SCOM Upgrade SCOM agent RRS feed

• Question

• We have existing SCOM 2016 on Server 2012 R2 that monitors all our servers

Now we deployed SCOM 2019 on Server 2016 -- new management group

How can i migrate all the clients to SCOM 2019 Management group

I have seen options regarding multi home for management groups , but would like to know how the agent actually upgrade form 2016 to 2019

Wednesday, June 5, 2019 8:33 AM

Answers

• 1.Multi home the agents --- where do i install the KH management pack on 2016 MG or 2019 MG

Answer: On both 2016 & 2019 MGs.

2.Will 2016 client be able to work with Scom 2019 MG or vice versa

Answer: SCOM 2016 has supported coexistence with SCOM 2019 (official documentation HERE).

3.What is the best way to run the upgrade - we have sccm we can use to PUSH the new 2019 MSI to all 2016 agents 

Answer: You can use any way you like, SCCM, automated scripts, or the way I described above.

Once you have the the SCOM Management management pack imported, there is a task where you can add or remove Management Groups, you can then siimply select all your SCOM agents and then click the "Management Group - ADD" task.

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

Wednesday, June 5, 2019 10:08 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Once you have set up multi-homing for the SCOM agents, I would recommend you to install Kevin Holman's "SCOM Management" management pack, this is a very useful management packs for many things.

With this management pack you will receive a SCOM management base class task called "Execute any PowerShell", you can make use of this task to update the SCOM agents on multiple SCOM agent computers.

Here's a step-by-step walkthrough on how to update the SCOM agents:

1. Download and import the SCOM Management management pack.

2. Create a share on your SCOM server where you place the MOMAgent.msi in the share.

3. In the SCOM console, go to Monitoring > SCOM Management > SCOM Agents > select all the agents which have an older agent version.

4. On the right-hand side click Execute any PowerShell.

5. You can then define a user account that has permissions on all the agent computers (for example: Domain Admin account).

6. Then click Override.

7. In the ScriptBody, type the command to install the SCOM agent manually and define the path to the share where you placed the MOMAgent.msi.

For installing the SCOM agent manually, you can refer to the following link:

Examples of installing the agent from the command line
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/system-center/scom/manage-deploy-windows-agent-manually?view=sc-om-2019#examples-of-installing-the-agent-from-the-command-line

8. Finally click Run.

Best regards,
    Leon

Wednesday, June 5, 2019 8:55 AM
  • what is the best way to achieve it.

i have 2016 Management group (MG) with all Agents managed by it

I have 2019 new Management group with no client

what i want to achieve is :

1.Multi home the agents --- where do i install the KH management pack on 2016 MG or 2019 MG

3.What is the best way to run the upgrade - we have sccm we can use to PUSH the new 2019 MSI to all 2016 agents 

Wednesday, June 5, 2019 9:56 AM
  • 1.Multi home the agents --- where do i install the KH management pack on 2016 MG or 2019 MG

Answer: On both 2016 & 2019 MGs.

Answer: SCOM 2016 has supported coexistence with SCOM 2019 (official documentation HERE).

Answer: You can use any way you like, SCCM, automated scripts, or the way I described above.

Once you have the the SCOM Management management pack imported, there is a task where you can add or remove Management Groups, you can then siimply select all your SCOM agents and then click the "Management Group - ADD" task.

Wednesday, June 5, 2019 10:08 AM