none
Summary tasks and cash flow report RRS feed

• Question

• We have Project Professional 2010 and have various tasks and summary tasks. The "Cost" from each of the subtasks rolls up nicely in the task or GANTT view.

However, when I go to Reports -> Costs... -> Cash Flow, the summary tasks don't include the cost totals. Also, not all of the sub tasks show up.

Is there a better way to see the overall picture of our predicted cash flow? Thanks.

Wednesday, July 27, 2011 1:19 PM

Answers

• In default Reports, it shows Week-wise break per task so don't roll up at Summary Level, try using Visual Reports, they have Total Cost for every Summary Tasks at the bottom of that phase. Visual Reports -> Cash Flow Reports.
    Sapna S
    • Marked as answer by bgreen_sp2010 Thursday, July 28, 2011 11:58 AM
    Wednesday, July 27, 2011 2:19 PM
  • Thanks to Sapna for pointing me in the right direction, it seems to work with the following steps:

If I go to the Visual Reports dialog, but click on Save Data... rather than one of the reports, I can save an OLAP cube. In Excel I can then insert a PivotTable and connect to that cube. Now everything works exactly how I had hoped it would, I can expand and collapse the subtasks, totals show up, etc.

Thursday, July 28, 2011 11:58 AM

All replies

• In default Reports, it shows Week-wise break per task so don't roll up at Summary Level, try using Visual Reports, they have Total Cost for every Summary Tasks at the bottom of that phase. Visual Reports -> Cash Flow Reports.
    Sapna S
    Wednesday, July 27, 2011 2:19 PM
  • Thank you Sapna for your help, this was a step in the right direction. I am able to create a Visual Report -> Cash Flow Report, and I can go to the Task Usage tab in the resulting Excel book and see the total cost. I can even filter which tasks to include, and they sum up perfectly. However, I only ever get one line, called "Total". How can I get the PivotTable to break out the individual tasks?

What I want is to have a line for the cost of each task, plus a total for each summary task. So if I spend $100 for an architect and $50 for an engineer in month 1 and $50 for the architect in month 2, I want to see a line for architects with $100 and then $50 and a line for engineers with $50 and then $0. Finally, I want a summary line for planning that showed $150 then $50. In the Gantt Chart view in Project, it does the summing up right, but it doesn't have the time component, which is what I wanted from the Cash Flow report. Thanks for your help.

Thursday, July 28, 2011 4:19 AM
  • Thanks to Sapna for pointing me in the right direction, it seems to work with the following steps:

If I go to the Visual Reports dialog, but click on Save Data... rather than one of the reports, I can save an OLAP cube. In Excel I can then insert a PivotTable and connect to that cube. Now everything works exactly how I had hoped it would, I can expand and collapse the subtasks, totals show up, etc.

Thursday, July 28, 2011 11:58 AM