Black screen with cursor after logging on to VISTA ****PROBLEM SOLVED**** RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi to all

I had this problem for a couple of days now and finally sorted it for good. I read a few threads pointing the problem to their nVIDIA or ATI drivers or even their hardware... well i tried it all and none helped. The way around the problem was to press the CTRL + ALT + DELETE, fire up the task manager and launch the explorer.exe and that's how you would get your desktop, but that is not a solution.

Right, here we go:

I downloaded the latest version of Spyware Doctor + Antvirus edition (which i purchased) and ran a full scan and Guess what? i had a few viruses calling themselves taskmgr.exe (located in "Users" folder), Screen svr.scr (located in the "Windows" folder) and some registry entries associated with those files. Once removed from the system i no longer see a black screen with white cursor, i get to see my desktop almost immediately after logging on!

I hope this is helpful

Friday, December 28, 2007 11:23 AM

All replies

• My son experienced the same issue.  His laptop (Vista ULTI) was infected with the Trojan Horse Generic10.UWU.  He was alerted by suspicious activity on his USB.  He stripped out the original anti virus suite and installed another which found the problem.  The virus had altered the

HKLM\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

entry from c:\windows\system32\userinit.exe to it's own version of userinit.exe located in c:\windows.  As the anti virus software had deleted the virus version of userinit.exe, the desktop interface (explorer.exe) was not initialised.  Correcting the path fixed the problem.

Thursday, May 22, 2008 10:00 AM