Different BSoDs when gaming for 20+ minutes RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there, 

I had a custom rig built for me in March and it gets a BSoD every time I'm playing a hi-spec game like GTA 4 or Crysis, and quite often in other, not so demanding games like Civilisation 4 or half life. The bluescreens are usually different from each other, some being the IRQL nonsense and also KMODE exceptions & Page faults in nonpaged areas. 

I've tried all I can think of, and I asked some fourms a while ago which said to run memtest and sfc /scannow and reinstall windows, so I've done all of that but it still happens.

Specs:

CPU: AMD Athlon II X4 630 2.8Ghz 2MB AM3 95W 45nm

RAM: 4GB Kit Dual Channel RAM DDR2-800 PC6400 OEM

HDD: Western Digital 1TB Caviar Green WD10EADS 32MB 7200rpm & Samsung HD154UI

DVD Drive: Lite-On SATA DVDRW iHAS324 Super 24x DVD CD Writer

Motherboard: Asus M4N78 SE AM2+ AM3 Phenom nForce 720D Raid GBLan ATX

Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD5770

Power supply: Aywun 750W MEGA POWER ECO 140mm Fan A1-750E PSU ATX

Using Microsoft Security Essentials as AV

I saw on a few sites that it could be voltage settings in BIOS, but I have no experience changing bios settings so I couldn't find any way to do that. I sent it back to the shop a month ago and they updated the BIOS but it still gets the problem.

Also the ASUS website is unbelievably hard to understand but I've installed what I think are the right drivers (for the motherboard) from there.

I've put the minidumps here: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=WP1AW33R

Please help me, it's the first custom pc I've had and I'm getting ready to smash it with a hammer. 

Friday, September 24, 2010 2:30 AM

Answers

• A couple of things you could consider.

Even though the RAM tested OK, the problem may still be the RAM.

Try removing one module of RAM and see if there is any improvement.

If not, remove that module and try the other one.

If there is improvement with either module keep in mind that just re-seating the RAM can often fix a problem with the RAM.

Also, consider updating the BIOS to version 1401 as that latest BIOS update is to "improve system stability". 

• Marked as answer by Miya Yao Friday, October 1, 2010 8:19 AM
    Friday, September 24, 2010 3:06 AM
  • Try the following link:

http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?model=M4N78%20SE&os=30&SLanguage=en-us

According to the minidump file you have 1205 installed.

You can check the BIOS version here:

Start > type msinfo32 in the "Search programs and files" box and press "Enter"  > System Summary > BIOS Version/Date (in the right window)

Friday, September 24, 2010 10:56 AM

All replies

• A couple of things you could consider.

Even though the RAM tested OK, the problem may still be the RAM.

Try removing one module of RAM and see if there is any improvement.

If not, remove that module and try the other one.

If there is improvement with either module keep in mind that just re-seating the RAM can often fix a problem with the RAM.

Also, consider updating the BIOS to version 1401 as that latest BIOS update is to "improve system stability". 

Friday, September 24, 2010 3:06 AM
  • Thanks for the suggestions. Can I ask where you saw the 1401 BIOS update? the Asus website for me says that the latest version is 0602, and apparently I have 1025 installed. 
    Friday, September 24, 2010 9:39 AM
  • Try the following link:

http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?model=M4N78%20SE&os=30&SLanguage=en-us

According to the minidump file you have 1205 installed.

You can check the BIOS version here:

Start > type msinfo32 in the "Search programs and files" box and press "Enter"  > System Summary > BIOS Version/Date (in the right window)

Friday, September 24, 2010 10:56 AM
  • Thanks, I've just upgraded the BIOS, I'll put a game on overnight and hope for the best!

Friday, September 24, 2010 11:42 AM
  • You're welcome and good luck!
    Saturday, September 25, 2010 12:02 AM