Data entry through scripting RRS feed

• Question

• The company I work for recently a week-long outage of a ticket system that resulted in a lot of wasted time and energy to recover the backlog of tickets. I have been tasked with implementing a system to allow the backlog to be dealt with more easily than our technicians writing their tickets in notepad during an outage and then copying them over when the system comes back up.

At a minimum I am expected to implement a means of creating temporary tickets and saving them until the system comes back online. Having a temporary ticket system with all of the same fields and information as the normal system would allow any user to input any other user's tickets, speeding up the process. That in itself isn't a huge challenge, it could be accomplished with Microsoft Access in a few hours. However, my ultimate goal at this point is to automate the input process once the system comes back up I'd like the user interaction to be as minimal as possible.

My first ideas concerning this were command line prompts into the ticket system. Unfortunately, due to the nature of our contract, I can't get or give users access to the back end of the ticket system, nor can any other software or drivers onto machines; so my options are vastly limited as far as how I can approach this. Being unable to access the back-end of the ticket system, the only thing that immediately springs to mind is to setup a basic macro to run which copies and pastes information from the script GUI into the ticket system. I'm just having trouble finding any means of doing this. PowerShell seems to have the most promise for developing this at the moment, but was hoping there may be some guidance more experienced users can offer concerning whether or not this is even possible with the tools I have available to me.

I appreciate your time.

Tuesday, July 15, 2014 6:27 AM

Answers

• Have a look at WASP from Codeplex:

http://wasp.codeplex.com/

[string](0..33|%{[char][int](46+("686552495351636652556262185355647068516270555358646562655775 0645570").substring(($_*2),2))})-replace " "

• Proposed as answer by jrv Tuesday, July 15, 2014 1:23 PM
    • Marked as answer by ScriptingWife Monday, August 11, 2014 11:52 PM
    Tuesday, July 15, 2014 1:20 PM

All replies

• Hi J2383,

I'd guess it's possible. It absolutely is possible to read from an access database. Whether it is possible to input the data into the ticket system depends on whether you got a useful data-interface for it. Does it use a regular SQL Database and do you know how to create the tickets in it?

Anyway, powershell can handle various input types - Databases, Excel Files, Csv, Xml, ... - so figure out how you get the data, and just how you want to enter it into the ticket system and the rest of the script almost writes itself (and in case of trouble, feel free to post a question here with the specific scripting problem).

Cheers,
    Fred

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Tuesday, July 15, 2014 7:35 AM
  • Unfortunately this is usually not possible with Windows.  There is no reliable way to poke into a GUI from an external program.  This is a basic limitation of Windows scripting.  It can, however, be done from a compiled program that is designed to hook the window internally.  There are programs used for testing that can be scripted to do what you ask.  Look into HP Test software.

I recommend contacting the vendor of your program as they will likely have a means or a tool that can do this.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Tuesday, July 15, 2014 1:17 PM
  • Have a look at WASP from Codeplex:

http://wasp.codeplex.com/

[string](0..33|%{[char][int](46+("686552495351636652556262185355647068516270555358646562655775 0645570").substring(($_*2),2))})-replace " "

• Proposed as answer by jrv Tuesday, July 15, 2014 1:23 PM
    • Marked as answer by ScriptingWife Monday, August 11, 2014 11:52 PM
    Tuesday, July 15, 2014 1:20 PM