none
Team resource "generic / specific"? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

I recently dove into the dynamics of team resources in Project Online, but found out I need some best practices advice. Here's where things get tricky:

On the creation of a Team resource there is a text stating:

"The Team Assignment Pool check box is selected for the team resource, used when assigning tasks to the team. Often a generic resource will be used with the assignment owner field set as the team manager."

Now that isn't possible! because Generic resources do not have a assignment owner field available... So I Binged my way to this post: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/projectserver/en-US/41d58c08-4004-447d-b175-1511eed7a30f/how-do-i-include-generic-team-assignment-pool-resources-in-the-capacity-planning-view?forum=projectonline

Here Treb gives the advice to use a NON generic resource for the team pool. Now I have the issue with an error I get when I want to save the specific team resource:

"Enter the user logon account or deselect the "resource can logon to Project Web App" option"

But there is no such option on the page, and deny settings on "Log on" in the Global Permissions doesn't do the trick.

How do I create a specific Team pool resource with an assignment owner without having to create a log on account (and needing a license for that account)?

Any best practices on Team assignments and team resources would be great :). Thanks guys!

Monday, December 28, 2015 9:20 AM

Answers

• Hi Erik,

sorry, I can't follow. What I am doing is:

• Not select "Generic"
    • Not select "Associate resource with a user account"
    • Set Default Assignment Owner
    • Select "Team Assignment Pool" and a Team name.

It is working fine for me. Did you ctreate the resource from scratch or are you trying to edit an existing one? Some settings cannont be changed afterwards (like "Associate resource with a user account")

Regards
    Barbara

To increase the value of this forum, please mark the replies that helped to solve your issue as answer. If you find answers to questions from other forum participants to be helpful, please mark them as helpful. Your participation will help others to find an appropriate solution faster. Thanks for your support!

Monday, December 28, 2015 10:09 AM

All replies

• Hi Erik,

sorry, I can't follow. What I am doing is:

• Not select "Generic"
    • Not select "Associate resource with a user account"
    • Set Default Assignment Owner
    • Select "Team Assignment Pool" and a Team name.

It is working fine for me. Did you ctreate the resource from scratch or are you trying to edit an existing one? Some settings cannont be changed afterwards (like "Associate resource with a user account")

Regards
    Barbara

To increase the value of this forum, please mark the replies that helped to solve your issue as answer. If you find answers to questions from other forum participants to be helpful, please mark them as helpful. Your participation will help others to find an appropriate solution faster. Thanks for your support!

Monday, December 28, 2015 10:09 AM
  • Ha Barbara,

That's a nice trick!

I now assume Microsoft ment "Associate resource with a user account" when they wrote "resource can logon to Project Web App" in the error message. This seems to work correctly on my environment as well.

Sometimes the answer is right there in front of you, have a wonderful last few 2015 days, hope to chat in 2016!

Kind regards,

Erik

Monday, December 28, 2015 10:43 AM