none
Should I disable 6to4 or dynamic updates ? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

In Windows 2012 R2 ( provides DHCP and DNS ).

I recently started to have ipv4 records of Windows 7 workstations disappearing in my DNS server.

I notice that only ipv6 record stay, while associated ipv4 records gets deleted shortly after.

I have DNS server settings set to always "dynamically update DNS records" + "discard A and PRT records.." + DNS credential + dnsupdateproxy group

I was able to resolve issues by disabling 6to4 on some existing workstations.. This appears to related to

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2782438/-a-record-gets-deleted-when-aaaa-record-gets-registered

Client deletes its A record when the client dynamically updates the AAAA record that also includes an A record update with TTL=0, this happens if DHCP option 81 set by DHCP server

I understand that 6to4 is something very standard on windows, so I'm not sure why I have to disable 6to4 on any new machine I'm adding to my domain.

I understand also that in my setup, DHCP server always update records on behalf of Client, so they shouldn't need to do dynamic updates.. ( https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc959284.aspx )

=> should I still disable 6to4 on all machine by gpo ?

or

=> should I disably dns dynamic update on all machine by gpo ?

thanks

francois

Tuesday, August 15, 2017 4:25 PM

All replies

• Hi,

6to4 is an Internet transition mechanism for migrating from Internet Protocol version 4 (IPv4) to version 6 (IPv6), a system that allows IPv6 packets to be transmitted over an IPv4 network (generally the IPv4 Internet) without the need to configure explicit tunnels.

>> should I still disable 6to4 on all machine by gpo ?

Yes,if you don't have ipv6 production environment.

> >should I disably dns dynamic update on all machine by gpo ?

No, dns dynamic update is a system that addresses the problem of rapid updates.

Best Regards,

Frank

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, August 16, 2017 7:59 AM
  • but dns updates are handled by the DHCP server
    Wednesday, August 16, 2017 9:54 AM