none
Microssoft Project does not calculate duration correctly RRS feed

• Question

• My colleague and I are both doing updates to the same msp project plan.  When I open the plan the duration is not the same as in his plan.  For example he has a 20 day duration task that starts on a Monday and ends on a Friday.  When I open the plan on my computer the duration is displayed as 20 days but it actually 17 days (starts on a Monday and ends on a Wednesday).  Since we are using the same plan, the 'options' for schedule (7 hours a day, 35 hours a week, 20 days per month) are all the same.  We suspect the difference is in the 'language settings' in windows.   I am windows 8, my colleague is on windows 7.  We are based in France using American English defaults.

Thursday, August 28, 2014 7:41 AM

All replies

• Are you both using the same version (Project 2010?  Project 2013?).  Do you both have the same service pack(s) installed?
    Thursday, August 28, 2014 9:39 AM
  • Kevin244,

Pardon me for bumping in but I think I know what's wrong.

One of you does not have everything set up properly. I can simulate your scenario by doing the following:

Project Start Date: 8/4/14

Project Calendar: Standard  (should be your custom 7 hour day calendar)

Schedule options definition of a day: 7 hours  (hours per week and days per month are basically irrelevant)

Two tasks A and B, both start on the Project Start Date and have a Duration of 20 days

Task A has a task calendar of "none" (i.e. follows the Standard calendar)

Task B has a task calendar of the custom 7 hour day calendar

Task A finish is 8/27/14  (Wednesday)

Task B finish is 8/29/14  (Friday)

Check to insure that all the above settings (i.e. Project Start Date, Project Calendar, Hours per day) are all the same. I think you'll find there is a difference.

John

Thursday, August 28, 2014 2:34 PM
  • Hi,

The one with the 17 days duration has a working time of 8 hrs/day. Duration EXPRESSED IN HOURS is the same for the two but the one with moe working hours finished early. Duration as shown in days is the same because you ahve the sameconversion factor in the Options.

Greetings,

Thursday, August 28, 2014 9:00 PM
  • Hi John,

I assumed Kevin was talking about the exact same project file showing different durations on two different machines.  So, the details of everything should be matching if they are transferring the same file from computer to computer.

Kevin - is it the same file or two different file?

Thursday, August 28, 2014 11:16 PM
  • Julie,

You're right, he did say it was the same file. I must have glossed over that detail.

However, the default hours/per day is one of the Global options stored in the registry. I wonder if one of the users has a 7 hour day and the other an 8 hour day as the registry default, maybe that is getting into the mix and messing up the project level setting.

John

Friday, August 29, 2014 3:23 AM
  • Could be - but although it is a registry setting - it is also stored in the file itself.  We'll see what Kevin says if/when he posts back.

Friday, August 29, 2014 2:51 PM