none
Error 80072EFE on Windows Update (Windows 7) RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings.

When I look for updates at Windows Update, it doesn't find anything and an 80072EFE error message shows up. I've already tried many things but nothing worked, including disabling my firewall.
    Tuesday, July 13, 2010 11:36 PM

Answers

• Hi,

The cause varies. There are several  fixes you can try:

1. Reset router (if any).
    2. Correct the date and time settings.
    3. Clear virus.
    4. Set static IP through Internet options->connection.

Meanwhile, the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article will offer some helpful troubleshooting suggestions although the steps applies to Windows XP and such:

You may receive an "Error 0x80072EE2," "Error 0x80072EE7," "Error 0x80072EFD," "Error 0x80072F76," or "Error 0x80072F78" error message when you try to use the Windows Update Web site or the Microsoft Update Web site:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/836941/en-us

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Friday, July 16, 2010 7:08 AM

All replies

• It seems that update.microsoft.com isn't working for me too.
    Wednesday, July 14, 2010 9:26 PM
  • Hi,

The cause varies. There are several  fixes you can try:

1. Reset router (if any).
    2. Correct the date and time settings.
    3. Clear virus.
    4. Set static IP through Internet options->connection.

Meanwhile, the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article will offer some helpful troubleshooting suggestions although the steps applies to Windows XP and such:

You may receive an "Error 0x80072EE2," "Error 0x80072EE7," "Error 0x80072EFD," "Error 0x80072F76," or "Error 0x80072F78" error message when you try to use the Windows Update Web site or the Microsoft Update Web site:

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Friday, July 16, 2010 7:08 AM
  • I am running 3 Windows 7 machines on my home network. All except mine have no issues with update.

I have tried everything

1. Spyware from about 5 different vendors

2. Registry cleaners

3. Uninstall / Reinstall Network adaptor driver

4. Reset / reconfigure Router

5. Follow all the steps in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/836941/en-us and follow-on steps recommended in other associated articles

6. Install and run Microsoft's security essentials (which cannot download the new definition files)

7. Delete CATROOT2 directory

8. Delete SOFTWARE DISTRIBUTION directory

9. Microsoft's malicious software removal finds an issue but cannot fix it - it uploads to microsoft and then finishes.

Every other program on my machine works that is can connect to internet and download updates - why is there a problem with only Microsoft Update?

I am willing to pay for a fix that will solve this problem.

thanks

Saturday, July 31, 2010 3:59 AM
  • Follow the short procedure to solve problem with error code 800727EFE and other error codes in windows Visita

Actually it works perfect for me windows Visita and may be it works for other windows too. Try it is free and safe
    1. Download TDSSKiller from any web or search on google.
    2. Extract the zip and run then it will scan all and will say scan complete or proceed.
    3, Proceed and do not for get to REBOOT the computer.
    4, Then try to make uodate , The problem is Over.
    That is Super . Thanks to those who share me these.

Lamek.

Regards,

• Proposed as answer by Lamek Saturday, August 21, 2010 5:56 PM
    Saturday, August 21, 2010 5:54 PM
  • I was having the same error message. I couldn't get Windows Update or Microsoft Security Essentials to update.

After resetting my router. Going from wireless to wired. Resetting the wireless repository. Connecting to a different network. Scanning my machine with the Malicious Software removal tool, Malwarebytes, and AVG nothing come up as a found problem.

Checked the host file. Proxy settings.

Reinstalled all the patches that were installed the last Microsoft updates that installed, it still didn't work. I was stumped.

The only other thing that I noticed on my machine, was that "some" google links were being directed. I ran hijack this. And still no issues found.

Then I tried tdsskiller as to solve the google redirect issue.

It found and cured the file C:\Windows\System32\drivers\nsiproxy.sys

I rebooted. And boom! Everything was fixed. WUS and MSE both update now. And my google redirect is fixed.

Just wanted to share that after 3 days of trial and error, it was fixed with TDSSKiller from <cite>kaspersky.com</cite>

Friday, September 24, 2010 2:50 PM
  • Wow this worked!!! I have searched everywhere for a solution , for two years I have not be able to look for updates, until now when TDSSKiller found an malware my anti virus programs didn't find
    Saturday, March 9, 2013 12:07 PM