Document Created by office 2013 uploaded in SharePoint 2007 is not edited using office 2007 RRS feed

• Question

• My environment is sharepoint 2007 Farm. we are on the upgrade of Office 2013. 60% users have office 2013 and upgrading is still going on. The user upload a document created by office 2013 and upload in SharePoint 2007. Now this user shares the document to update with other users. the problem is if the users have office 2007 installed it throws the error

"This File could not be checke in because the original version of the file on the server was moved or deleted. A new version of this file has been saved to the server,but your check-in comments were not saved. To save comments..........."

or "This file could not be checked in because the original version of the file on the server was moved or deleted."

if the same document is edited using office 2013 there is no error.

The behaviour i see when editing document using office 2007 is that it will not save the lookup column value which we have used as a required to fill the metadata.

This is not happening to all documents currently it is happening to 3 documents out of 12 in that folder. I am not sure it this will be happening with other documents.

Thanks in advance.....

Regards, Aniket

Tuesday, October 15, 2013 5:33 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Check how they are saving the document. If they are saving it 97-2003 document format, then you will be able to open the document. 

Hope it helps.

Thanks Santhosh V

Tuesday, October 15, 2013 7:25 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for the reply

The document is created using office 2013 and the user in other region have office 2007 installed on the Machine. when they open the document to edit it , it doesn't save the Document information Panel Value(Look up column value in SharePoint) back in the document when saved to SharePoint. There is no question about the 97-2003 format... as we don't have it... They are opening document with office 2007 from SharePoint which was originally stored as office 2013 document.

Thanks

Regards, Aniket

Tuesday, October 15, 2013 10:59 PM
  • Hi Aniket,

I am trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue.

Thanks,
    Daniel Yang
    Forum Support
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com. 

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time.
    Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Thursday, October 17, 2013 3:39 AM
  • Hi Aniket,

please correct me if my understanding not correct,

there are documents that created from office 2013, and then you share at sharepoint 2007.

the users that using office 2007 may not able to process the documents that is created by office 2013, this means for example 3 of 10 documents that created by 2013 not able to be edit with the office 2007, but the rest 7 of 10 documents are ok.

this scenario is not applicable, if user already install 2013 office, or the documents are created/originally from office 2007.

if my understanding is correct, please help me to understand more:

1. the documents that being edit, was originally from office 2007, then edit to office 2013, then save at sharepoint?

2. the documents is a new document that created at office 2013?

3. please have a check if the documents are not in checked-out state.

please have a check this link:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2123563#appliesto

http://www.microsoftoffice2010forums.com/general-microsoft-office-2010-discussion/can039t-o

http://sharepointmadeeasy.blogspot.in/2009/06/cannot-perform-this-operation-file-is.html

Regards,
    Aries
    Microsoft Online Community Support

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thursday, October 17, 2013 7:36 AM
  • Hi Aries,

You have understood the question well.

as you ask three question:

1. the documents that being edit, was originally from office 2007, then edit to office 2013, then save at SharePoint?

This is the right scenario. It was originally in office 2007 then downloaded on desktop and edited using office 2013 and uploaded to SharePoint.

2. the documents is a new document that created at office 2013?

This scenario is not tested as issue is not yet happening by this scenario. The document was not created freshly from office 2013. the data inside document was updated using 2013 and uploaded in SharePoint 2007.

3. please have a check if the documents are not in checked-out state.

No this document is not in checked out state.

I have tried this solution already : 

http://sharepointmadeeasy.blogspot.in/2009/06/cannot-perform-this-operation-file-is.html

but it is of no use.

I tried KB and still no resolution Same issue is happening.

Regards, Aniket

• Edited by Aniket SPoint Friday, October 18, 2013 5:06 AM update with results
    Friday, October 18, 2013 2:30 AM
  • Hi Aniket,

regarding this issue, i checked some environment that using 2007, seems the issue not reproduceable in my labbox.

may i know your latest cumulative update for your office? i am using the SP3 at this moment, and seems its not reproduceable in my environment.

Regards,
    Aries

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, October 22, 2013 9:24 AM
  • Thanks for your effort .

My office 2007 is on SP2. with version 12.0.6683.50000.

Regards, Aniket

Thursday, October 24, 2013 4:18 AM
  • Hi Aniket,

perhaps you can try to update your office to the latest version,

as i know some of components in sharepoint based on the office component also, they should be integrated together.

Regards,
    Aries

Thursday, October 24, 2013 6:06 AM
  • Hi,

upgraded to the Office SP3 and still having the same issue.

Regards, Aniket

Monday, November 18, 2013 1:01 AM
  • Hi Aniket,

since the issue is not reproducible in our labbox,

perhaps you may need to open an incident ticket regarding this.

as we tried using multiple of environments and versions, seems the result in our test lab, is not the same with yours.

it may different, if we see in different side, for example, a document from 2007, and edit to 2013, while the edit process adding the 2013 feature, that is not supported by 2007, then the 2007, may not recognize the feature.

I read at some articles, this issue may happened on macro features. to make sure of this, perhaps you can set the compatibility to 2007 in the documents that already edit in 2013. and have a monitor of this.

if should the issue still appears, then I may need you to open an incident ticket to the office team, because by these documents should be able to be opened.

Regards,
    Aries

Monday, November 18, 2013 6:19 AM
  • Thanks Aries,

Appreciate your Help. i am not sure about opening the tickets.....but anyway thanks for your time and effort.

Regards, Aniket

Tuesday, November 19, 2013 2:29 AM