none
Database auto-protection failed for DPM server RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I am getting an error in DPM saying that "Database auto-protection failed" for the DPM server itself with no Protection Group listed.  I'm assuming that this relates to some inherent protection in DPM as it doesn't seem to relate to any protection groups I have created.  The Detailed Errors link indicates that "The retention range cannot be achieved with the current synchronization frequency".  As this isn't a protection group I've created (or can see) I'm not sure how to resolve this.

Thanks

Alan

Friday, May 25, 2012 8:17 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Verify that you don't use any search option that filter your PG view in the Search's field.

There is no restriction (Maybe I'm wrong) when using "Auto-protection" on DPM Instance.

Your error message seems to be more related to the max number of VSS snapshot (448) you may have when protecting an application. 

Stéphane.

Friday, May 25, 2012 2:33 PM
  • Hi Alan

Are you using SQL Express local on the protection server if this is the cases then ensure that you have sufficient free space on the drive where the DPM application is installed?

Here is the location of the Database

<drive>:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\DPMDB\DPMDB

Here is the location of the backup directory

<Drive>:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\SQL\MSSQL10.MSDPM2010\MSSQL\Backup

There is some compression but one of my large servers has a 21GB mdf and a 12GB Backup File requiring 33GB for Auto Protect.

You can change the location of the backup but I will have to look that up for you if you think this is the issue.

Thanks

Thursday, May 31, 2012 10:33 AM
  • Thanks for the reply.  The combined size of the MDF and LDF files is only 6GB and I have 75GB free on the C drive so that shouldn't be the issue.

How would I check the VSS snapshot count?

Thanks

Alan

Thursday, May 31, 2012 10:44 AM
  • I found the following quote at http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff399401.aspx

"For application data sources, DPM can store up to 448 express full backups and up to 96 incremental backups for each express full backup."

Is this 448 Express Full limit per SQL Server, SQL Instance or Database?

Thanks

Alan

Friday, June 1, 2012 12:55 PM
  • Hi Alan,

It's 448 Recovery Point by protected Datasource.

In you case 448 Recovery Point per protected SQL database.

This Script will help you to see current Shadow Copy Provision on DPM 2010: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/dpmstorage/thread/8469b64a-88ee-4b70-ba95-73c283818bfd

Stéphane.

Friday, June 1, 2012 1:27 PM
  • Brilliant, thanks.  In that case as we are only doing 1 Express Full per day and keeping data for 28 days we should be well inside the limit. 

I have found one protected SQL server that is failing to Auto Protect a new database that has been added to it.  If I choose to Modify the Protection Group and expand the list of available databases available on that server I see the database name and it has been selected to be backed up but alongside the name it states "Yet to be Protected".  Several Express Fulls have run since the database was created but it still is "Yet to be Protected".  We are backing up 15 databases on theis particular SQL Server with 15 min syncs and daily recovery points.  The DPM server has less than 2000 snapshots on it and less than 200 volumes.  Any suggestions on what could be causing the failure to autoprotect?

Thanks

Alan

Friday, June 1, 2012 1:36 PM
  • Verify that your SQL Database is not in "Standby", "offline" or "restoring" state ?

Stéphane.

Friday, June 1, 2012 2:24 PM
  • Nope, all looks fine.
    Friday, June 1, 2012 3:09 PM