none
Respect Links RRS feed

• Question

• I have an issue in that my subproject activates although logically linked into a master project are now reflecting the same dates.  I am having to go through my subprojects and manually select tasks/activity and then select "Respect Links' to drive the dates through.

As you can imagine this is somewhat cumbersome.  These are not Manually Schedules tasks

Monday, August 15, 2016 4:08 AM

All replies

• You will appreciate that it is very, very difficult to provide the right answer without being able to see what you can see, and with only the limited explanation/description you have given here.

But I will have a go.

Does the "master" project consist only of inserted sub-projects, or does it have alos its own tasks?

Are you linking tasks in one sub-project to tasks in another sub-project?

Are you linking tasks in sub-projects to tasks in the master project?

Are you linking any summary headings to other summaries, or to tasks, in the other sub-projects.

Did you try F9 to force a calculation?

Monday, August 15, 2016 4:42 AM
  • The Master has a series of milestones and then a number of subprojects.

The Master is driven from the subprojects.

Links between projects are all routed through the master.  Subproject to master to subproject.

I have been using the 'Respect Links' command to force the dates both up into the master but also back down into subprojects as required.

This has pretty much solved the date issues albeit it took me a day and a half to fix.Challenge is to either ensure this does not happen again or option to force dates in one hit rather than having to trace up and down logic paths pushing here and there.

Tuesday, August 16, 2016 4:20 AM
  • With linked master files, if you have ever renamed, moved or over-written any of the files, or any of the files live on a disk drive not physically in your building than file corruption has to be a possibility. It's when, not if though you may get lucky and survive a year or two.

So good luck. It doesn't help if the master has its own tasks. The master should preferably only ever have subprojects.

Good luck

Rod Gill
    Author of the one and only Project VBA Book
    www.project-systems.co.nz

Tuesday, August 16, 2016 8:57 AM
  • Thanks

I have inherited a beast that has been set up and run in such a way that it does everything you say not to do, oh happy joy

Opportunities abound for improvement

Thursday, August 18, 2016 5:51 AM
  • Then I recommend

1. Unlinking all sub projects.
    2. Copy milestones to their own sub project.
    3. Delete old master file
    4. Open each sub-project in turn
    5. Copy useful Views, tables filters etc to the Global.mpt file using Organizer
    6. Save to xml format then re-open into a new file and save as .mpp again.

Now you should have a clean set of files. Either re-create a new linked master and remember not to rename etc. or start using unlinked master files that you create each week. I use a macro to do this. You also get consolidated resources.

Be happy!

Rod Gill
    Author of the one and only Project VBA Book
    www.project-systems.co.nz

Thursday, August 18, 2016 9:46 PM