none
Cannot Delete Project from the Delete Enterprise Objects Menu RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I am having an issue deleting a project from the "Delete Enterprise Objects" Menu. The Project has been deleted from the Draft Database but is not deleting from the Published Database. The Job in the Queue errors out providing the following error message:

Collections:
    rejectedTimesheetLines (System.Guid) :
    Item value = '288eb7e7-4b21-40d8-8ea1-3e251eb7c3de' :
    Error: id='10000' name='GeneralItemDoesNotExist' uid='a95b7c84-8703-4b5b-9441-c23a24361c29'
    Error: id='10000' name='GeneralItemDoesNotExist' uid='86a92f4c-ac92-4028-ab01-18f03e7922b7'
    Error: id='10000' name='GeneralItemDoesNotExist' uid='ead631fc-71df-420e-8aa3-07d9d0c5f981'
    Error: id='10000' name='GeneralItemDoesNotExist' uid='1e20553e-5b03-4634-849e-06327631857c'
    Error: id='10000' name='GeneralItemDoesNotExist' uid='9a954cbc-c9e8-4be6-bd08-0552f7ff4001'
    Error: id='10000' name='GeneralItemDoesNotExist' uid='8347a479-7772-4521-91e9-66264bfd348b'

General
    Error:
    ProjectDeleteFailure (23006). Details: id='23006' name='ProjectDeleteFailure' uid='5b28e90f-e9c2-4b89-981b-de8837101dd8' projectuid='6cd94ea2-d991-4b5b-b432-95e500114e1d' messagetype='Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.BusinessLayer.QueueMsg.AdjustTimeSheetForDeletedProjectMessage' messageID='6' stage='' blocking='Undefined'.
    Queue:
    GeneralQueueJobFailed (26000) - ProjectDelete.AdjustTimeSheetForDeletedProjectMessage. Details: id='26000' name='GeneralQueueJobFailed' uid='73499be8-9f55-4b1f-ad11-33b8544f02bf' JobUID='36f8d631-539c-4fdd-99ec-cfc1c234a737' ComputerName='Server1' GroupType='ProjectDelete' MessageType='AdjustTimeSheetForDeletedProjectMessage' MessageId='6' Stage=''. For more details, check the ULS logs on machine Server1 for entries with JobUID 36f8d631-539c-4fdd-99ec-cfc1c234a737.

Any Help would be greatly appreciated.

Thursday, October 7, 2010 11:42 AM

Answers

• I Second Jack's suggestion.

I will give you troubleshooting path:
    1. Take the four project databases backup and restore it on different name
    2. Provision test PWA using those restored databases
    3. Delete timesheet period one by one, at the same time try to delete the project
    4. Once you have identified the period, find the tasks reported in that particular period
    5. later identify the timesheet, remove the assignement from the timesheet                                                                                                                               6. Later follow the same actio plan at production                                                                                        

It may be tedious, but worked.
    Please let us know if you find any shortcut.

Cheers. Happy troubleshooting !!! Sriram E - MSFT Enterprise Project Management
    Saturday, October 9, 2010 5:11 AM

All replies

• Hi All,

I am having an issue deleting a project from the "Delete Enterprise Objects" Menu. The Project has been deleted from the Draft Database but is not deleting from the Published Database. The Job in the Queue errors out providing the following error message:

Collections:
    rejectedTimesheetLines (System.Guid) :
    Item value = '288eb7e7-4b21-40d8-8ea1-3e251eb7c3de' :
    Error: id='10000' name='GeneralItemDoesNotExist' uid='a95b7c84-8703-4b5b-9441-c23a24361c29'
    Error: id='10000' name='GeneralItemDoesNotExist' uid='86a92f4c-ac92-4028-ab01-18f03e7922b7'
    Error: id='10000' name='GeneralItemDoesNotExist' uid='ead631fc-71df-420e-8aa3-07d9d0c5f981'
    Error: id='10000' name='GeneralItemDoesNotExist' uid='1e20553e-5b03-4634-849e-06327631857c'
    Error: id='10000' name='GeneralItemDoesNotExist' uid='9a954cbc-c9e8-4be6-bd08-0552f7ff4001'
    Error: id='10000' name='GeneralItemDoesNotExist' uid='8347a479-7772-4521-91e9-66264bfd348b'

General
    Error:
    ProjectDeleteFailure (23006). Details: id='23006' name='ProjectDeleteFailure' uid='5b28e90f-e9c2-4b89-981b-de8837101dd8' projectuid='6cd94ea2-d991-4b5b-b432-95e500114e1d' messagetype='Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.BusinessLayer.QueueMsg.AdjustTimeSheetForDeletedProjectMessage' messageID='6' stage='' blocking='Undefined'.
    Queue:
    GeneralQueueJobFailed (26000) - ProjectDelete.AdjustTimeSheetForDeletedProjectMessage. Details: id='26000' name='GeneralQueueJobFailed' uid='73499be8-9f55-4b1f-ad11-33b8544f02bf' JobUID='36f8d631-539c-4fdd-99ec-cfc1c234a737' ComputerName='Server1' GroupType='ProjectDelete' MessageType='AdjustTimeSheetForDeletedProjectMessage' MessageId='6' Stage=''. For more details, check the ULS logs on machine Server1 for entries with JobUID 36f8d631-539c-4fdd-99ec-cfc1c234a737.

