Exchange Recipient Limit RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

we want to limit the maximum count of recipients for mails send to internal recipients (recipients within the same exchange org). The Background is that we want to reduce the internal mail flow. No one should be allowed to send one mail to more than one colleague. On the other side it should be allowed to send a mail to more than one external recipient.

Is there a way to configure a transport rule that could achive this, or can i create a custom mail tip somehow to warn a user when he/she tries to send a mail to more than one colleague?

kind regards

Gottfried

Tuesday, June 4, 2013 12:12 PM

Answers

• Hi,

thank you for all your replies.

@Will

This sounds loke a solution for my problem. The only thing i don't know is the limit on the send connectors. I need to define a send connector with a recipient limit. I don't think, that this is possible. In imkottees link, only receive connectors can have a recipient limit.

@cara

Mailtips would also be ok. I read the article but i don't think, that this will work for me. I don't know how to define a mailtip that matches my scenario.

• Marked as answer by cara chen Tuesday, June 11, 2013 8:38 AM
    Wednesday, June 5, 2013 8:37 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Here you go.. 

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb310760(v=exchg.141).aspx

Kottees : My Blog : Please mark it as an answer if it really helps you.

Tuesday, June 4, 2013 12:17 PM
  • Gottfried,

You are going to need to put a size limit on the default send connectors and ensure they will only be used for internal traffic.  Then you will need to create send connectors for external traffic that don't have the limits on them.  This does beg the question - are you going to limit how many people external senders can send to?

Hope this helps ...

Will ...

Tuesday, June 4, 2013 12:36 PM
  • Hello,

The transport rule doesn't realize it. You can try to configure custom mailtips for recipients.

Here is the article for your reference.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd638199(v=exchg.141).aspx

Cara Chen
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, June 5, 2013 7:43 AM
  • Hi,

thank you for all your replies.

@Will

This sounds loke a solution for my problem. The only thing i don't know is the limit on the send connectors. I need to define a send connector with a recipient limit. I don't think, that this is possible. In imkottees link, only receive connectors can have a recipient limit.

@cara

Mailtips would also be ok. I read the article but i don't think, that this will work for me. I don't know how to define a mailtip that matches my scenario.

• Marked as answer by cara chen Tuesday, June 11, 2013 8:38 AM
    Wednesday, June 5, 2013 8:37 AM
  • you could use powershell command

Set-TransportConfig -MaxRecipientEnvelopeLimit 1000

--Cheers

Padman De Silva

Wednesday, June 5, 2013 8:51 AM
  • Gottfried, you are right - my answer is not going to work.  And using limits on receive connectors won't work since any one of them can be used to accept mail for internal or external delivery.  You may need to develop your own transport sync that counts recipients.
    Wednesday, June 5, 2013 11:49 AM