none
Windows server hosts file RRS feed

• Question

1. This is an IT issue and NOT a programming issue.

2. Please forgive me if I have posted to the wrong forum. This seemed appropriate, LMK if I should post elsewhere

3. Please!!! if you are wet behind the ears newbie, read and move along. Please DO NOT suggest nonsensical cut and paste try this and try that solution to get points.

We have an application designed in .net. The application is in two parts a LOCAL website that is within the LAN and a public website that is external to the LAN. User updates information in the local website/application, then runs an SQL stored procedure to update the website.

The trigger to run the update process is fired from the local server, which then executes a task from the web server to run the SQL stored process from the local server. While somewhat anal, there is a legitimate (perhaps lazy shortcut; explanation for it) but is irrelevant to this discussion.

The application and website has been going through many iterations for about 20 years from Cold Fusion to ASP to currently ASP.NET.

At some point in its life cycle, we realized that we needed to maintain host files on both servers as SQL procedures needed to address Hostname as opposed to Hostname.Domainname.extension.  i.e. FQDNS.

Not sure if it is still required, but we continued the practice (Lazy I guess).

On Jan 23 rd 2018, the procedure to update the website stopped working. We finally realized that the problem was that the host file on the web server was not updated to reflect the new IP address of the local server. We fixed the host file on the web server and all is hunky dory.

However:

The IP address of the local server was changed on April 18th2017. (No IF ANDS OR BUTS)

The local server was last rebooted 2.7 months (30 days each month), ago and the web server was rebooted 7.73 months (30 days each month).

Why did the issue not surface till Jan 23<sup>rd</sup> 2018?

• Edited by Lansend Tuesday, January 30, 2018 3:01 AM
    Tuesday, January 30, 2018 2:59 AM

All replies

• Hi ,

Since we are network team and not familiar with website configuration, I suspect we’ve deployed two website using web server, in normal task we use local server to update website config, this config info then stored in SQL, web server connect to SQL store to obtain updated config info regularly as schedule, am I right?

If so, based on my personal analysis, our environment seems like: Local tigger update---push---> SQL store<-----obtain----Web show update, in this topology, local server and web server shouldn’t have direct connection, there might be other issues occurred or some “actions” being triggered to call hosts file in 1/23/2018, and then found that the corresponding IP was unreachable. After we correct the IP address, “actions” resumed working.

Best Regards,

Candy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, January 31, 2018 9:01 AM
  • Hi ,

Just want to confirm the current situations.

Please feel free to let us know if you need further assistance.                   

Best Regards,

Candy

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, February 1, 2018 6:44 AM
  • Hi ,

Did you have any updates?

Best Regards,

Candy

Friday, February 2, 2018 9:54 AM