Any Help would be greatly appreciated.

I had this problem. There is likely a timesheet out there that is in the process of being rejected which is hanging this up. Check to see that all timesheets are either accepted or not submitted then try again to delete.

Jack Dahlgren blogs at:
    Project and Retrovention
    and rarely Twitter
    Thursday, October 7, 2010 3:10 PM
  • I Second Jack's suggestion.

I will give you troubleshooting path:
    1. Take the four project databases backup and restore it on different name
    2. Provision test PWA using those restored databases
    3. Delete timesheet period one by one, at the same time try to delete the project
    4. Once you have identified the period, find the tasks reported in that particular period
    5. later identify the timesheet, remove the assignement from the timesheet                                                                                                                               6. Later follow the same actio plan at production                                                                                        

It may be tedious, but worked.
    Please let us know if you find any shortcut.

Cheers. Happy troubleshooting !!! Sriram E - MSFT Enterprise Project Management
    Saturday, October 9, 2010 5:11 AM
  • Thanks for this post Jack

We have experienced the same issue with 3 projects during the past couple of months. Following these steps did however help us identify the timesheets which we recalled and resent - after this we were able to delete the project.

I am however a bit concerned about this for two reasons:

• This is more of a fire fighting approach and we are thus unsure why this actually happens, the timesheets we recalled were actuall approved and did not seem to have any issues. We are thus not sure what the actual cause of this is and how to prevent this or escalate this to MS for a possible fix.
    • For us this excercise was relatively easy as we dont have that many projects and users and the project durations are mostly relatively short. Experiencing these problems in a big enterprise environment with very large projects with very long durations and many resources booking time on these projects, one would agree that this is bit of concern if this happens quite often.

My question is this, does anyone know what the exact cause of this is so that we can rather look at fixing the issues?

Regards

Coenraad Swanepoel

Wednesday, November 3, 2010 7:09 AM
  • Coenraad,

I was able to reproduce the same issue on a demo machine. What I did was:

• create a project with some assignments and publish;
    • log on as the resource, go into the Timesheet and report my time against the project tasks;
    • submit the Timesheet. Since Single Entry Mode was enabled, that caused the Tasks to be submitted to the PM;
    • log on as the PM, accept the Tasks update and republish the Project;
    • go to Server Settings and try to delete the Published version of the Project;
    • the Queue showed the error above, pointing to the Timesheet Lines related to the tasks approved.

The strange thing is that the error states "rejectedTimesheetLines" but there were no rejected lines.

Another strange thing is that if the resource updates the information via Tasks and submit from there, even if the hours are reported inside the Timesheet you are then able to delete the Project Published version.

Regards,

Fabrizio.

Tuesday, November 23, 2010 5:04 PM
  • Hi,

Fabrizio, thanks for the detailled description. After a lot of tests I could finally reproduce.

This only happens, if resource is not its own timesheet manager. If timesheet is auto-approved by system because of resource=timesheet manager, it works as I expect it to do.
    The issue does occur if timesheet manager is another user, regardless if timesheet is already approved.

I have no solution (and cross my fingers that MS will have), but I think following SQL could help to identify affected timesheets a bit easier than restoring DBs:
    SELECT     PeriodName, ResourceName, ProjectName, TaskName
    FROM         dbo.MSP_TimesheetLine_UserViewCF
    WHERE     (ProjectUID NOT IN
                              (SELECT     ProjectUID
                                FROM          dbo.MSP_EpmProject_UserView))

Regards
    Barbara

Tuesday, November 23, 2010 7:14 PM
  • Thanks for the feedback Barbara. Will try this script next time. We actually have a report we use which were quite helpful to identify the the timesheets we need to check - the actual problem we face now is the the problematic timesheets which cause us not to be able to delete the project, cannot be fixed:) We can delete or recall the timesheets and redo them, and all works fine except the RDB refresh - and since the RDB does not get updated, Project Server does not allow us to delete the project - so we are stuck!

MS is aware of the issue where the timesheet data in the RDB does not refresh successfully, if this gets fixed it will sort out the 'project delete' issue.

