APP-V Sequenced Application to see MED-V application RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys,

Can you please tell me if it is possible at all to make an APP-V sequenced application "see" an application on MED-V?

Background: My client is busy gestting the applications ready fo the Windows 7 migration. I have an application with a dependency app. The dependency application has been developed "in-house". The primary application works on Windows 7 but the dependency application does not. The primary application has been sequenced with APP-V 4.6.

If I run the dependency application with MED-V, is there any way I can modify the APP-V sequenced application's osd to make it "see" the MED-V app?

Thanks

JJ

Thursday, August 12, 2010 8:38 AM

Answers

• Running applications via MED-V is similar to use Remote Desktop Services or Citrix XenApp - the application is not running locally but is presented from the remote machine (in this case a VM running in MED-V, which is running locally but the effect is the same), this means that the application is separated from the local operating system, so the answer would be no, regardless of whether the local application is installed or delivered by App-V.
    Thursday, August 12, 2010 8:47 AM

All replies

• Running applications via MED-V is similar to use Remote Desktop Services or Citrix XenApp - the application is not running locally but is presented from the remote machine (in this case a VM running in MED-V, which is running locally but the effect is the same), this means that the application is separated from the local operating system, so the answer would be no, regardless of whether the local application is installed or delivered by App-V.
    Thursday, August 12, 2010 8:47 AM
  • Thank you.
    Thursday, August 12, 2010 8:55 AM
  • You could always run the App-V client with the application inside the MED-V workspace and publish it and the legacy application out to the host desktop.
    Friday, August 20, 2010 11:30 PM
  • Steve,

Could you present some more details on your remark "You could always run the App-V client with the application inside the MED-V workspace and publish it and the legacy application out to the host desktop".

Do you mean that the App-V application would be installed within the workspace or delivered to the workspace? When I install the App-V client within the workspace would I not run in problems like permissions, user group membership etc?

I am very much interested in this part of MED-V as I am just starting to use it.

Fred

Thursday, January 6, 2011 12:25 PM
  • The App-V client can always be installed on the virtual machine managed by MED-V, so you are just using App-V to deliver the applications handled by MED-V workspace.

Just like a desktop machine, you will need to ensure publishing and streaming applications works (e.g. an App-V Management Server, SCCM or 3rd party ESD).

You will have two sets of permissions to consider - App-V publishing permissions (assuming the native Management Server is used) and MED-V permissions; however if you are using user groups, I presume that you would use the same groups in both.

Thursday, January 6, 2011 2:19 PM