Email Data file problem RRS feed

• Question

• There are several users in my organization who tend to move around several different buildings. The problem i am having is their email accounts. Everyone here uses outlook for their email, and the outlook data files are stored on the server. When they try to access their email when logged in at multiple places, they are unable to anywhere except for the first place they logged in to. Is there anyway to allow them to access their email on every computer while still having it on the server?

Tuesday, October 25, 2011 4:30 PM

Answers

• Well you will have to look at if they are confgured to run the outlook client in "live" mode or cached mode, if you have a user with say a 3GB mailbox, and they log into 4 different machines with outlook, then your going to see all 3GB of mail cached on each machine.

Live mode will also take a hit with your network.

Do you have new Windows phones? blackberry's, iphones? enable mail for mobile users would cut out some of the mess you are in.

:P Advice offered, If you need more help it is advised to seek the council and advice of paid professionals. The answer is always 42, or reboot.
    • Marked as answer by Kevin Remde Sunday, October 30, 2011 4:10 PM
    Wednesday, October 26, 2011 7:23 PM

All replies

• You could show them the benifits of OWA, that way, all they need is a web broswer to check on emails, no lugging around stuff or overhead of storage for creating new outlook cached mail files.

:P Advice offered, If you need more help it is advised to seek the council and advice of paid professionals. The answer is always 42, or reboot.
    Tuesday, October 25, 2011 6:38 PM
  • i would love to use OWA, however my boss is a bit old school and would never use it. If i had my way, this organization would be a lot more efficient.
    Tuesday, October 25, 2011 7:46 PM
  • Well you will have to look at if they are confgured to run the outlook client in "live" mode or cached mode, if you have a user with say a 3GB mailbox, and they log into 4 different machines with outlook, then your going to see all 3GB of mail cached on each machine.

Live mode will also take a hit with your network.

Do you have new Windows phones? blackberry's, iphones? enable mail for mobile users would cut out some of the mess you are in.

• Marked as answer by Kevin Remde Sunday, October 30, 2011 4:10 PM
    Wednesday, October 26, 2011 7:23 PM