Outlook autocomplete problems after migrating from on premises Exchange to Office 365 hosted. RRS feed

• Question

• I have a client who was using Outlook 2013 with an on-premises Exchange 2007 server.  I migrated this office to a hosted Office 365 Exchange.  After the migration, one of the users with Outlook 2013 had problems with his autocomplete addresses.  When he would send to some address, but not all, his Outlook would lock and go white.  The only way out was to do an end task on outlook.exe and the message would be gone and not sent.  I have had this problem before with internal addresses and I had the user delete the cached entry and re-create the entry and the problem would go away for the internal users.  However, the problem continued even for external addresses.  To troubleshoot, I created a new .ost file.  This is an HP laptop and I found some HP add-ins loading in Outlook which I've disabled.  I made sure all Windows 10 updates and Office updates were installed.  I then uninstalled Office 2013 and installed Office 2016 which appeared to me to create a new .ost when it opened.  Now, with Outlook 2016 and some autocomplete outside email addresses user gets error "The operation failed" instead of the white locked Outlook from before.  

Any ideas on a fix for this?  Any idea why there were no problems until I migrated user to Office 365?  The migration process I used was to create a new Outlook profile which imported in user's data which had previously been uploaded to Office 365 using a migration job.  I think the autocomplete file from the old Exchange 2007 profile is still on the computer.  

Tuesday, November 14, 2017 5:58 PM

All replies

• Hi,

You may try to clear the local cache file of the autocomplete entry and let Outlook create a new one and then see whether this issue continues. To do this, please follow:

1. Exit Outlook.

2. Go to drive:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\RoamCache.

3. Find a file named Stream_Autocomplete_0_[long GUID].dat, and rename it to Stream_Autocomplete_0_[long GUID].dat.old.

4. Start Outlook and see whether this issue continues.

If the issue still continues, you will have to clear the user's autocomplete cache and see the result. To do this, try starting Outlook with the outlook /cleanautocompletecache switch. Press Win key + R to open the Run command, type outlook /cleanautocompletecache and press Enter.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Steve Fan Tuesday, November 21, 2017 9:38 AM
    Wednesday, November 15, 2017 6:45 AM
  • Hello,

How is everything going now?

Regards,

Steve Fan

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, November 21, 2017 9:38 AM
  • Thanks for the follow up Steve Fan.  I deleted the autocomplete file and had it re-create itself, but the problems still remained.  I used an nk2edit program to clear out all of the contacts that still had paths pointing to the old exchange server, but the user continued to have some problems after doing that.  I know that emptying out the autocomplete file and starting over would be a fix, but that isn't realistic as this user has the maximum of 1000 entries in the file.  As of now the user is just dealing with the problem as best he can.

The question I have on this situation is why this happened to one user only.  I have an office of 30 email accounts working fine with on-prem Exchange.  I migrate the office to Office 365 hosted and I go in and change all Outlook profiles at one time.  29 of the 30 users have virtually no problems other than a few of the cache entries pointing to inter-office contacts that needed to be deleted and re-created.  However, this one user started having Outlook crashes when using many, but not all, of his autocomplete addresses.  These crashes occurred on both inter-office contacts and external contacts.  What are some unique things about this user?  It is an HP laptop that had some HP bloatware security programs as add-ins to Outlook.  I had no other HP laptops on this network.  It had Outlook 2010 that was at a low patch level.  He was one of three Windows 10 computers on the network and it had not been installing any patches for well over a year.  I discovered that my WSUS server was not serving out Windows 10 patches. 

Thanks, Joe

• Edited by MoJoe1965 Tuesday, November 21, 2017 2:44 PM
    Tuesday, November 21, 2017 2:43 PM
  • Thank you for the update. For Outlook 2013, the auto-complete caches are stored in mailbox. If the data was corrupted during or before migration, I'm afraid we have to clear the auto-complete data and create it from scratch. However, before this last choice, please also try manually delete one of the problematic external auto-complete entries and then create it again to see whether this issue continues.

Besides, we can also try set up the mailbox on another computer and see whether you see the same result.

Regards,

Steve Fan

Wednesday, November 22, 2017 7:24 AM
  • Hi Joe,

Any luck on this issue now?

Regards,

Steve Fan

Friday, November 24, 2017 2:33 AM