From Notes to Exchange 2007 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I have to migrate from my Domino5 to Exchange 2007 SP1. I have 2000 users and i have configured two servers mailboxes anb two servers with roles CAS,HUB and TRANSPORT. I have bought Notes Migrator for Exchange, but I have to create mail enabled contacts. How can I create them ? Transport Suite for Domino ???

Another question, I have to maintain some time of coexistence but does not matter if exchange users cannot see calendars, book... of lotus users and viceversa, so do I need to install any connector?

thanks in advanced !!

edgee
    Friday, January 9, 2009 8:58 AM

Answers

• 1. Yes you use the Transporter Suite to sync directories, QNM doesn't have this functionality.
    2. When you have a pure Exchange207 environment you wish to migrate to, you use SMTP connectors for mail co-existence.
    3. Yes you create Mail-enabled contacts in AD using the Transporter Suite, and then merge these with the AD user accounts using the Quest Notes Migrator.

Henrik Walther Exchange MVP | MCM: E2K7 | MCITP: EMA/EA | MCSE: M+S - MSExchange.org
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 10:27 AM

All replies

• Hi edgee,

Quest Notes Migrator uses the Transporter Suite for co-existence (free/busy and GAL provisioning) between Domino and Exchange. In order to provision a GAL containing the Domino/Notes users in the Exchange 2007 environment, you must replicate the Domino/Notes users to AD as contact objects using the Transporter Suite.

you must also set up SMTP connectors between the environments, so that mail can flow both ways.

Henrik Walther Exchange MVP | MCM: E2K7 | MCITP: EMA/EA | MCSE: M+S - MSExchange.org
    • Proposed as answer by Amit Tank Friday, January 9, 2009 3:15 PM
    Friday, January 9, 2009 10:45 AM
  • Hi Edgee,

Addition to Henrik response, you can refer below set of articles for Lotus to Exchange 2007 migration.

Migrating from Domino to Exchange 2007 (Part 1)

Amit Tank | MVP - Exchange | MCITP:EMA MCSA:M | http://ExchangeShare.WordPress.com
    Friday, January 9, 2009 3:15 PM
  • Hi Amit ,

Thanks for your response but I am still not understanding the following questions:

- Can I syncronize directorys Lotus Domino5 and Exchange 2007 with Transport Suite. If not, which tool do I have to use ? Exchange conector ??
    - Wich is the easiest way for routing mails between the two systems ? SMTP or connector?
    - All users have already a user in AD. Do I have to creat mail enbled contacts ? With Transport Suite ?

Thanks and sorry fore my ignorance...
    eedge
    edgee
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 10:06 AM
  • 1. Yes you use the Transporter Suite to sync directories, QNM doesn't have this functionality.
    2. When you have a pure Exchange207 environment you wish to migrate to, you use SMTP connectors for mail co-existence.
    3. Yes you create Mail-enabled contacts in AD using the Transporter Suite, and then merge these with the AD user accounts using the Quest Notes Migrator.

Tuesday, January 13, 2009 10:27 AM
  • Ok Henrik...thanks so much for your response.

I am going to test in my lab and I will tell you the results.

Thanks so much again !

edgee
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 10:32 AM
  • You're welcome edgee :)

Tuesday, January 13, 2009 10:35 AM
  •  Hi Henrik,

I have set up my lab and I have configured my transport suite for syncronization between my Domino Server 5 to my Exchange 2007. But when I tried to sync it says that was succesfull but I have no results and no contact created in my OU.

- I have installed client notes and it is running with administrator account
    - I have raised logging level to high
    - I have tried to change account service for running Transport suite with no success.

Can anyone help me ?
    Thanks again!
    edgee
    Wednesday, January 21, 2009 5:09 PM
  • Hello  Edgee,

Can you check to see if the computer account (computer account of the machine where you are hosting the transport suite) has write permissions on the OU where the cntacts are to be created. If not open the properties of the OU, go to security tab and add the computer account with write permissions.

Let us know if this solves the issue...!!!

Thanks,

Sriram

Thursday, January 22, 2009 8:34 AM
  • Yes that sounds like the issue...

Thursday, January 22, 2009 9:58 AM
  • Hi Sriam,

I have insert my exchange server account (where I have transport suite installed) with adsiedit and I have no results. It does not populate anything. I have seen one warning in event viewer.

It says: Subtask dxa generated an error log file C:\Program Files\Microsoft Transporte Tools\bin\TEMP\b2xxxx.tmp .

This temp file says : System.Exception: The password handler could not be registered with 'C:\Program Files\lotus\notes\notes.ini'

Any idea?
    Tahnks again.

edgee
    Thursday, January 22, 2009 10:06 AM
  • Try these steps....

Open active directory users and computers snap in on your DC or exchange server

Right click on the OU where the contacts are to be created
    Go to security tab and click add
    add the computer account and resolve it ( it will get resolved to $computername)
    add it with write permissions

Ruun the full sync again and check it....

let us know the result...

Thanks,
    Sriram
    Thursday, January 22, 2009 10:14 AM
  • There is no security tab...only appears the following: General, Managed By, COM+ and Group Policy that's way I have used adsiedit.

Thanks

edgee
    Thursday, January 22, 2009 12:16 PM
  • You need to select Advance Features under View in the menu when you're in the ADUC console.

Thursday, January 22, 2009 12:20 PM
  • Perfect Henrik!! thanks... but I still no having any contact in my OU.

edgee
    Thursday, January 22, 2009 2:30 PM
  • also, can you try verifying the permissions for the notes ID file ( used by the transport suite) on names.nsf database on the domino server. it should have read permissions there.

If the perms are OK....make sure that the directory connector in TS is configured with correect database name (names.nsf) and domino gateway server name.

Friday, January 23, 2009 12:44 PM
  • Hi Siriam,

I have checked permissions for the notes id files (going to my domino server > checking names.nsf and adding the user I have configured in TS to sync, my user is the domino Administrator). Were you referring to this procedure?

Besides I have checked all configuration in my Domino Connector and it is ok.

Any ideas?

Thanks again for all.

PD: I am still having the error in event viewer -->  Subtask dxa generated an error log file C:\Program Files\Microsoft Transporte Tools\bin\TEMP\b2xxxx.tmp .

This temp file says : System.Exception: The password handler could not be registered with 'C:\Program Files\lotus\notes\notes.ini'

edgee
    Tuesday, January 27, 2009 10:36 AM
  • Solved!!!!

At least i found this article....

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/948213/en-us

Notes.ini path was empty !!!!

Thanks to all !!
    eedge
    edgee
    Friday, February 6, 2009 1:14 PM