system (Dual-Core x64 AMD) 4GB RAM 3 x 250GB Sata, 1 x 120GB IDE, Sli video.

All latest drivers etc. etc.

When I say Start/Shutdown or Start/Restart  Vista just sits there forever and never, ever completes the shutdown or restart process. 

Occasionally after 20 minutes of waiting I might get a transition from the normal UI to the "Logging Off" screen...but thereafter it sits in the logoff screen forever (well, overnight is a long enough waiting period as far as I am concerned).

Rearrange my boot-order of drives for my old XP system and there are no similar problems under XP Pro EVER ...shutdown occurs within 45 seconds.

As all other things are exactly the same the only conclusion I can draw is that Vista is misbehaving.

Given that 30% of my existing peripheral hardware had to be replaced to accomodate Vista and 50% of the applications won't run under Vista ..... the Vista "Wow" has turn out to be Vista "Doh!"  and I wish I had not wasted my money.

Does anyone else have this problem...or better yet, know of a cure, because I can't find one.

Many TIA.

Dan.

Friday, March 16, 2007 3:04 PM

All replies

• I am having the same problem with Vista Ultimate.....and cant find a solution so far.....I think Vista should have been tested longer, because its been nothing but a headache, especially for the price you have to pay for it 
    Tuesday, March 27, 2007 3:29 PM
  • I have had a VISTA OS for 4 weeks.  For the past two weeks I have the same problem with Vista Home Premium operating on a Dell Inspiron E 1525 laptop.  I looked in the Vista controll panel under power options and chaged a few things but that did not help.  As far as I know this problem happened overnight probably when the phase of the moon in Seattle changed.  I have Norton 360, am pretty careful on the web and have uploaded no new software lately.  This code needs to be more robust.  Hopefully someone at Microsoft..or elsewhere.. can help.  Will the first service pack address this and when will it be out?  Is there a short term patch?

I can work around the lack of available drivers..ie Dell sold me a Kensington wireless mouse with the computer, but no drivers are available yet..and have had to reload some from the Dell website but it is very frustrating to have the operating system not work properly
    Anyone have a fix?
    Bob
    Wednesday, March 28, 2007 12:03 AM
  • i have the same problem it realy sucks ):

Tuesday, April 3, 2007 12:31 AM
  • I just bought a brand new inspiron notebook and after one day this happened!  Now what do I do! all I have is a $1000 brick.
    Thursday, April 26, 2007 12:37 AM
  • Same darn problem for me.  Had my new dell laptop for 2 weeks with Vista and now all of a suddent it just freezes at "shutting down"
    Sunday, April 29, 2007 3:41 AM
  • I ended up removing the battery pack overnight, the next morning, put the battery back in, and plugged in the ac adapter.  When it booted up, it finally reconized a problem and asked me to boot up in safe mode.  I booted in safe mode, the shut down using the "shut down" feature in the start menu.

I was able to boot up normally and immediately downloaded all the "patches" for Vista.  Since then - no problems.  I personally beileve that these issues arise with the "gadget" feature, as I had this problem as soon as I tried to shut down this program.

Good luck to all

Sunday, April 29, 2007 11:56 AM
  • I'm using Google sidebar but don't know if that's what caused the hang with Logging Out. Also using Vista home basic.

I managed to regain control of machine by powering down (which goes into sleep) then pressing power button during power up sequence just as machine entered "Resuming Windows" phase. It gave me the option to resume the restart or start clean. Of course I chose to start clean.

Saturday, May 26, 2007 4:46 PM
  • If you do a search, you can see, that you are not the only one with the problem.
    Look at this thread for the same issue http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1600936&SiteID=17

Does this also happen, if you uninstall your Nvidia display driver?
    Saturday, May 26, 2007 7:01 PM
  • Thanks for the post, but I have now resolved this problem.

All you have to do is remove Windows Sidebar.

Saturday, May 26, 2007 7:12 PM
  • Ok, different reason for the same issue then Smile
    Sunday, May 27, 2007 9:12 AM