Random freezes on Windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• I've had this computer for over 3 weeks now but in the past 2 days, windows 7 has been randomly locking up, or "freezing".. Its just stops completely, i cant move the mouse or do anything BUT force a reboot... It happens most when im in game but can also happen when im online.. I have updated all drivers, re-installed video card drivers, checked temperatures, tested ram and it still does it..

CAN ANYONE HELP ME???? Or should i wait for SP1

Currently running:

Core - i7-950

MOBO MSI X58-Pro-E

6gb Kingston 1600

ATI Radeon HD 6870

700W Coolermaster PSU

Win7 Pro 64bit

Seagate SATA2 500G

Many thanks

Thursday, February 10, 2011 1:14 PM

Answers

• Sooo i eventually got fed up with it freezing all the time and paid a technician to come out and diagnose the problem for me.. An after $$$$$$ discovered my motherboard was at fault.. Rip that one out and put a new one in and been flawless

Sorry this doesnt help with "Windows freezes" i guess it was just dodgy motherboard... xf1xcaliber  if youve got the MSI X58 Pro-E motheboard, id rip it out and take it back, apparently its not that relaiable

Thanks to everyone for all their help!

• Marked as answer by ProtoType47 Thursday, February 17, 2011 11:37 AM
    Thursday, February 17, 2011 11:37 AM

All replies

• Press the CAPS LOCK key on your keyboard. Does it change the light on your keyboard? If not, the hardware is hanging. If it changes, you have a software freeze. You can now do a Clean boot to see which software causes the freeze:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    Thursday, February 10, 2011 1:46 PM
  • Okay so the light didnt appear on my last freeze so its a hardware issue... Ive done multiple RAM tests with different programs and everything has come back clean. My temperatures are normal, however Aux Voltage is very low as seen here: http://img602.imageshack.us/i/hardware.png/  Faulty PSU?? This is the only thing i can find that MAY be a cause...

Friday, February 11, 2011 1:55 AM
  • mine does the same thing. almost the same set up.except 6950 ati graphics 2 gig memory card so ill look for the same answer
    Saturday, February 12, 2011 5:41 PM
  • That seems the problem related with your hardware, you’d better contact the hardware manufacturer for further help.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, February 14, 2011 2:30 AM
  • But who?? If i knew which part was failing then i could at least do something, but i have NO idea what it is.. I dont/ shouldnt have to replace the PSU if its not that, i have to re-install Windows for new RAM (along with everything else), and i doubt its the Processor...
    Monday, February 14, 2011 8:31 AM
  • You can perform a Device Clean Boot to troubleshoot which hardware cause the issue, follow these steps below:

=================

1. Click Start, type "devmgmt.msc" (without quotation marks) in the Search bar and press Enter.

2. Expand "Sound, video and game controllers".

3. Right click on your sound card and then click "Properties.

4. In the dropdown menu of Device Usage, please choose "Do not use this device (disable)" and click OK.

5. Please use the same method to disable other dubious hardware such as: internal modem, network card and CD-R drive. Please note some devices such as video adapter are not available to be disabled.

Then enable one by one to determine which hardware cause the issue

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, February 14, 2011 8:47 AM
  • Sooo i eventually got fed up with it freezing all the time and paid a technician to come out and diagnose the problem for me.. An after $$$$$$ discovered my motherboard was at fault.. Rip that one out and put a new one in and been flawless

Sorry this doesnt help with "Windows freezes" i guess it was just dodgy motherboard... xf1xcaliber  if youve got the MSI X58 Pro-E motheboard, id rip it out and take it back, apparently its not that relaiable

Thanks to everyone for all their help!

• Marked as answer by ProtoType47 Thursday, February 17, 2011 11:37 AM
    Thursday, February 17, 2011 11:37 AM
  • thanks for your feedback.
    "A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    Thursday, February 17, 2011 1:56 PM