Regards

Coenraad Swanepoel

Thursday, November 25, 2010 6:50 AM
  • Hi Coenraad,

my main concern for this issue is, that a project can't be deleted if a timesheet exists. Is the failing refresh of RDB the root cause or only a symptom for that?

Regards
    Barbara 

• Proposed as answer by WLID1966 Friday, November 26, 2010 9:06 AM
    Thursday, November 25, 2010 7:05 AM
  • Hello Barbara,

I'm a beginner in SQL. Could you tell on which database you run this script? I tried on the Published datbase but it failed : Object name "dbo.MSP_TimesheetLine_UserViewCF
    " nor valid.

Thanks

Thursday, November 25, 2010 9:37 PM
  • Hi Barbara

The root cause of not being able to delete the project is due to timesheets with tasks from that project which has not been 'finalised' yet, i.e, there is a rejected update or something. If you then identify these and fix/finalise them you can delete the project. The problem of the RDB refresh that fails just makes the problem worse since you cannot 'fix' the timesheet in order to be able to delete the project, so then you are basically stuck!

Hope it makes sense?

Regards

Coenraad Swanepoel

Friday, November 26, 2010 6:41 AM
  • Hi

Use the Reporting DB.

Regards

Coenraad Swanepoel

• Proposed as answer by WLID1966 Friday, November 26, 2010 9:05 AM
    Friday, November 26, 2010 6:41 AM
  • Hi Coenraad,

I am fine with your " problem of the RDB refresh that fails just makes the problem worse". I only was not sure, if - when it will be solved at some time - RDB refresh will be resolved. In my opinion, it has to be possible to delete projects even if timesheet exists.

Another question: When I was able to reproduce, my timesheet was not stuck at all. I have also tried with an approved one, and I had the same issue (if I not misremember?). The only difference I could find was the approver. If a resource was his own timesheet manager, so timesheet auto-approved by sytsem, there was no issue. If timesheet manager was someone else, project deletion from published DB failed.

Thanks for response!
    Barbara

Friday, November 26, 2010 12:26 PM
  • Hi Everyone,

I have found the Timesheet that is causing the issue but as barbara explained in an earlier post is that since the user was their own timesheet manager it was auto-approved (This has caused me some grief).

I cannot alter the users time sheet to remove the row that contains the task that is related to the project I am trying to delete out of the published DB as it the timesheet has already been approved. Normally i could just Recall the Timesheet and get the task removed. This method  only applies if the timesheet was not approved (this option is now out of the question as the timesheet was auto-approved). Since I know the timesheet that is causing issues, what are my options for removing the task from the timesheet or the timesheet itself? (possibly from the PWA admin Interface allowise it will be adminstrativily difficult from our administrators perspective). I can see the timesheet in the "dbo.MSP_Timesheet_Actions_Published_View" if it helps.

Any further help would be appreciated. 

Monday, November 29, 2010 11:16 PM
  • Trent,

I think what you can do is the following:

• delegate as the user whose timesheet is causing the issue
    • go to Manage Timesheets and delete the timesheet
    • delete the project from Published DB and re-publish it
    • re-create the timesheet you deleted (always as delegate) and re-submit (it should be auto-approved). Every project actuals should be already added to the timesheet, you only have to add admin-time (if any).

What I really don't understand is why deleting the project should affect timesheets. Even beacuse if you have a problem with a project that is running for some months you will probably have several timesheets to delete!

Regards,

Fabrizio.

Wednesday, December 1, 2010 9:03 AM
  • Here is the solution for this issue

Run  this Query against your PorjectServer_Published data base . Change the proj_UID in red with your PROJ_UID .

try to delete the project again it will be deleted from published data base this time .

delete MSP_TIMESHEET_ACTUALs where ts_line_UID IN (SELECT DISTINCT A.TS_LINE_UID FROM MSP_TIMESHEET_ACTIONS A

INNER JOIN MSP_TIMESHEET_LINES L ON A.TS_LINE_UID = L.TS_LINE_UID WHERE A.TS_ACTION_ENUM = 1 AND L.PROJ_UID = 'FB1-FFDDFD54F48B')

delete MSP_TIMESHEET_LINES where ts_line_UID IN (SELECT DISTINCT A.TS_LINE_UID FROM MSP_TIMESHEET_ACTIONS A

INNER JOIN MSP_TIMESHEET_LINES L ON A.TS_LINE_UID = L.TS_LINE_UID WHERE A.TS_ACTION_ENUM = 1 AND L.PROJ_UID = 'FB1-FFDDFD54F48B')

UF
    Wednesday, March 2, 2011 9:30 PM
  • I have a similar problem but in contrast to Barbara's experience, all our users are their own timesheet managers and we still had the problem.  It deleted OK from Draft and not from Published. 

Wednesday, May 4, 2011 9:04 PM