none
Deploying windows Updates - bandwith issue

Question

• Hi all

We are managing windows update with WSUS. Microsoft now deploys really big update ( > 1 GB)

We have 30 branches in whole Belgium with a bandwith of 2 to 8 MB.

Last week, when the updates were downloaded, it takes a big part of the bandwith to update. Qos is installed and should manage that but it seems not ...

I have 2 questions

1. There is an option in win10 to use the other computers on the LAN to update other computers on my network. Is this working ? Any experience to share ? What must be done on the server / computer? Is there a GPO to manage this? 

2. If we can use option 1, is this still working with WSUS or does only WSUS manage the updates ?

Our organization uses windows 10 PRO and windows server 2012.

Thanks for your answers !

Friday, April 21, 2017 8:31 AM

All replies

• Dear Vince,

I know you mean Windows Update Delivery Optimization function, yes, it works when we turn it on.

But one thing please understand, even though this function can send updates and apps from your PC to other PCs on your local network or PCs on the Internet, it still needs Internet connection.

We can use GPO to manage this function, we will find the Delivery Optimization settings in Group Policy under

Configuration\Policies\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Delivery Optimization

Check this article for more information.

Configure Delivery Optimization for Windows 10 updates

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/itpro/windows/update/waas-delivery-optimization

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, April 24, 2017 1:41 AM
  • Hi moderator

Thanks for the answer.

Ok, and even when WSUS is active on the network, it will use other computers to update my lan?

For example :  

In our AD, Wsus is on lan 10.1.2.x (In Brussels) and branch is on 10.1.63.x (In Antwerp) with a 2MB line. 

WSUS will update 1 PC in Antwerp (10.1.63.10) via the 2MB line and all clients in Antwerp (10.1.63.x) will use 10.1.63.10 to update ? That should be great but ...

I think WSUS will update all the computers one by one.

Am i right ?

Monday, April 24, 2017 8:28 AM
  • >>WSUS will update 1 PC in Antwerp (10.1.63.10) via the 2MB line and all clients in Antwerp (10.1.63.x) will use 10.1.63.10 to update ?

Yes, you are right.

Clients will ask for updates from one clients which has updated from WSUS, but, since all clients are managed by WSUS server, they will still get updates from WSUS server, it’s not conflicting that one client get updates from WSUS and other client at the same time.

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, April 24, 2017 8:39 AM