How to sequence an application dependent on ANY version of Office RRS feed

• Question

• Ok, I admit this is related to my post http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/appvgeneralsequencing/thread/41627f63-5b86-41a1-8327-251fd4245846 but this is very general question which I thought to ask in a new post.

If your application is compatible with ANY version of Office (read Excel), what is the best way to sequence it? Which version of Office should be installed on the sequencer machine or there shouldn't be any? If we install a lowest version, say Office 2002, on the sequencer machine, is it okay to launch Excel from that application? The office should be installed Locally.

BTW, the application here uses a grid control which has the ability to import its data to Excel. The grid use a method to launch .xls file directly.
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 1:46 PM

All replies

• Any idea, please!
    Thursday, July 2, 2009 1:37 PM
  • Hello,

I think the version of office that you are using in your production envirement. If you don't have office installed bur sequenced DSC could be a option.

GRz

Roelk
    The Difficult takes time, the impossible just a little longer.
    Friday, July 3, 2009 11:52 AM
  • What I typically do is have one version of Office locally installed (usually the newest version) and declare that version as the standard for the organization. The reason I have one version locally installed is due to multiple applications requiring Office and the patching requirements. If Office was virtual and you want to make sure it is always up to date from a security standpoint it could take quite a bit of operational sequencing effort to make that a reality. 

Another effect of having many virtual instances of Office is the state separation of the different virtual environments which translates to many different settings for various implementations of the same application. For example if a user changed their preferences for Excel in the sequence App1 + Plugin1 then launched another sequence App2 + Plugin2 the settings for Excel would be different between sequences. Depending on your user community this behavior could be considered acceptable or not.

The versions of Office I sequence are versions that are required by applications that don't work with the corporate standard version. I.E. that Excel macro Finance won't decommission because it is deemed business critical. I think this strategy cuts down on the virtual environment sprawl that can happen with Office but this is one of many approaches. Your situation will differ based on application set and business need but the above solution I think is a good starting point.

www.bighatgroup.com
    Monday, July 6, 2009 4:14 PM
    Answerer
  • My one cent will be to support only one version of office as the standard for entire organization. If that is not possible then try to sequence the application on the Office XP for office xp and office 2003, but for office 2007 you might have to create a separate sequence, I have found that few sequenced application (sequenced with office xp locally installed) does not work on machines which have office 2007 locally installed.

DSC might also help you. But i do not see why someone will try to sequenced such crutial application as office. Not at all practical.

GNU developer by choice ....
    Tuesday, July 7, 2009 9:30 AM