Extremely slow Sharepoint 2007 site RRS feed

• Question

• Hello , I have a pubic facing Sharepoint 2007 website which contains a document site with around a 1000 documents. All other sites within the website load fine but the document library site and any links to the document library site from the home page are extremely slow and often time out - at my wits end to know why this happens -anybody got any ideas of what I could do to investigate?

regards

kegan1
    Wednesday, August 3, 2011 10:36 AM

Answers

• Try narrow down to the issue. I am assuming the culprit could be the view itself. As you said, this document library has 4-5 views. Try accessing the direct links for the individual views and see which view is been timed out/slow loading. If you find a particular view has an issue with slow loading, then try deleting the view and creating a new one and set this as Default view.

I had a slow loading problem with my sub site a while ago. After upgrading to SP2 fix the issue. If you are not already on SP2, try upgrading the farm and see the performance.

Mohammed Hussain
    • Marked as answer by Emir Liu Friday, August 12, 2011 10:18 AM
    Friday, August 5, 2011 6:47 AM
  • Hi,

How many items will show up when you open the link on the homepage that redirect to the dilldown web part ? About 1000 documents all show up there ?If so ,the page will loads extremely slow since it has so many items to show at a time .I suggest you try Rashu,Rahul and Soumyadev’s suggestion to segregate the items into different folders .

Thanks,

Entan Ming
    Friday, August 5, 2011 7:15 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Ensure that the document library does not have too many columns added to the default view (specially calculated columns). Also use column indexing (in document library settings) on the columns that are used frequently.

Thanks,

Dip
    MCTS: MOSS 2007 Administration
    MCAD, MCSD
    My blog: http://dzeee.net/sharepoint
    Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, August 3, 2011 12:49 PM
  • Hi - thanks for suggestions

Tried indexing and modifying views to no avail.

I have about 1800 docs in the library, document slimited to 100 per view, 4 or 5 different views in the list, with only 1 0r 2 columns showing.

If I send a direct external link to someone of the document it's fine and no speed issue, it's justt the main link that I have on my homepage to the categorys's of the document library is constantly timing out or at the least very slow.

regards

kegan1
    Wednesday, August 3, 2011 3:23 PM
  • Hi,

Refer this:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc262813(office.12).aspx

I hope this will help you out.

Thanks,

Rahul Rashu

Wednesday, August 3, 2011 7:35 PM
  • This is definetly a large list, best way to handle large number of items in document library is to segregate contents into different folders.

Also can you confirm if you have any customization on the view pages? By link to category of document library, do you mean a specific view?

What webpart are you using to display the library items?

Is it also taking time to load document library/ view when you directly go to that link?

Wednesday, August 3, 2011 10:58 PM
  • I'm not sure how to segragate into folders, I see a 'new folder' option under the 'New Menu'. I have about 3 different views in the list that segragate documents into calendar years  and date they were created - this is for back end user use only though and not a public facing view.

The link from my homepage leads to a content page with drilldown webpart that has category and year options to view the documents - this is the link that has the speed issue. If I eventually get to a specific document template page where you can view or download the document and send the link to someone - there is no speed issue in accessing that particular documents link to view or download.

Not sure if i'm making sense?

regards

kegan1
    Thursday, August 4, 2011 9:19 AM
  • Hi,

Follow these steps:

1. Open the document library in explorer view.

2. Right click and go for New--> Folders

3. Cut your files and paste them in these folders.

Please let me know if still it is not clear to you.

Thanks,

Rahul Rashu

Thursday, August 4, 2011 9:27 AM
  • Kegan,

What version of SP 2007 you are running on? Can you please check the default view for the document library in question, whether it has any Datetime column configured as GroupBy. If so, try removing the Datetime column from the view and see the performace.

Mohammed Hussain
    Thursday, August 4, 2011 11:01 AM
  • Hi - nope, no datetime column configured as GroupBy in default view

regards

kegan1
    Thursday, August 4, 2011 12:53 PM
  • Try narrow down to the issue. I am assuming the culprit could be the view itself. As you said, this document library has 4-5 views. Try accessing the direct links for the individual views and see which view is been timed out/slow loading. If you find a particular view has an issue with slow loading, then try deleting the view and creating a new one and set this as Default view.

I had a slow loading problem with my sub site a while ago. After upgrading to SP2 fix the issue. If you are not already on SP2, try upgrading the farm and see the performance.

Mohammed Hussain
    Friday, August 5, 2011 6:47 AM
  • Hi,

How many items will show up when you open the link on the homepage that redirect to the dilldown web part ? About 1000 documents all show up there ?If so ,the page will loads extremely slow since it has so many items to show at a time .I suggest you try Rashu,Rahul and Soumyadev’s suggestion to segregate the items into different folders .

Thanks,

Entan Ming
    Friday, August 5, 2011 7:15 AM